True Detective: Season 3 (HBO)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Brian in Mesa, May 25, 2016.

1. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

True Detective is probably dead

http://www.avclub.com/article/true-detective-probably-dead-237307

Slug back a couple shots of whiskey and pour out a Lone Star, because it looks like True Detective season three is DOA. That news comes courtesy of Vulture, which quotes an interview with new HBO programming head Casey Bloys saying that another season of the show is highly unlikely. And let The A.V. Club be the first to say, “thank God.” Even without the sky-high expectations set by the first season, season two would have been a struggle to finish, and we can only imagine how much of a slog season three would have been.

2. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

funny, I heard season 1 was amazing and season 2 not so much. Sounds like I should watch season one and just put it down.

3. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

Very much so. Season 1 absolutely nailed it. I gave up on season 2 a few episodes in.

4. SO91

SO91 Registered

I wanted to watch season 2, but never got around to it when it was current. I heard all the criticism and never picked it up again. A part of me is curious and might binge watch it one day when I don't have anything to do. Season 1 was amazing.

5. Stout

All I have to say is this:

Colin Farrell is shot point-blank by a shotgun at the end of an early episode, and is clearly laying there getting ready to bleed out. I thought it was brilliant, because no one thought they'd kill a major actor, and only a completely incompetent writer or writing team would schmuck bait us that bad that he somehow lived in the next episode. Well, guess what?

6. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

Surprised no one else has posted about season 3 yet. They just announced Stephen Dorff as one of the co-lead characters this season. been cast as one of the co-lead actors in season 3. Mahershala Ali was cast as one of the leads back in August. Here is a link to an article about his casting. I know he's not that big of a name actor but he did win best supporting actor for his role in Moonlight in 2017. They've also cast Carmen Ejogo as another lead. She was in Selma, Alien: Covenant, and Fantastic Beasts recently. She's been acting for a while.

Here is some info on this season though, and here is the link to where I got the info below...

I'm excited for this shows return. I enjoyed season 2 quite a bit but I know I'm in the minority there. Season 2 had the impossible task of following that first season with Woody Harrelson and Mathew McConaughey delivering some of the best acting in a TV series that I've ever seen. The story for season 1 was good, it started really great but the conclusion was a little disappointing. I think the story throughout 2 stayed more consistent throughout, it was good but not great. Colin Farrell, Vince Vaughn, and Rachel McAdams all gave great performances in that season but the bar was set too high from the 1st season.

I hope season 3 delivers a really good story, that is the only way they'll come close to matching the reception the 1st season had. Pizzolatto is returning as the lead writer and David Milch signed on as a writer as well, he's the creator of Deadwood, so there's definitely solid writers behind this season. Since there has been so much time between seasons I hope they have a great story ready to go. I like the casting so far with Dorff and Ali, both are solid actors who should be able to deliver at the same level that Vaughn, Farrell, and McAdams.

You can view info on the main actors by clicking their names in the first paragraph, I linked their IMDB pages there.

7. Stout

This is happening? Dear lord, you'd think they had learned their lesson with the decroded piece of crap that was season 2. When they had to cajole the writer to do season 2, that was a big warning sign. Great mini-series that should never have continued--unless they were exploring that 'world' and those characters from season 1. Even so, it would have been a tough follow-up.

8. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

I've got no problem with making this an anthology series. I just think they rushed Season 2 after catching lightning in a bottle in Season 1. Having had a lot time to figure out another season, I'll give this one a shot. Brilliant Season 1, awful Season 2 at least gets me to watch the premiere of Season 3.

9. Stout

Oh, it wasn't just rushed. They had to do a lot of begging and pleading, and then throw a crap ton of money, at the writer to get him/her (can't remember) to even do season 2. No wonder it blew chunks. If it's the same writer, although he was brilliant with season 1, I'd have no faith in season 3. Clearly he/she saw it as a one-off.

10. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIM™ Contributor

‘True Detective’ Season 3 loses director after just two episodes

http://thecelebritycafe.com/2018/04/true-detective-season-3-loses-director-after-just-two-episodes/

HBO’s True Detective doesn’t have a great track-record when it comes to keeping their directors, and the news of Jeremy Saulnier departing the show after completing the first two episodes definitely doesn’t help.

Saulnier, best known for directing the indie-horror films Blue Ruin and Green Room (which is a great movie, if you have the stomach for it), reportedly had to leave the project after scheduling conflicts arise. The True Detective season 3 production apparently was taking longer than expected, leaving Saulnier with no other option.

He is being replaced by Daniel Sackheim and series creator Nic Pizzolatto, who will divide up the remaining six episodes between themselves.

“Director and executive producer Jeremy Saulnier has completed the first two episodes of True Detective Season 3 and will be departing the production due to scheduling issues. Daniel Sackheim has come on board as a director and executive producer for the series alongside series creator and director Nic Pizzolatto,” HBO said in a statement via Variety.

11. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

That reminds me. I’m rewatching season 1.