Triathlon

Discussion in 'Body and Health' started by Bada0Bing, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing Don't Stop Believin'

Any triathletes here?

I competed in my first triathlon last weekend. It was a sprint distance, so not too insane.

Half mile swim in Tempe Town Lake
    14 mile bike ride
    5K run

I finished in just over an hour and a half. I was just happy to finish. The swim was very intimidating. When I started swimming a few years ago I couldn't even finish a lap without stopping to catch my breath.

Then learning to swim in open water was a completely different beast. Luckily I practiced a few times in Bartlett Lake and Lake Pleasant before the race. There were several people that panicked and had to pull out of the race or switch to breaststroke.

I'm totally hooked now and I've already signed up for an olympic distance triathlon in June, which is twice the distance of the sprint.

2. coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan Fool In The Rain Contributor

Congrats Bada. There's a sprint event I've been debating later in the year. I've done the whole running and biking thing before but not a triathlon, so yeah the swimming portion is what sounds daunting. Going to an Olympic distance is quite a jump so good luck to you.

3. Bada0Bing

Good luck if you decide to do it. Warning, it's addictive! I've already scoped out the races in the fall (if I survive the olympic in June).

4. Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl Stand down Contributor

Nice, Bada. Good luck! I think you are flying solo in this thread, lol.

5. Bada0Bing

Ha! That's okay, perhaps someone will stumble upon this thread someday and give a tri a try.

Here are some pics from the Olympic distance race last weekend. It was in Show Low and the water was 54 freakin degrees!

Attached Files:

6. Bada0Bing

My buddy and I completed the Olympic distance triathlon in Tempe. 1500M swim, 25 mile bike, and 6.1 mile run. We both improved upon our times from our race back in June. I finished in 2:56:15, which placed me #294 out of 556.

I was hoping the water temp would dip below 82, which would make the swim wetsuit legal. One of the first announcements of the morning was that the water temp was 85 and wetsuits were not permitted (for safety reasons, as it’s easy to overheat). Now a little panic started to creep in as I had never swam in open water without a wetsuit. I count on the wetsuit to help offset my terrible swimming form because it keeps me buoyant, and I tend to sink like a rock. I finished in 42:27, which was slower than 86% of racers, but since I couldn’t even swim 25 meters a year ago, just finishing is an accomplishment for me.

The bike was fun. I was able to pass several people this time, but several tri bikes zipped by me all morning. I definitely need to upgrade eventually. My pace was 18.5 mph, which was just a little slower than the average racer. A guy I talk to at Lifetime said he recently upgraded to a tri bike and said he’s riding 1.5 mph faster now. Riding 20 mph would have bumped me up 70 spots.

I was a little concerned about how my legs would feel after pushing pretty hard on the bike. They didn’t feel like they were about to cramp, like they did in the last race, so I started jogging at a nice slow pace and waited for them to acclimate. After about half a mile I picked up the pace and tried to settle into an 8:00 min/mile pace. I stopped at each water station and walked for a few seconds as I took a quick drink of water. I felt good with a mile to go, so I picked it up and finished strong. I think all my negative split workouts paid off. My average pace on the run was 7:58 min/mile, which put me in the top 25%.

My transitions went well, and my fueling plan was perfect. I can’t wait to take on the half-ironman on Oct 20!

Attached Files:

7. Mulli

Mulli ... Contributor

You rule.

8. bankybruce

bankybruce She is stronger than you! Contributor

That is awesome. You have inspired me to find a cheat pool to use. I have to make this my next goal after my upcoming three main events, (5K, Pat's Run, Rock n Roll Half Marathon) The Half Marathon is not until the end of May up here.

9. Bada0Bing

Awesome. The entire event and atmosphere is so much fun.

My buddy has to swim in a rehab pool at his wife's hospital when his local pool closes for the winter, he says it's like swimming in the bathtub. You gotta make do with what you have!

I'll be at Pat's Run too. I hope to finish in the top 3 of my age group next year, as I'll be up in the 40's group. The 1st place time last year in that age bracket was an average pace of 5:30. I don't think I can come close to that, but I'll see where I'm at in March.

10. bankybruce

bankybruce She is stronger than you! Contributor

I will be doing the magnent run here in Portland for Pat's Run. It is the biggest magnent run of all of them.

There is a high school that has a public pool, but the hours are really wierd in the winter when school is open. That is my first choice since it is so close.

11. Bada0Bing

70.3 miles ain't no joke!

I did the Soma half-ironman last sunday. 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike ride, and 13.1 mile run.

The atmosphere was a little different than my previous sprint and olympic triathlons. Prior to the race these folks were moving with a purpose. I always get my stuff set up early so I can spend some time trying to pick-up tricks from watching the experienced racers.

The swim was wetsuit legal, yay, and went pretty smooth. The 1.2 miles probably turned out to be about 1.5 due to swimming off course and zig zagging to get back. I finished in 46 minutes.

After a smooth transition I was off on my bike ride. About 5 miles into it I started to get some pain in my inner thigh. I tried shifting positions and even standing up, but nothing helped. I decided just to ease up a bit and try to block it out. I guess it worked because it eventually lessened and then I forgot about it. I don't have a speedometer on my bike, so it's hard to judge how hard I'm pushing. I tried to keep pushing the pace, without making my legs burn. I finished with an average pace of 19 mph, which was half a mph faster than my olympic pace a month ago.

I was looking forward to the run, since it's my strongest leg. However, running after a hard 56 mile bike ride is not the same as heading out for a run with fresh legs. I shuffled along hitting a mile marker every 9 minutes. Every mile had an aid station, so I drank 1 cup of gatorade and dumped 1 cup of water on my head at each station. The course was 2 6.5 mile loops, so my plan was to survive the 1st lap keeping my HR at 160 beats/minute and then let it blow up for the 2nd lap. The 1st lap plan worked, but I had no juice left for the 2nd lap. I just couldn't move fast enough to push my HR up to 170. I ended up running the two laps at the exact same pace, 8:45 min/mile.

My primary goal was to survive and finish, but I really wanted to break 6 hours. I had all the splits/transitions planned out to make it happen. My swim and bike went so well that I ended up crushing my goal and finishing in 5:40.

That's it for triathlon season. My offseason objectives are to go back to basics to learn how to swim properly and to find a good deal on a tri-bike on craigslist.

Here are a few pics from the race, including my fanclub.

Attached Files:

12. Linderbee

Linderbee Let's GO, CARDINALS! Contributor

Great job! You must be really proud! Clearly your fan club is!!

13. Jersey Girl

I think we should plan a meet up after Pat's Run in the spring. I know banky is outta state, but I know there are a bunch of us on here that do it. Would be cool to all get together for a Guinness (though I run/jog a 13 minute mile at best, so you'll all have to wait for me, lol).

AWESOME!!!!

14. Jersey Girl

And, for Bada...

:thewave:

15. Bada0Bing

That would be cool!