To Pay or not to pay

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by RugbyMuffin, May 19, 2017.

1. RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin Registered

I have seen numerous posts about fans complaining about paying players.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...adlines-nine-nfl-stars-who-should-be-paid-now

It is not just the Cardinals that have these types of decisions to make. The Raiders have it the worst. A franchise QB, and one of the best pass rushers in the league, if not the best.

I say you find a way to pay those guys if you are the Raiders. The chances of finding another Kahlil Mack are very slim, and finding another Derek Carr even slimmer.

Thoughts ? Because this is part of life in the NFL. With Brady being the only player who I have seen to take a ridiculously low ball contract in any sport as he has had. The Patriots have some little quirks about them that we may never see again.

If Brady was paid as any other QB of his level is paid, the Patriots would not have the depth they do. That is NOT going to happen anywhere else. Just to put that to bed before this is discussed, ......lol, if it is even discussed at all.

BigRedRage likes this.
  2. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

Of course you pay them both, two of the premier positions on your football team happen to be staffed by very good players, both young and in their prime.

dreamcastrocks and Mainstreet like this.
  3. TRW

TRW Registered

Have to pay those types of players. No question.

4. Reign Blood

Reign Blood Tattooed Hundredaire

In the immortal words of William Shakespeare ...

'To pay or not to pay that is the question"

Lmao

BigRedRage likes this.
  5. Ronin

Ronin Mad scientist behind the keyboard Contributor

Pay them and then hope they do not get fat and lazy.:)

6. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

The way I see it, my chief responsibility as a fan is to root for the Cards and make sure I have nough beer in the fridge.

Worrying about who's being paid how much is above my pay grade. I used to do a lot of that before I retired - Watching football is my escape from all of that. It's Michael B's money. Let him and his FO make sure the dollars line up. Thinking about caps, comps and terms gives me a headache

cardncubfan, gimpy and DemsMyBoys like this.
  7. RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin Registered

Understood. But this is not that complicated.

You have said player, he plays at said level, do you pay him said salary for said production ?

8. kerouac9

kerouac9 Blocked by @Cardschatter

I think you can have 6-8 "max" players on your roster. How you allocate those positions will define whether you succeed. Somehow, New England has a bunch of rookies and mid-level guys—they're the exception that proves the rule.

Two quibbles with you:

1) Khalil Mack is more than a pass rusher. He's one of the most distruptive defensive players in the NFL. He might be the best defensive player besides Von Miller.

2) How sure are we that Derek Carr is good? He was 34th in DVOA as a rookie, 13th in 2015, and 6th last year. He had the lowest sack rate in the league last year, and he has a budding superstar at WR in Cooper and another above-average WR in Michael Crabtree. The fifth-year option for him is going to be hugely important, because the Raiders can buy time to find out if he's for real or if he's Kirk Cousins.

So, yeah. The Raiders should probably pay them both. They'll also pay Cooper. And they'll still have money left over.

Solar7 likes this.
  9. BigRedRage

IMO, he has clearly shown good enough to be your franchise QB. I would take him to succeed Palmer in an instant. Even your DVOA shows he is improving every year. Yeah, he has a stud WR, that doesnt discount him as a QB IMO.

daves likes this.
  10. kerouac9

I'd like another season of him playing well before I give him $50M guaranteed. The Raiders were 7th in offensive DVOA and 4th in passing DVOA with the third-hardest schedule in the NFL. I'm not saying he's Blaine Gabbert (who is butt), but the sample size is very small. There is a lot to be excited about there.

We could have had him to succeed Palmer, but he wasn't good enough. That's what was so mystifying to me about people who thought we'd draft Mahomes, who is clearly a worse QB prospect than Carr was.

11. WildBB

WildBB BB - BIG BIRD

The Raiders would be stupid to let Mack or Carr walk. They've come up from the pits. Why would they want to go back there? ;)

BigRedRage likes this.
  12. BigRedRage

But if they dont pay him, they go back to the QB carousel. I dont think that would be very smart. He is a starting QB in this league so he is worth whatever the going rate is IMO.

Maybe I am just paranoid but you have to be realistic about what your options are if you drop a proven starting QB from your roster.

13. Mitch

Mitch Crawled Through 5 FB Fields

Carr and Mack are no brainers. The 4-5 players every team wants to find and play are a franchise QB, a left tackle, a #1 WR, a stud edge rusher and a #1 CB.

Solar7 likes this.
  14. kerouac9

It's cool. There are two definite tiers of veteran QB contracts right now. Andrew Luck and Joe Flacco and Cam Newton got contracts that are painful for their teams to escape. Ryan Tannehill and Alex Smith and Andy Dalton got contracts that were effectively two-year extensions with annual team options for the next three years.

Russell Wilson is an outlier because he had a year at $700k left on his contract when he extended.

I just don't know if Derek Carr and lead you to a championship. Yet.

15. RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin Registered

Mack had as many sacks as Chandler Jones last year, and Chandler Jones was hardly a no brainer to pay him, at least that was a popular opinion on this board.

Just sayin'

To me ? Signing Chandler Jones was a no brainer. Just wonder where the line is with this talk sometimes.