TJ Warren now

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by JCSunsfan, Nov 13, 2017.

1. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

2. Finito

Finito Registered

That's great but he really needs to be more agressive he goes for long stretches where he just goes unnoticed

3. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

Warren needs to be on the bench, advanced stats show he is MUCH more effective when he isn't playing with Devin Booker on the floor.

Matt L likes this.
  4. Matt L

Matt L formerly known as mattyboy

I think his best role would be 6th man/primary scoring option with the second unit.

5. Superbone

Superbone Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan

But even less advanced stats show that players on the bench don't produce... well, anything. :p

AZCrazy likes this.
  6. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

The downside to that, then, is that Devin will have no NBA quality player to support him on the court. To keep everyone from collapsing on him.

Tyson Chandler is the only such player on the team, but (A) he is a Center and (B) he is in the twilight of his career.

7. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

We'd probably be best suited having them learn how to play together.

8. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

It's a catch 22. Stats say he would be a good sixth man but this team is not 6 men deep.

leclerc and CardsSunsDbacks like this.
  9. Raze

Raze Registered

The problem with Warren currently is that he is a poor compliment to Booker. He's an above average scorer and a below average defender. (Every game I yell at the TV due to his lack of defensive IQ). Booker is an elite scorer and is approaching the level of an average defender. They have similar strengths and weaknesses.

This team is not losing because they can't score (currently #14 at 106.1/gm).
    They are losing because they can't defend (currently dead last at 115.1/gm).

Ideally, you want Booker's complimentary to be a PG who can 3&D and dish. (Currently not one on the team).
    You want his SF to slash and defend (future Josh Jackson).

Right now we don't have either. Thus, we aren't complimenting our best player and we're losing because of it.

I really like Warren's O. I hate is D. Thus, I hate him playing alongside Booker. For the time being, he should be out when Booker is in. In when Booker's out.

10. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

I can see staggering their playing time so one of the two is always on the court but TJ deserves more than 15 minutes a night. He's clearly the 2nd best player on the team right now and we shouldn't bench him just so we can add offense to our 2nd unit or because of how he plays with Booker. Clearly they're both producing while playing together and there isn't another player on the team that warrants sitting TJ. You don't just hand out starting jobs and bench your best players in the NBA.

SirStefan32 likes this.
  11. 95pro

95pro Registered

They don't necessarily have to start the game together. But their minutes should be staggered less as the game goes on, meaning they should play more together in the 2nd half of a game.

12. NashDishesDimes

NashDishesDimes Registered

Nonsense, they need to play together. They just lost a cornerpiece of the offense in Bledsoe, give them time. Not to mention the 35 they each dropped in beating Minny.

TJ is a very very good overlooked player and deserves full playing time as the second scoring option in the offense.

13. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

I don't think Booker and Warren have issues playing together, the team needs a PG who can get both of them going at the same time.

SirStefan32 likes this.
  14. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

It would help, but we don't even need that. Just give them time to figure out where the other likes to get the ball so they can look for each other instead of the "my turn, your turn" thing they have going.

TJ also needs to get a little more active when the ball isn't in his hands... he gets kind of invisible. Booker almost always seems to be in motion, I love it about him.

15. NashDishesDimes

NashDishesDimes Registered

TJ will become a better passer on that drive and kick to Dbook spotting up, hes still learning and has just recently become a focal point of the offense, give it time, no concern at all for me at this time.

Besides, that would mean more minutes for josh jackson, who i was in favor of drafting but the guy is no where near ready to see any NBA floor.