Thought on QB Prospects - Baker Mayfield

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Harry, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Mitch

Mitch Crawled Through 5 FB Fields

I prefer QBs who are intense and who play with emotion. Like Carson Wentz. Like Drew Brees. Like Tom Brady. Baker Mayfield brings a passion and skill set that makes everyone around him better. If he plays for the right coach, Mayfield will do the same in the NFL. BA is not that coach. It would have to be someone like Pat Shurmer or Scott Linehan.

WisconsinCard and Buckybird like this.
  2. Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion

Max Hall had a lot of moxie. He just needed the right coach.

CardNots likes this.
  3. AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy Magnanimous

And less cocaine.

4. AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy Magnanimous

With all this noise surrounding Mayfield...decided to watch some game film on him against a defense that actually has talent. After watching...you can see his grit in the pocket, ability to scramble and extend plays, keep his eyes downfield, and read through progressions when his #1 isn't open. Oklahoma runs a very, very friendly QB offense though...many of his throws are within 2 yards of the LOS, and you hear the term "wide open" quite often, so a lot of his success, statistically speaking, is coming from great play design by Oklahoma...which asks you to make some very easy throws to some wide open receivers/backs. He did have some nice sideline throws throughout the game (that his receivers dropped), and his head is on a swivel...always looking to throw the ball downfield. Isn't asked to make many 'NFL throws', but looks like he has the arm to do it. The video says highlights, but it's actual snap by snap game tape...

Mitch likes this.
  5. Mitch

Are you really going to go there?

6. Cbus cardsfan

A better gauge would be Mayfield against OSU in 2016 when the Buckeyes had 4 future NFL DB's on the field in Lattimore, Conley, Hooker, and Bell. Mayfield was a more pedestrian 17 for 32 226 yard with 2TD's and 2 ints.

7. AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy Magnanimous

I thought about it, but I felt that would've been an unfair judgement, since Mayfield has definitely improved this year. I would hate to be an NFL scout/team trying to project how Mayfield would transition into an NFL offense, because with the way Oklahoma runs its offense...they'd hardly ever score points in the NFL.

8. WildBB

WildBB BB - BIG BIRD

Yeah, by a wide margin too. I agree that Mayfield will have a pretty rough 1st year in the NFL. But if he can make it anywhere, an indoor stadium controlled environment would be his best bet in the nfl, imo.

9. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

many folks dont remember that Brees had a hard time in the nfl when he was young. But dude went out and hired a QB coach in the off season to help him get better...alas san diego drafted rivers anyway and let him walk due to his shoulder surgery...the rest as they say is history...brees has a ring, san diego does not.
    I have said from the beginning that mayfield reminds me of flutie, and that aint a bad thing...flutie was a decent qb, very squirrely... but if mayfield can be the "next" drew brees it will be worth the growing pains for whoever drafts him. would actually be funny to see the saints trade up and pick him...teams are not likely to double down on undersized qb's

Mitch likes this.
  10. Buckybird

Buckybird Hoist the Lombardi Trophy

Come on Jim :doi:

I get that you don't like QBs under 6'3" & I'll accept that but comparing the 2 is very closed minded. Baker may or may not work out but his skill set is head & shoulders (pardon the pun) better than Moxie Max!!!

11. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

yeah...when the clock strikes midnight on draft day: Baker Mayfield will have already had a better NFL career than Max Hall

Buckybird likes this.
  12. Buckybird

Buckybird Hoist the Lombardi Trophy

Would Haley be a good fit? We know Linehan isn't going anywhere & I've never been a Shurmer fan.

13. Cbus cardsfan

I was just messing around and ribbing Mitch a little.

Mitch likes this.
  14. Mitch

Why wouldn't Linehan take a head coaching job?

What Lineman is doing with Dak, he could readily do for Mayfield. Clearly too, he can coach up offensive linemen. Jonathan Cooper looks comfortable in his system.

I like Todd Haley and I think he is capable...but he wouldn't be my first choice, not for Mayfield.

15. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

Haley would be like,..my ninth choice,,...because all the good choices said no, and the one I could live with died in a horrible train accident. didnt like him when he was here and saw nothing in his other jobs to endear me towards him as a head coach.
    would almost be tempted to trot SK out there in a double duty role

DVontel likes this.