The Problem We Democrats Face

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Chris_Sanders, Nov 7, 2004.

1. arthurracoon

arthurracoon The Cardinal Smiles

Which means Hilary would win.

2. Shane

Shane Future STAR Contributor

Black is one reason. But far from the only. I do think that a Black President could be elected if it were the right person(Powell). Certianly not Obama!

One decent speech and one landslide election against a token candidate does not a superstar make.

3. krepitch

krepitch Moderator Contributor

Are these the only two things you know about him?

I think if you knew more, you'd understand why people are talking about him being President eventually.

4. AzCards21

AzCards21 Registered User

This is where your message gets lost in the brevado. At the time of the election 95% of all Americans were employed. They may not have had the dream job we all want but employment was retained.

The unbelievable amount of screaming over job losses and and how bad the economy is just didn't ring true.

Advice to Dems? Stop being so melodramatic, this crap about conspiracies and the sky is falling makes for good Hollywood but it just doesn't fit in the majority of our lives.

Screaming bloody murder about not having jobs when 95% of us have to get up for work in the morning is just stupid.

Sometimes things just aren't that bad. 100% of us can be convinced it could be better though. Maybe that tactic would work. Chicken Little would have been proud of the Dem campaign this go around. The results were the same.

5. krepitch

krepitch Moderator Contributor

He would have been just as proud of the Republican campaign.

6. Shane

Shane Future STAR Contributor

I know more. Just the only things that are remotely impressive or worthy of merit.

7. mattyboy

mattyboy Registered

tell us more about obama because i dont really know anything about him

8. ajcardfan

ajcardfan I see you. Contributor

I didn't think the economy was all that bad in 1992. It's all about perception among the voters. Back then, they bought it. This time, with more ammo at the Dems disposal, they didn't.

9. Gee!

Gee! BirdGang Contributor

One of the problems with democratics, especially in the southwest states is this. As the hispanic population increases they believed they would vote D. But the statistics showed that they voted for Bush. Why? In the hispanic culture family values is a big deal. Parading around with celebrities on the campaign trail is not what a common man does. Once the D's either change this, or the perceived perception of this, it will get no better.

10. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

Barack had a big lead in the polls over Jack Ryan, before he dropped out of the race. Barack was going to beat anyone the Republicans put out there. He wouldn't have gotten the margin he did, but he would have won by 20 points, minimum.

11. DjaugheOld

DjaugheOld Ads by Google

That can be debated...would he have won? The odds were in his favor. However - it should be noted that both of his opponents (demo and repub.) both had scandals that surfaced (restraining order from wife & the other one had an extramarital affair). So he practically ran unopposed.

Throwing in Keyes was definately a waste of time because everyone got to see how extreme his views were.

During the race Barack actually helped out alot of other democrats in their respected races all over the country by raising money. He will definately not be your avarage rookie going to congress.

12. RedStorm

RedStorm Next NY Gov Contributor

I disagree with your representation that only liberals are concerned about the poor, women's rights, the environment, etc. If that is what you meant then I have to disagree. Both sides care about these issues but it is policies that each side disagees on.

13. nidan

nidan Oscar Contributor

Tray talking to Shane, he seems to think that it is their own fault an we should do nothing to help.

14. DjaugheOld

DjaugheOld Ads by Google

Democrats shouldn't panic over the election. They ran a tough campaign against a president during war time and came close to winning. One freakin state and everyone would be talking about the demise of the republican party.

The only thing I would give advice is not to be so polarizing on religious groups.

15. AzCards21

AzCards21 Registered User

We're saying pretty much the same thing I think. With all of the doom and gloom about lost jobs most people look around and see everyone working that wants to. They had ammo, it was just blanks.