The Official US Soccer thread

Discussion in 'World Sports' started by coyoteshockeyfan, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

That was an excellent game against Portugal last night. Not because of the scoreline (which should have been 2-0, btw), but because of the great showing given by the young kids. All positives, for me, except for Horvath, who should never see the field again. Absolute howler of a goal let in to gift Portugal a goal. How does he respond? An absolute howler of a clearance kick on the ground, down the middle of the pitch, right to Portugal, that should have led to a second goal.

So, no Horvath for me, but man, there were some great performances out there last night.

lorenzotexan likes this.
  2. lorenzotexan

lorenzotexan Registered User

I still can’t watch. I need to get over it. Why is Bruce arena on fox? Fox sports may fail now. Just sayin.

It would have been nice to see some of those guys in a real match and less of the old lazy people who don’t chase the ball.

As far as the match it is nice to see young players do well. I recently read Pulisic comments on youth (16-18) saying that’s where we are lagging. Recently a Liverpool supporter told me the same thing. He said American colleges ruin our football development. It’s tough for American because Pulisic is definitely the exception. Most young americans sit on the bench in Europe.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  3. Stout

I'm definitely missing something about 17-year old soccer players and MLS, something that stunts their growth. Rostering, I think they called it? What's that about?

It was neat to watch Arena and Lallas on set, with the tension between them. They ended up very civil with one another, but you could tell it was simmering.

lorenzotexan likes this.
  4. lorenzotexan

Idk much about mls. I never watch. Pulisic specifically called them out for not playing and developing younger teens like euro teams do. I don’t know much about that. But I hear Dortmund develop young talent better than most other euro clubs do. He may have a flawed view but hey who am I to say he’s wrong.

5. Stout

I looked into it a little bit, and think Pulisic is spot on. In the European academies, if you aren't in the first team or in contention for the 1st team, you get copious chances at multiple academy levels as a youth. Top-tier academy v academy games and development. Also, if you show top-shelf talent, the European teams are much more proactive in getting you into the 1st team--see Pulisic.

In the MLS, if they snag you as home-grown talent, you're screwed unless you are the ultimate prodigy. If you're not breaking into the first team, you get almost no development. Yes, they have so-called academy leagues, but many times those games get cancelled due to lack of numbers and other factors. I think, with the dinosaurs running a lot of soccer in this country, a guy like Pulisic might not even be playing in the MLS, because of stunted growth.

I don't know everything about it, by any means. Makes for an interesting topic, thought.

6. lorenzotexan

That is spot on. Clear to me now. scary to think that Pulisic could be on a mls bench. I really hope he comes to England. I got to see him play in person at Wembley. He would fit very well on many sides.

7. lorenzotexan

Omg I just saw the highlights from the friendly match. That Portugal goal lol!

Such a shame that John brooks and Geoff Cameron could not pair in our defence. Brooks was hurt and Cameron(a guy who at times is a holding player in the premier league) was a healthy scratch at Trinidad. Damn you arena!

It’s a shame a few players in their prime will be wasted for years at the international level for USA. By the time 2022 hits yedlin and brooks will be geezers. But maybe this is the only way they will change at the top....USA needs to go away from the status quo. Which means gulati needs to go!

8. Stout

Nah, I think Yedlin and Brooks have two cycles in them yet.

lorenzotexan likes this.
  9. lorenzotexan

I hope so. SOmetimes I forget how young yedlin is. brooks is our best central defender and it is not close. hopefully some of these young guys will step up and take his spot as he gets older. he's not consistent all the time on the national side, but who has been? its a shame he got injured. with brooks and Cameron out of there we had no one back there who can play out of the back going forward. basic old school US Soccer at its finest. what bruce arena knows best!

10. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

US Soccer fails AGAIN. More of the same. Great.

lorenzotexan likes this.
  11. Stout

Yeah, they went for change...by voting in the VP of the failed president. Way to go, US Soccer :(

lorenzotexan likes this.
  12. lorenzotexan

I’m glad Eric wynalda and hope solo did not get the job but I have no idea about the other candidates. I’m glad gulati is out hopefully this will end the corruption. I think they did need a fresh hire but someone with a track record of good leadership

13. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

I was intrigued by Kyle Martino.

lorenzotexan likes this.