The Official US Soccer thread

Discussion in 'World Sports' started by coyoteshockeyfan, Dec 31, 2007.

1. lorenzotexan

lorenzotexan Registered User

So Bruce arena hints that he is cutting out the European players for this match. That's fine I just hope Demarcus Beasley does not surrender more goals on an already shaky back four. Is it me or has arena fumbled the whole Fabian Johnson has to play midfield thing. It would be nice to have Johnson as an option at left back and he played well there before. He has been non effective in midfield.

if you want to go with what he says he's playing Cameron out of position. Stoke don't play Geoff at center back very often if ever anymore. I would be playing Cameron at right back with yedlin out.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  2. lorenzotexan

Lol. Good news for Geordie shore crew is yedlin is coming back Saturday. Bad news for the yanks.. it's a couple weeks too late. Hope they pull out 3 Pts tonight so we see yedlin in Russia.

3. lorenzotexan

So far Beasley is trying to give up a goal just as one would think. Why are they still calling this guy up.

4. lorenzotexan

This backline is terrible. Why is Cameron on the bench and Zusi in the game. Ridiculous.

5. lorenzotexan

Ugly match. Terrible lineup chosen by arena. Lucky to get a point. They could not string together more than 3-4 passes and the ref let everything go. Could not play out of the back and Guzans service was as typical...poor.

6. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

Ugh, you pretty much nailed it with this post. Reminds me of a rain game we had against Jamaica years ago (can't remember which cycle). A loss would have crushed us, while a draw kept us going, and I think it was in or near injury time at the end when we got the goal. Not as ugly a game as this one, but pretty bad.

I watched with Mom, as I was visiting New Castle. When I saw the lineup I started screaming at the TV and cursing Arena. Mom thought I was overreacting--until the game unfolded. She couldn't believe how awful Beasley was--because he's damn near MY age, Mom!!! She at first didn't understand why I was hating on Guzan until I pointed out how he continually kicked the ball out of bounds. He has worse service than a high-school waiter, and one of them led directly to the goal via a throw in.

Arena would have HAD to be sacked if he lost that match with that pathetic lineup. It shows he hasn't learned his lessons from his previous stint as boss here. As it stands, he'd better squeak us in, so we can go get a different coach that can organize this team and not select a lineup like an absolute soccer moron.

lorenzotexan likes this.
  7. lorenzotexan

Yes! Thank you. Hope you enjoyed your time up there.

Howard has his quirks about him and will let in a soft goal from time to time. But his service is 100% better than guzan. It builds the attack so much more efficiently. We really have to do something to replace him if he cannot hold up physically anymore. For me guzan is not the answer.

Beasley makes it seem like we have 10.5 men out there. He is on the ground the whole match. I don't understand the value of that. This whole idea of handing out selections has got to stop in US Soccer. I thought it would stop with klinsmann because he knows better and he talked a big game. But he did the same things arena and bob Bradley do. The back line was terrible. Maybe Cameron needed a break but he should have always been our right back with yedlin out. I would also have kept Johnson at left back because we have attacking players. We just don't have enough guys that can get them the ball. I don't understand the idea behind having your worst players in the back.

Stout likes this.
  8. Ronin

Ronin Mad scientist behind the keyboard Contributor

Chaplin likes this.
  9. lorenzotexan

Love it.

Ronin likes this.
  10. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

+1000000000

Ronin likes this.
  11. Ronin

Ronin Mad scientist behind the keyboard Contributor

12. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

Ronin likes this.
  13. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

Yeah, at this point, the best answer is "It's on us. The only thing we can do is go out and qualify to make up for it. That's how we'll silence the critics." That, or some variation on that theme.

14. lorenzotexan

They get let off the hook compared to other countries because frankly the mass sports media in the USA don't care. I remember klinsmann talking about this in the past as well. It seems during his tenure he took the brunt of the blame and negativity from the press because he spoke out against the mainstream sports/media at times.

So it's ironic that perhaps the most visible critic calls them out and they can't take it...Bradley being the main one that I have a problem with his "lion" comment.

And good on Lalas for including pulisic.