The Official US Soccer thread

Discussion in 'World Sports' started by coyoteshockeyfan, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Zeno

Zeno Ancient

Yeah that'll be a great measuring stick--Poland, Spain, Argentina & England, all teams from the past WC. Spain(9-1-2 in Euro qualifiers) & Argentina probably as good as anyone in the world right now and England at Wembley is awesome.

Hopefully we can find some answers at the outside backs prior to those matches.

2. gr000000vy

gr000000vy I scored against Derby

I'm hoping the other teams take the game some what seriously because these could be huge for us..

Spain will be getting ready for the Euro 2008 and will want some momentum going in....

England will most likely use the match as a way to highlight Beckham getting his 100th cap...

Playing Argentina would just be great... even there 3rd -4th team would take us to school.....

3. coyoteshockeyfan

coyoteshockeyfan Fool In The Rain Contributor

According to Soccer By Ives, the US will play Argentina at Giants Stadium on June 8th, 4 days after playing Spain (in Spain).

4. coyoteshockeyfan

5. gr000000vy

Just Gotta love watching the Fulham/Everton match and watching old man McBride out playing Johnson and Dempsey (even though Dempsey only got like 4 min)... also love how Keller out plays Howard... wooo hoooo!!!

Still wish we could use Friedel and McBride at least for qualifying to help these younger kids out....

6. Milgod

Milgod Registered

McBride is a legend, but Dempsey has been Fulham's best player this year.

7. cardfaninfl

cardfaninfl Demographically significant

What has been written by Fulham supporters is that EJ played very well, his speed caused problems for Everton all day. His shots were off the mark and is still out of position on some plays, but he seems to have regained his aggresion and shooting confidence.

McBride's value may be much more than his play on the pitch. Bocanegra was vastly improving when playing with Brian. When McBride went down, Carlos' game declined. Now, Johnson is beginning to show signs of potential with a good game and being named to the starting XI.

8. gr000000vy

i don't understand why people say EJ had a good match.... every time he had space on the outside he slowed down and then tried to do scissor moves like he was ronaldo without the great cross...

dempsey HAS been Fulhams best player all season... i am a huge Dempsey supporter, but you have to wonder why he isn't getting on the pitch with McBride at all....

9. Compa

Compa Registered

I didn't think Johnson had a good game, but he was constantly involved. That should be somewhat promising. There have been plenty of games where he has been completely MIA when playing for the US.

10. Milgod

Milgod Registered

He will, I think he needs a rest more than anything. He will get back in the team soon enough, hopefully out wide this time.

11. English on tour

English on tour Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land

he looked out of his depth to me - imho!

i am sure it was just that game as i i havent seen them pleay too much in the last few months. I i'm sure he will knock one in the onion bag against Sunderland in two week time now i've siad that too :(

12. Zeno

Zeno Ancient

May 28th at Wembley is now official.

Tough stretch for the Nats...

May 28 at England
    June 4th at Spain
    June 8th home Vs Argentina

Its great to see a tough measuring stick, we'll definitely face the A teams of England and Spain being thats they are hosting...no telling what we'll see from Argentina.

Twellman & Rolfe better not make any of those rosters.

13. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

I hate to say it, but we'll get massacred in those games. We might only lose by 1 or 2 at England, but Spain will romp on us, and Argentina...*shudder*...I don't even want to think about it.

We aren't going the direction we need to go, and as such, we'll retain the status quo: Giants of CONCACAF, minnows in the world. Arena got us some respect, and brought us to the top of CONCACAF, but that's all he was going to do. When he left, we had our chance to bring in a bona-fide, big-time coach that could bring a European or South American style and experience to our team. Instead we hired Arena's assistant. ??? Stupid then, stupid now. Add to that some players *cough cough* Donovan *cough cough* who do not try nearly hard enough to improve and instead play it safe, and we're a long way from true respectability.

There, rant over. Whew, I didn't even know that was coming!

14. coyoteshockeyfan

People said the same thing before the US played Brazil last year, but they did alright. They certainly played a lot better than the score would indicate. I'd say more, but I'd just wind up ranting about diving. Again.

15. ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS ONE HEART BEAT!!!

I feel the same frustration...with so many decent options on the table why pick Bradley?