The Official RedForEd Arizona Teacher Walk Out Thread

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Jersey Girl, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl Stand down Contributor

At least

2. MigratingOsprey

MigratingOsprey Thank You Paul!

Ducey is digging in and said he expects teachers back in on Monday once they realize how good of a deal they are getting

3. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Moderator Contributor

I don't see the connection.

I thought he was mad that one of the groups endorsed Garcia a few weeks ago.

4. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Moderator Contributor

This magical deal he hasn't explained?

5. Jersey Girl

Well, folks, it was quite a day! Went out solo since I am one of those educators who doesn't have a dedicated classroom and is therefore not worthy of a living wage.

Road the light rail from Apache to Chase Field. Had 10 stops between when I got on and when I got there. Had to tell so many people at each stop to wait for the next train.

There was one woman on our train who was clearly annoyed, She mumbled under her breath something about people having to get to work. I kinda felt bad for her, but, hell, it's public transportation, so yeah.

When we got to our stop, I tapped the lady on the shoulder and said, "I'm sorry you had a tough commute today. I hope your day gets better." She responded with, "You all should have hired buses." I said, "Honey, we can't even buy current textbooks for our students."

It was an amazing day. The march was supposed to start at 11, but, when we got off the light rail at 10:45, the police officers (who were awesome all day) told us to just start walking because things had already started. THAT is how many people were out today.

As I walked from Chase Field to the Capitol, I wondered how many were in front of and behind me. Seeing the news coverage was so motivating, reassuring, and inspiring.

I haven't felt this good about my profession in 12 years.

All that said, many of my colleagues were hoping this would be resolved over the weekend and that we would be back to work by Monday. I never shared this opinion, but I think this is going to be a long (maybe two week) walkout. And, by their actions today, the legislature may prove me right on that.

The fact that Jan Brewer is starting to win the hearts of some teachers tells you that the apocolypse is surely coming.

Chandler schools are already calling their teachers back to work on Monday. I feel so fortunate in that my district is cancelling classes until this walkout is over. And I feel so empowered and happy to march for those who can't. For the smaller outlying districts. For those districts whose leadership do not support them. For those who are afraid that there really may be consequences from this.

I've already paid for my daughter to go to daycare tomorrow and, as much as I would love to stay home with her and play Paw Patrol or play doh or swim in the pool, I know she needs to go to school and I know I need to go back to the Capitol We can't lose momentum.

thirty-two, Bert, mojorizen7 and 2 others like this.
  6. Jersey Girl

BTW, David Schapira was out on the trail, wearing red and greeting us as we walked to the capitol. He is someone who actually HAS experience in education, which, ****, you should probably have if you want to be the superintendent of public instruction. I know it's really a novel idea.

7. Jersey Girl

There were so many supporters there that I didn't notice one of these idiots.

8. TJ

TJ The Chosen One

Enjoy your early Summer break, Arizona students.

Ducey remains completely tone deaf to the situation

9. ajcardfan

ajcardfan I see you. Contributor

I hate the media for giving these losers even a sentence of PR today. They were completely irrelevant.

10. ajcardfan

ajcardfan I see you. Contributor

He has no clue. We are not taking his so called "raise", that will have a 0% reason it would be enforced after this except for the goodness of our dear legislsture and also letting the rest of school employees, text books and captial building and repairs to continue to suffer. Without these things being taken care of also, he can stick his plan where the sun don't shine

UncleChris likes this.
  11. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

Whoa. That is AWESOME!

12. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

This is inspiring Jersey!

13. TJ

TJ The Chosen One

Keep fighting the good fight, brother. The system was broken when I graduated 18 years ago and it’s still busted. Time for change.

14. az240zz

az240zz Registered Contributor

It would be nice if some of the major Arizona businesses would get behind this. After all we're talking about their future employees . Most of them complain about not finding qualified candidates to fill available job now, If public education continues to decline their pool of employees will continue to decline.

Where are the TV ads boosting the Red for Ed movement?

Linderbee likes this.
  15. UncleChris

UncleChris Retirement Doesn't Suck Contributor