The official GOLF thread

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Bert, Sep 23, 2015.

1. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut rilly bruh, rilly?? Contributor

I can still fight and you're next on my list, Smartass

:)

2. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

Seriously. I thought I was in the "Things That Suck" thread for a minute there. ;)

3. MrYeahbut

Dude, that's funny, even though it was at my expense..

4. puckhead

You know I love ya, Mr YB. :wave:

5. Southpaw

Southpaw Provocateur aka Wallyburger Contributor

Yeah .......... but.............. luv ya man.

6. MrYeahbut

I smoked Camel straights for 25 years too, but I quit so add that to the boring list!!

7. puckhead

Done. :D

8. DemsMyBoys

DemsMyBoys Registered

They turned it into a Starbucks.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  9. MrYeahbut

Ahhh so, but the basement is still fully functional. A review on Yelp said it had been cleaned up of vermin and dirty sheets and is once again suitable for descriminating clients. It's not your father's opium den anymore. They accept Amex now also so I can accumulate Star points as I 'trip' down memory lane.

Dems, somehow I knew the opium den comment in my original post wouldn't get by you. You were on it like white on a picket fence.... Maybe I should have said like white on rice, after all this is Chinatown we're talking about.... :)

10. Matt L

Matt L formerly known as mattyboy

Playing Karsten this Saturday. I haven't played in about 6 weeks....I hope I crack 100.

11. MrYeahbut

Good luck!! I managed to chop out an 87 at Half Moon Bay in SF on the boy trip we took last week. An accomplishment, imho, given the fact that wild tee shots ended up in knee deep grass. The regular rough was at least 4". Tough stuff for a hacker like me.

fwiw, there were signs on a couple of the courses we played over there that
    stated for water conservation they had narrowed the fairways by 30 yards
    so the course wouldn't require as much water or constant mowing. The
    courses are now set up to water fairways from the outside in to keep from
    having water go into the rough unnecessarily.

12. MrYeahbut

82CardsGrad likes this.
  13. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

I hesitate posting this as I don't want to give anyone the impression I hang with some sort of "elite" crowd or anything - I don't! BUT, I just completed a bucket list weekend that has provided me a memory for a lifetime! I happen to do business with a guy, who happens to do business with a guy who is a member of Augusta National... no, that's not a typo! So, 2 weeks ago the guy I know calls me and asked if I was free this past weekend to play golf at BOTH East Lake Golf Club (Bobby Jones' home course and where they hold the Tour Championship every year) and then Augusta National!!!! You can guess at my response!! :)

So this past Sunday we played at East Lake, which was just incredible... the history and how Bobby Jones is memorialized is off the charts. Adding to the fun was I happened to have my game that day and shot an 85 with 4 pars and 2 birdies!! We played the course at 6,300 yards which is shorter than what I typically play here in AZ, yet it was ALL we can handle as the course, not as severe as Augusta, is up & down and you never have a level lie... The rough was crazy thick as well since it was Bermuda and they had it cut at 3 inches... plenty of times a ball would go into the rough and disappear!

On Monday we played Augusta and there isn't enough space here for me to even remotely do the experience justice... The overwhelming thought I had when flying home last night, was that I wish everyone could have the experience of walking/playing the course and then getting a tour of the grounds, facilities, locker rooms, cabins, dinning areas, etc... from a member-host. I was filled with such American pride as no other country reveres the past with such grandeur as does America! And Augusta has to be at the very top of memorials...only to be seen by a small fraction of our population sadly...
    The course itself is an absolute beast! We played it at just under 6,300 yards - which is roughly 900 yards less than the yardage the pros play it at. And honestly, it felt like we played it at 10,000 yards! The course topography is much more severe than any other course I have ever played. Literally, every hole is up or down (felt like most up!). The greens are sadistic! I have never even dreamed of greens like that... just breathing on your ball would cause it to fly past the hole! But the opportunity to stand in positions where I have seen the likes of so many greats stand and contemplate their next shot, was off the charts! I ended up with a 98 and I've never been so happy about a 98!! I had 3 pars and even birdied the 8th hole (par 5)!! I hit a great drive, then an 8-iron that left me an uphill 140 yards to the pin. I hit my best shot of the weekend, a towering 9-iron to a pin that was tucked to the right side of the green. My shot hit on the collar of the right-side green and gently spun left to about 4 1/2 feet, leaving me a slightly uphill, gently right to left putt - which I sunk!

I honestly feel like I can die today having been granted this amazing experience. And I sincerely hope that all of you somehow, someway get to have a similar experience... #stillinawe

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    Linderbee likes this.
  14. puckhead

That's amazing, 82. Thanks for sharing!

82CardsGrad likes this.
  15. MrYeahbut

82, that's an experience of a lifetime... Congratulations!!! There are people
    who would give their eyeteeth for that. Great on you!!

This belongs in the boring post thread, but I had the distinct pleasure of
    playing the track at New Mexico State University on Sunday!!!

#betterthanAugusta :D

82CardsGrad likes this.