The official GOLF thread

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Bert, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Bert

Bert Bandwagon ASU Basketball Fan

We need a thread to discuss all things golf.

What clubs are you playing?

What is your favorite course?

Favorite Driving range?

What is your handicap? (if you feel like sharing)

Tips in general?

I am going to post some stuff on here regularly like the overseeding schedule for valley courses, new products, discounts and so on.

Little background on my golfing experience. I grew up playing golf and was actually a very competitive high school golfer and even played in college for San Diego State albiet very briefly. Long story short, I soured on the golf scene and gave it up for a long time. I went from golfing 3-5 times a week to golfing maybe 3 times in about 15 years.

Well, recently I went out and played with my Dad and I realized that I can still golf and oh man I have the bug again, BAD. I have been golfing pretty much every free moment I've had since. I love this game, I remember the reasons I quit playing when I was 20, but they seem silly now to older me.

So first order of business has been updating my set. My clubs were all top of the line back in the day ofcourse, now they are antiques. I was playing Titleist DCI irons, Taylormade driver (burner bubble anyone? lol) Cleveland wedges and Callaway Big Bertha fairway woods.

I did a ton of testing and settled on a Taylormade R15 driver. I have always favored Taylormade drivers, which is odd because I have never liked any of their other clubs, but they do make a fine driver.

I went with the R15 3 wood as well, but I'm not really liking it actually. I demo'd a titlest 3 wood today and absolutely love it. If I decide to sell the Taylormade I will post here and give someone a good deal, but I'm hanging on to it for now.

The best thing about not playing golf for a decade? One word: HYBRIDS Even when I was very good, 1-3 handicap golfer, I always struggled with my 3 iron. I just hated that club. My teammates would all dread if I was around the 200+ approach shot, especially in the rough because that meant long irons and those were my Kryptonite. The Hybrids out today are freaking awesome and all I can think is I WISH THEY HAD THESE back 'in my day.'

So my friend who is a club pro loaned me a few sets of hybrids to try. I'm liking the Titleist and actually the Taylormades are not bad either.

My challenge now is getting my distance back, which will take time. I'm much fatter and out of shape now than I was 10 years ago, lol, but I am working on that as of late too. So for now I am settling for hitting everything about 30 yards less than I used to but age has brought me wisdom and I am playing smarter golf than I used to.

I played The Raven today and shot a very uneventful 83 from the Gray tee's. (one off the tips)

There are tons of new clubs coming out so post em if you see em.

In closing, I hope this is a fun thread for all our golfing members. I want to dedicate it to Duckjake, because he liked to golf and he would have been all over this thread!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  2. Bert

List of new products either Just released or imminently expected.

[​IMG]
    Titleist AP1 716 Individual Irons and Wedges Feature:

For golfers seeking maximum distance and maximum forgiveness.

DISTANCE - An extreme 360° undercut cavity creates a large, thin unsupported face that increases both speed and launch for more distance. High density tungsten drives the center of gravity low allowing stronger lofts to create even more speed and more distance.

FORGIVENESS - The use of extreme high density tungsten moves weight to the perimeter increasing moment of inertia on off-center hits. 716 AP1 irons are the most forgiving among irons of similar size.

Speed, launch and distance from the thin, fast face
    Even more speed and distance from strong lofts
    Enhanced launch from the high density tungsten, low CG design
    Precise flight through the set from the optimized CG progression
    Fast through the turf with less dig from the pre-worn leading edge
    Fast, lively feel
    Stock Shafts: True Temper XP 90 / MRC KuroKage TiNi 65
    Stock Grip: Titleist Tour Velvet

3. Bert

[​IMG]Titleist AP2 716 Individual Irons and Wedges Feature:

For golfers seeking a Tour-proven design with distance, forgiveness and feel.

TOUR-PROVEN - Tour-proven distance comes from consistent speed. 716 AP2 irons use extreme high density tungsten weighting to position the center of gravity low and perfectly aligned at impact for more speed.

FEEL & FORGIVENESS - The most advanced, solid feeling and forgiving Tour played irons we’ve ever made. An innovative co-forged construction with high density tungsten low and on the perimeter increases moment of inertia for speed on off-center hits.

Speed from the high density tungsten, low CG design
    Speed on off-center hits from the co-forged high density tungsten weights along the perimeter
    Precise, Tour-proven trajectory through the set from the optimized CG progression
    Fast through the turf with less dig from the slightly wider sole with trailing edge relief
    Solid forged feel
    Stock Shafts:
    True Temper Dynamic Gold AMT Steel
    MRC KuroKage TiNi 65 Graphite
    Stock Grip: Titleist Tour Velvet

4. Bert

Taylormade PSI irons

[​IMG]

The TaylorMade PSi irons were designed to meet the demands of the better player with superior feel, an appealing look and consistent performance. The new Dynamic Feel System consists of a multi-material badge that reduces vibration across the whole face. Combined with a re-designed head shape, tungsten weighting in the long irons and forged short irons, the PSi irons deliver an excellent sound and feel throughout the whole set. The look of the irons offer a blade length, topline thickness and offset increase gradually from short to long irons to inspire confidence at address. The PSi irons also feature a new cut thru sole slot, a thin, sub 2mm face and Face Slot Technology for increased ball speeds no matter where contact is made on the face. The low center of gravity helps better players generate the optimal trajectory and distance combination they desire in every shot. The PSi irons come with either the KBS C-Taper 105 steel shaft or the Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage graphite shaft, an

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  5. Bert

[​IMG]
    Callaway XR Pro Iron Sets Features:

XR has taken the Cup 360 that’s redefined ball speed in fairway woods and brought it to irons. The improved Cup 360 acts like a spring on shots hit low on the face, and increases ball speeds everywhere else on the face too. This distance is incredible, and that’s just the start. When you factor in the lower CG, compact head shape, all that forgiveness, the face flex of the Internal Standing Wave, and precise 2-piece, dual heat construction, you can see why we want to get these irons in golfers’ hands RIGHT NOW. We’re looking forward to redefining the iron category…again.
    Revolutionary Ball Speed From Cup 360 - Our improved face cup technology acts like a spring on shots hit low on the face to increase ball speeds. The speed is higher at every other impact location on the face too.
    Lower CG, More MOI and Ball Speed - The Internal Standing Wave is the ultimate team player. It’s refined the way that we lower CG, increased MOI and gives the face cup the freedom to flex for more ball speed.
    New Construction And Refined Shaping - A player’s iron needs a different level of refinement and attention, in this case a 2-piece construction that includes a dual heat treatment. The head shape is more compact, with a thinner topline and narrower sole width.

6. Bert

[​IMG]

The PING i Series iron set is designed using 431 stainless steel, which offers high strength to weight ratio and a softer feel. The head design of the i irons deliver workability and trajectory control with just the right amount of forgiveness. The lengths and lofts are optimized to increase distance with proper gapping which results in a players style iron with a high MOI and a clean look.
    Features
    431 Stainless Steel Head
    Concealed Custom Tuning Port (CTP)
    Progressive Set Design
    High MOI

7. Bert

Taylormade M1 Driver
    [​IMG]

8. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut rilly bruh, rilly?? Contributor

Thanks for starting this thread Bert. I've wanted to it for sometime but wasn't sure if there were that many golfers here and the thread would just die.

Anywho, my golf background... first, I'm a junkie...:). I didn't start playing until I got clean and sober which was at age 44. I have been hooked pretty much since then. I had no experience of it when I was younger as my family was not in the income bracket that allowed for golf.

I got married shortly after sobering up and my new wife was a golfer so she said I needed to learn to play. Well, she says she created a monster and I just switched one addiction for another....ha! I struggled mightily when I started, took me almost 2 years to break 100, but I loved it so much I kept at it and got my handicap to 7 at one point.

I'm in my 60's now and still play once or twice a week, but my game has gone down hill. It's not so much from losing distance (I can live with that) but the timing and strength I had when I was younger is gone and I can't make up for swing flaws now because of it. My short game is still pretty good so that helps a lot.

I've started going to Golftec for lessons and it's really helped. I really recommend it... it's not terribly expensive.. With their high tech cameras and shot tracers the feedback you get is great. At least it's working for me and I'm back to shooting in the mid to high 80s... I hate, hate, hate not breaking 90. lol

I go 2 or three times a year on trips with some buddies, in fact we're coming over Friday to play at We-ko-pa and go to the Rams game... 2 birds with one stone. My wife doesn't have a problem with it because my business keeps me very busy and I basically work my tail off. Plus she and I are coming for the week at Thanksgiving for the Bengal game and play golf together... 3 birds with one stone... golf, Cardinals and quality time with my wife!!!

An added benefit golf has brought me is my granddaughter just loves the game. She's 13 now and has won some tournaments and works on her game regularly. Fact is, we just got back from Torrey Pines as she qualified for the regionals in Drive, Chip and Putt. She didn't win that competition so she's not advancing any further but this was a fabulous experience for her. She finished 7th and was disappointed with that but I told her... hey listen honey, you finished 7th out of at least 500 entrants from Colo, AZ, NM, SoCal, Nevada and Hawaii. Some of these kids came with their swing coaches, fitness trainers, etc and you came with me, a hacker!!... be proud of that and lets go get them next year. (When she started playing she was the worst putter EVER, but she did get the regional medal in putting for scoring the highest in that competition at Torrey)

I have friends who are scratch players who helped her get fitted for clubs. She has Taylor Made woods with XHot Callaway irons which suit her size and strength. I play Calloway too, but Titleist Volkey 52 and 56 wedges.

Sorry for being so long winded, but as I said... I'm a junkie, so what else can I say?:D

9. Bert

That is so awesome about your grandaughter! I cant imagine how proud you are. As for the competition, I went through the exact same thing. Quick story that might inspire her: When you said that i thought, wow I know EXACTLY how they felt. When I tried out for my high school team my Sophomore year, I had never had a single lesson other than my dad helping me, and my dad is a bit of a hacker, not like he's Hank haney, lol. I was playing with off-brand clubs and a hand me down bag. I had been playing golf for years but just with my dad and uncle, it wasn't like serious preparation for my 'career' lol. I still made the team and when I went to my first tournament I was super intimidated. Like you said, these guys, especially the ones from other schools (aka rich kids) had grown up getting lessons at private country clubs and their set was worth more than my car. I felt super in over my head, and I played what I thought wasn't a very good round. +1 So imagine my surprise when I tied for 1st place and won the freaking tournament. lol

Point is, it's rough going up against kids who have had all the advantages growing up, but it sounds like she has talent! Tell her to stick with it and the ASFNers will be rooting for her!'

So how do you like your callaway irons?

I am the same way, as long as I break 90 or (no worse than bogey golf) I'm usually pretty happy with my round these days. I'm pretty sure my days of going low are behind me.

Putting is usually my biggest struggle. I have been considering going to the reverse putting grip, but it feels so unnatural.

10. DemsMyBoys

DemsMyBoys Registered

Indeed we will. :thumbup:

11. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

Love the game. I believe it's the greatest sport in terms of it's teachings and correlations to real life, over and above any other sport.
    When I moved here to Scottsdale back in 2001, I took up the game much more seriously. My ability to play consistently has always been impacted by work and family. There have been stretches where I got in 30-35 rounds in a year. But for the most part, I average about 20 or so rounds per year. About 3 years ago I got my handicap down to the lowest it's ever been - 11.5. It's pretty much stayed at that level ever since.
    I am a long hitter by amateur standards... My drives range anywhere from 275 - 285 yards, and with some favorable wind or a downhill fairway, I can get them over 300 yards.
    Maybe a better gauge are the distances of my irons. I'm told I hit my irons unusually long for an amateur. Here are my distances, not accounting for lie, wind or uphill/downhill shot:

5 iron: 190-195 yards
    6 iron: 175-180
    7 iron: 165-175
    8 iron: 160-165
    9 iron: 150-155
    PW: 130-145
    Gap Wedge (52 deg): 120-125
    Sand Wedge: (56 deg): 110-115
    60 degree lob wedge: 90-110

I play with a Ping G-20 Driver, Stiff Shaft and 10.5 loft
    3 Wood is a Ping G-30
    Hybrid (4-iron) is a Ping G-30
    My irons are 9 year old Mizuno MP-57's, and I love them!
    I putt with a Ping Answer, which I love as well...

I have never broker 80, nor have I ever broken 40 for 9 holes... which often surprises people I play with because I strike the ball quite well... My short game (chipping and putting) just kills me. I'm always good for at least 2-3 three-putts per round, with one or two of those being a three-putt bogey!
    Also, I will typically spray a drive or two as well, sometimes causing a lost ball. Lately, I have really been able to eliminate triple bogeys from my scorecard, but, my short game still prevents me from scoring enough birdies and pars to break 80!
    I have played 3 weeks in a row and am playing again this Saturday! A rarity for me to get in that kind of a stretch! My scores the past three weeks have been: 83, 85, 82. The tees I have been playing measure out at roughly 6,700 yards or so.

In terms of favorite courses... Lately, I have been playing Tegavah quite a bit. It's a hike to get to (far reaches of North Scottsdale down by Rio Verde), but I love the course and the price is right ($40).
    I love the Grayhawk courses, when I can get a good deal. Also enjoy Talking Stick (both the north and south courses).
    The 500 Club is a lot of fun as well.

Great thread Bert!

12. MrYeahbut

That's a great story, Bert. I have 4 grandkids so it's difficult to spend more on one than the others so I was leary about buying her some decent clubs. Well, one of my scratch player friends had taken a liking to her and takes her playing and helps with her short game... he's a wizard.. get up and down from inside the ball washer if he had to. Anyway, without me knowing, he took her and got her fitted for those new clubs and bought them for her. Like $1,200.00!!! I sat in my truck and bawled like a baby because he did that for us.

My XHot irons are 2 years old so they have newer models... XHot2??? or something, my granddaughter has the newer ones. I really like them. Graphite shafts, easy to get in the air and feel great when you flush it. You should at least give them a try. See if they work for you.

You're right about the hybrids... man what a difference! I have a 3 iron too. I use it to turn logs in my fireplace... lol.

13. MrYeahbut

Dems, you're such a softie. You always brighten my day.:)

14. Bert

So I went into PGA Tour superstore today. Man, that place is amazing, like golfer Disneyland.

I really loved how they just left me alone. I mean they dont ignore you, a couple people asked if I needed help but I'd just say I'm just looking and they all left me alone. That might sound like odd praise to some but my number 1 shopping pet peeve is when places dont let you browse and they hound you the whole time.

They have all these practice bays with simulators in them and they totally just let you hit all the demos, irons, they have a wedge and a putting area. Man, I could have stayed there all day after work. Wait, what meant was, I stayed there all freaking day after work. I know it's like a chain store and we should shop local when possible but that place was great I couldn't resist. If you haven't been there and you love golf, what can I say, go there!

Anyway enough about Disneyland. So you guys know I'm shopping for irons and so I tracked down the guy who does the fittings and I tried basically every iron in the shop. It's funny how much things are different in reality than on the net. I have been researching all these irons and I was positive that I was going to end up with Nike AP2's but I wound up testing a bunch of clubs I had never even considered. Mizuno, Nike, Ping and Cobra.

I was loving the Ping iseries, cant remember exactly what number. Those were super nice clubs and I was actually ready to buy them and the guy was like, hang on I want you to try one more set. So he brings me these:

[​IMG]

I was in love at first hit. It's funny because I never liked Cobras in the past, this kid in high school played with them and I hated him, lol so Cobra was a victim of association. But I loved those irons. I hit them and the Ping for a long time but I just loved the feel of those Cobras, so I bought em! Super cool thing was I told the guy I didn't need the 3 or 4 iron probably so they took those two clubs out of the set and knocked off a couple hundred bucks.

So I'll be hitting the course with those clubs tomorrow and I'll give you guys my review. But yeah, Cobra, who'da thunk?

15. Bert

Thanks 82, that is awesome dude, glad you are getting out more!

I am really liking all the new ping clubs. Back when I was playing in the past, the only option with Ping were the OLD ping Zing 2's lol I actually knew a lot of guys who played those clubs and LOVED them but they were never for me. These new ones are great though, like I said I almost bought a set today. I25's that's what they were.

Your distances are really solid, that is pretty much where I used to be. I am hitting everything so short now, but I'm so rusty and I'm constantly worried about throwing my back out, so I'm easing back into swinging full out.

I'm currently hitting: (carry distance)
    PW 100ish
    9 110
    8 120
    7 130
    6 140
    5 150
    4Hybrid 175 ish. Will be interested to see if my new irons can close the gap between my 5 and 4Hybrid, I may up the loft on this one, (because you can do that now, which is freaking awesome)
    3Hybrid 200
    3Wood 220
    Driver 240 (so depressing!)

I was never super long off the tee though, I was always just consistent. I really want to play the Talking stick courses sometime. I hear nothing but good things. I'm playing a tournament up in Prescott next weekend so I might not play this weekend and just hit the range a couple of times. Good luck on your golf outing! Fairways and greens bro.