THE Newcastle United FC thread

Discussion in 'World Sports' started by Stout, Aug 18, 2010.

1. gmabel830

gmabel830 It's football season!!

Brighton heading up to Newcastle.. big game for both!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

This is a 6-pointer, no doubt about that!

3. gmabel830

0-0 snoozefest

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4. Stout

Snoozefest is too kind. I think this one frustrated Rafa a lot. He wanted the players to press on, it seems, but they refused to come out of their shell. The boos were MORE than justified, and the gaffer not hitting back at the fans for booing really highlights that.

As I thought before the season, when Jabba the Ashley refused to honor promises and give any sort of budget (a net spend of less than $20 mill!), Newcastle are in deep relegation trouble. And, if Jabba the Ashley refuses to invest in January, it will get worse.

5. Stout

Massive win. Just the medicine I needed while laid low with the plague. With Swansea at home the next game, Newcastle could be on 25 points after.

6. Stout

Wow, Benitez fields a Premier League side--albeit a NEWCASTLE PL side lol Great to see Woodman getting his senior debut.

lorenzotexan likes this.
  7. lorenzotexan

lorenzotexan Registered User

Lol I read the Newcastle social media feed. Some Fans were loving the lineup others hating his lineup. A couple fans were glad to see yedlin out because he goes forward too much. They must enjoy winning the championship table....

8. Stout

I wonder why anyone would have hated the lineup, unless they wanted to field a weak team in the cup? They have a whole week to recover, though, so I'm good with it. Losing this cup tie at home would have been disastrous for team and fan morale heading into a home game with Swansea, so I'm glad Rafa went for (and won) it.

lorenzotexan likes this.
  9. lorenzotexan

Yeah last year Alan shearer and many others blasted their FA Cup efforts. Granted they were earning promotion but as you pointed out there’s no reason currently not to try.

10. Stout

Not good enough. Not at all good enough. Excellent first half, with the problem being Newcastle do NOT have a Premier League quality striker. Dwight Gayle should have had at least a brace. For the game, I believe he had four free and clear shots in the penalty area: 3 free headers from 5 yards and a free strike from just beyond the spot. The results: one weak header for a save, one howler miss of an open net, one idiotic offside that struck a goal from the board, and one shot pulled wide of the post. Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

And I'll point the finger at Rafa Benitez for the second half. That was gutless managing there. Swans totally deserved the three points. Aside from a surge in response to the goal, and a truly lucky bounce/fluky equalizing goal, they 100 percent outplayed Newcastle. Rafa in negative tactics, pulling back, refusing to unleash the team to attack Swansea, NOT GOING FOR IT AT HOME AGAINST THE BOTTOM EFFING TEAM! Gutless, unforgivable, and he should effing well be ashamed and apologize for not going for it at home. That's a disgrace, and a big middle finger to the home fans.

No reason Newcastle shouldn't have won, even with Gayle sucking so badly, if Benitez had just been willing to go for it. Thank Christ there are still buffer teams between Newcastle and the bottom 3.

11. lorenzotexan

to drop points to one of those bottom feeders at st James hurts. There’s no excuse for that as you said.

I agree it should have been over at the half. I noticed the same issues about Gayle. I guess no need to repeat his failed chances. Diame and Perez also had clear chances if I recall. And when Swansea scores first on what initially looked to be a prayer kicked into the box...that’s always a bad sign.

Stout likes this.
  12. Stout

Major bad news. Jabba the Ashley has walked away from the table in the takeover talks. Rafa still has no transfer budget, halfway through the window. Glued to the bottom of the table. What a crap show.

13. Stout

Well, results went pretty good for the Mags. I kind of won't mind if--okay, when--Rafa parks the bus here. They have a -10 goal difference, which is sterling, compared to other relegation rivals. Another point, if you will. Brighton and Palace learned some hard lessons today that sometimes playing positive soccer against the big teams really hurts you. I absolutely hate, hate, HATE to say this, but a 1-0 loss isn't a bad result here. It isn't a positive result, but it won't blow up the goal difference.

God, does the Premier League ever need something to level the playing field financially. Financial fair play is a joke. And God, does Jabba the Ashley need to go.

14. Stout

It's so weird to be proud of your team when they lose 3-1, but if either Manquillo doesn't make that stupid penalty foul, or Newcastle punishes the keeper by scoring, they manage to grab a point out of an all but unwinnable game. Great goal by Murphy. HUGE defensive resolve in a situation that could get disheartening so very fast. Would have liked to hold it to only a -1 on goal differential, but -2 doesn't kill GD, or morale. I mean, if you (a team with a Championship squad like Newcastle) do anything but try to hit on the counter, you're going to get SHREDDED against Man City. The quality of their passing was insane, and they were on their game. Disconcerted them in the 2nd half through some pressing, but that opened up gaps in the defense. Glad Rafa allowed them to go attack, even down 3-1.

My only negative is this question: What the hell does Merino need to do to get on the pitch? Why is he in the dog house all of a sudden?

15. gmabel830

Swansea just beat Liverpool - kick in the nuts for the entire bottom half of the table!!!