The Man Known as Jim Skane

Discussion in 'ASFN Hall of Remembrance' started by Brighteyes, Jun 25, 2009.

1. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

Jo - After the initial shock of losing Jim began to subside, I realized I'd be looking forward to what Bright-Eyes would have to say.

You didn't disappoint.

I was especially struck by your observation that "Jim realized his ultimate principles. That just as there were real people behind the handles on the Internet, there were real people behind the fancy jerseys and 'big star names' on the field..."

One of the things that has always made following sports so special to me has been the oft'-repeated story-line about one legendary figure or another: "There once was this guy..."

Jim was a special, special person. One of my concerns is that his full story won't get told. You and others here at ASFN are seeing to it that it will.

There once was this guy. His name was Jim Skane...

2. Mitch

Mitch Crawled Through 5 FB Fields

Great post, Jeff. With all of these wonderful remembrances and tributes to Jim, the real import of what he meant to all of us is illuminating the aspects of as you so rightly say, a "special, special person."

3. AzKarl

AzKarl Veteran

Thanks so much for sharing the touching memories Jo. Excellent stuff.

4. Brighteyes

Brighteyes Super Bowl!

There is a way to submit articles -- and I did so yesterday morning. But it seems to take some time before they appear, and I didn't want to wait to long to put that up.

And thanks for all your thoughts and kindness, guys.

5. Catfish

Catfish Registered

Brighteyes, You write beautifully. That was an ablsolutely wonderful tribute to Skkorp. You should post on this board more frequently. You would bring a different perspective and more feeling to what Jim has already made a great place to post. Thank you for your contribution.

6. Mulli

Mulli ... Contributor

I am glad you didn't wait!!! For sure.

7. bigredjane

bigredjane & amp; quot ;Car d s Crazy

Another very thoughtful piece Jo. I was at those women's 101's they were really fun, wish they would start them again. That is where I met Pat Tillman one night and he signed my jersey I was wearing. Lot's of memories!!

8. MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease Moderator Contributor

Jo,

Your best article yet!

Thanks,

Mike

9. RonF

RonF Per Ardua Ad Astra

Thank you Jo for caring enough to share your thoughts on Jim. It's amazing how one individual can impact so many lives, in so many ways. He will be missed and this morning as I drove to my home in Sun City my heart was heavy and full of grief. I reflected upon Jim and others, mostly on a woman who called me son for over 70 years. I said my last farewell to my mother who past away with cancer shortly after midnight. It's good that we will miss certain people and grieve at their loss, it's good because we love them.

10. lauraw

lauraw "Vincere, Aut Mori" !

This outpouring of human-ness on AFSN boggles my emotions; I find myself weeping at odd hours for a man I did not know.. Keep Skkorp's Love Alive!!!

11. WildBB

WildBB BB - BIG BIRD

Thanks for those memories Jo. I will always remember the few times I had the pleasure of meeting his twinkle in his eyes and wonderful smile!

12. Chieftain

Chieftain Free Agent

Memorial data For Jim:

Church service at:

Our lady of Joy Catholic Church, Corner of Pima and Cave Creek Road

10:00-11:00 Thursday 2 July, 2009

Casual dress, Cardinal Jersey's and paraphernalia (within reason) are appropriate.

Burial at the National Memorial Cemetery of Arizona , (VA Cemetery)

12:30 Thursday 2 July, 2009.

Corner of Cave Creek Road and Pinnacle or 23029 N Cave Creek Road, Phoenix 85024

Please bring water and Umbrella’s if needed, it is expected to be very hot. Please no flowers, the family is going to ask for donations to a charity, as yet unknown to me. I should have all the data within 24 hours.

More info to follow.

Fred Sends

Semper Fi

13. nurnay

nurnay whatever

Same here. I only wish I knew him better.

14. Snakester

Snakester Draft Man

Jo, nobody writes from the heart as good as you do. Everything you write has so much meaning. I know Skkorp would have loved your heartfelt words about him. I know Jim is up there making Jesus a Cardinal fan right now. Do us all a favor and keep writing. You put such a personal touch on the way you say things that it makes all of us feel like we are there in person. As an out of towner I really enjoy hearing about the home games.

15. njlawrence

njlawrence RIP, Jim

Thanks, BrightEyes

I have loved everything you have written for this board, but this one, of course, is very special.

You have a real gift that Jim and I spoke about on more than one occasion. Clearly, I am not alone in hoping to hear more from you in our first post-SuperBowl season.