The HC Candidates Who Will Blow MB&SK's Socks Off

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Mitch, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Mitch

Mitch Crawled Through 5 FB Fields

1. Mike Munchak (PIT)---He's a PA guy from Scranton and one of the best, if not the best OL coaches in the NFL. He was a dominant All-Pro LG. Steve Keim and Munchak are in many ways a perfect match. It would be nice vindication for Keim if Munchak gets the most out of recent draft picks Humphries, Boehm and Holden, (and UCFAs Wetzel and Munyer) in addition to the couple OL or UFAs they will acquire this year.

It will be very interesting for MB&SK to hear what Munchak's package (OC, DC, STC) would be. One advantage of this hire would be having a HC who is not going to be the OC or DC...which is an added burden on any HC, especially time-wise.

One irony is that Munchak was fired after 3 years of being the Oilers' HC because he refused to fire some of his assistant coaches, whom the GM Tommy Smith said had to go.

2. Matt Patricia (NE)---If the Cardinals want to go from old school and zoom quickly into the 21st century, Patricia is the high-tech rocket scientist who has cultivated the formula. I think MB and SK are going to be blow away when they learn how Patricia saved Bill B. three hours a day with his tech innovations for film study. Plus they will be blow away when Patricia shows them the prep work he did on analyzing BA's play-calling tendencies. Patricia's meticulous preparation and work ethic are off the charts.

Not sure what package (OC, DC, STC) he will present, but I would bet that Patricia's choices would be smart and very well vetted.

3. Pat Shurmur (MIN)---Shurmur will put on a play design and play calling clinic for MB&SK. He will explain to them why UFA Case Keeman is playing at such a high level and why they could come as a package deal, with the thought of drafting a QB to groom for the future. Shurmur may also have other UFA QBs in mind and a few aces up his sleeve...like the guy he wants to bring with him as DC.

4. John DeFilippo (PHI)---MB&SK are getting with him Friday in Philadelphia and they are going to be blown away by his energy, his QB training philosophies and how extremely well prepared he will be for this interview. Flip will have a detailed plan with precise ideas as to the QBs he wants, the style of play he would bring and the defensive coordinator he think would be perfect match for the Cardinals' defense.

All 4 of these candidates are available this week, as all of their teams have a bye week during Wild Card weekend. It would not surprise me if the Cardinals put an offer on the table to one of these 4 candidates by the end of the weekend, with the hope of sealing the deal by Monday or Tuesday. Michael Bidwill loves to act on instincts and I think he will make a sharp and intuitive decision.

daves, cardncubfan and POISON like this.
  2. juza76

juza76 Registered

Maybe the underdogs wilks, flores or even schwartz will impress more
    Doesnt mean same personality make good chemistry

Keim and Arians are different, thats why it worked

Arians is so different then anyone, a man with ton of experience and strong personality but in the same time close to u like a trusted parent

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  3. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

Keim isn’t wasting any time. There are 6 interviews through the weekend according to Doug & Wolf this morning.

daves likes this.
  4. Zeno

Zeno Ancient

If they do the interviews this week can the Cardinals make an announcement about hiring a coach on a team that is still in the playoffs or must that wait until their team is eliminated? Maybe they can make an offer and have an agreement on principle but have to keep quiet publicly (I honestly don't know how that works).

To be honest I have no idea who I want or don't want from the list of candidates, I just hope they pick the right one.

5. TheCardFan

TheCardFan Things have changed.

I don't get the Munchak love...what makes him a great candidate? I think he represents the old school NFL and the league has changed.

I don't know why but Matt Patricia scares me. Again, lack of knowledge on my part but what makes him so good?

Harry likes this.
  6. cardpa

cardpa LOTR

Should this guy be in play?
    GEORGE EDWARDS, DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR, MINNESOTA VIKINGS

7. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

Two package deals that may be in the offing:

1. Pat Shurmur / Sam Bradford (UFA) who has just returned to practice after having his knee scoped. Paid $18m in last year of his deal.
    2. Matt Nagy (KC) / Alex Smith - One year left on his deal ($14.5m base salary). Trade.

8. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

It's who gets a second interview that matters.

9. Totally_Red

Totally_Red Team is What It Takes!

At this point I like Steve Wilks and Pat Shumur equally with DeFilippo at distant third.

10. DVontel

DVontel Registered

Really want: Defilippo.

Want: Wilks, Shurmur.

Do not want: Haley or any other Pitt guy.

Really do not want: Schwartz or any New England guy.

bankybruce and masterphomeg like this.
  11. Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion

Like Patricia, I don't want Wilks. Rivera runs that defense just as BB runs NE's defense. I like Shurmur because Zimmer is a defensive coach that lets Shurmur run his side of the ball and it's been successful without elite talent.

Southpaw likes this.
  12. Arz101

Arz101 Registered

Is there a 3rd Harbaugh brother that wants to coach in NFL? Jusk asking for a local team

13. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I think it will be very interesting to see what sort of interest Patricia gets as a head coach.

Belichick is a defensive coach so there's always going to be some questions as to how much is Patricia and how much is Bill.

2016 they led the NFL in fewest points allowed and won a Super Bowl with what appeared to be not great talent, that was impressive, but it'll be interesting to see if he can do that as a head coach.

My take is still the same, hiring a Patriots assistant is a gamble there's just no track record of success they're all great coaches when working for Bill and then when they get their own team, they tend to fail.

Redneck Voodoo and kerouac9 like this.
  14. Southpaw

Southpaw Provocateur aka Wallyburger Contributor

No. Mike Zimmer runs the D.

15. CFLredzoned

CFLredzoned Superfly

Something tells me this will be on Mike B's checklist for things to discuss in the first interview. Something along the lines of "Managing subordinates is a big responsibility... We undersand it's very easy to get attached to guys you've worked with for years... From time to time, these guys will underperform and a tough decision has to be made... From past experience, we've learned that in these cases, most head coaches have a very tough time pulling the trigger... If it comes down to it, can you?"

WildBB and BullheadCardFan like this.