The 2017-2018 Around the NBA thread

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Ronin, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Ronin

Ronin Mad scientist behind the keyboard Contributor

2. Ronin

3. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I just needed another PG for the Suns 6 foot and under point guard crew. :p

Perhaps he goes to China or finds his way onto a G-League roster but I think his days of playing in the NBA are not over. He has only played in 14 games this season.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/f/feldeka01.html

4. Errntknght

Errntknght Registered User

Porzingis goes 0-11 from the field as Knickerbockers beat the Celtics. Even more improbable, Michael Beasley hits 13 of 20 for 32 points.

5. Ronin

6. Mainstreet

7. 3rdside

3rdside Registered

Minor but boy did I undersell Capella; 6'10" with a 7'3" wingspan and doing what he's doing...The Rockets absolutely have their big three under control with him on board.

Mainstreet likes this.
  8. Ronin

Jeff Goodman
    @GoodmanESPN

Celtics forward Marcus Morris told ESPN he will return today against his twin brother, Markieff, and the Wizards. Has missed last eight games due to knee injury. "This has to be history, Marcus said. "First twins to play on Christmas against each other."

9. Ronin

http://amicohoops.net/report-bulls-mirotic-still-open-to-trade/

10. Ronin

11. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

ESPN posted an article the other day that I read before watching the Thunder vs Rockets game about how Billy Donovan was trying to reduce Carmelo's role on the Thunder, turning him into more of a spot up shooter instead of a ball dominant ISO scorer. It looked like that has been working for them based on the Rockets game and their game winning streak. They started the year pretty slow, entering December with an 8-12 record but they've gone 11-3 since then. They were just below 500 before their 5 game winning streak. They're now 5th in the West at 19-15. I know they beat Golden State earlier in the year but Paul George had a bad game and they didn't look very good despite winning. Here is a link to that article if anyone is interested. I'm glad they've got it figured out some because I want to see them in the playoffs this year against either the Rockets or the Warriors, perhaps both.

The Western playoffs could be really good this year though with 4 legit title contenders in the Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, and Thunder. It shouldn't be like last year with the Warriors just steamrolling past everyone. I could see those any of those 3 teams taking them down in 7 games. The Warriors are still the favorite but not the overwhelmingly unbeatable favorite they were last year. Even the Timberwolves and Pelicans should be tough matchups in the first round for any of those clubs. They're really young though with Anthony Davis having only been to the playoffs once 3 years ago, and he was swept then. They'll have to make the playoffs if they hope to keep Cousins in free agency. The Wolves have everyone locked in though and need experience since neither Wiggins or Towns has been before. They'll get experience this year and if they're kept together will make the playoffs even tougher next year.

I wish the Suns could make it to the playoffs but the 7 and 8 seeds are doomed this year, they'll get destroyed by teams motivated to get that extra rest by finishing early. The West is absolutely loaded this year. I'm not for tanking but I'm against trying to squeak into the playoffs this year, there is no point in it. Although McD does make better choices at the end of the lottery compared to the top of it.

12. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

The Warriors were only unbeatable in the West last year because Kawhi got hurt, that series would likely have gone 7 games if he was playing. Also the Portland series was much closer than the outcome seemed, lots of those games were still close late in the games, the Warriors just won them.

They are not as good this year been saying that all year. I do think Kerr is doing a good job he recognized Nick Young is either hot and you play him or not hot and you don't, he's found a role for Casspi, he's letting Jordan Bell play quite a bit. Found a role for Looney. He's also getting some key minutes now for McCaw due to the Curry injury that will help them down the road.

I still think the Rockets are the biggest challenge in the West, with Paul playing they're a very tough matchup

13. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

The Rockets are an example of how improvement in one position helps others. Capella has greatly benefited from the presence of Harden an Paul.

14. Mainstreet

15. bankybruce

bankybruce She is stronger than you! Contributor

Man, the Bulls are even screwing up tanking. Winning 8 of 10 and of the best players (Zach LaVine) is back in two weeks. This team is going to mess up a top pick.