The 2017-2018 Around the NBA thread

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Ronin, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Ronin

Ronin Quick to point out the obvious Contributor

Super Max for Draymond Green. I hope so.

2. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

It's hard to envision Green getting the super max from any team. He still has two years left on his contract. If the Warriors offer him an extension for 3 years at $72 million, he better grab it.

3. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

It's odd how some NBA players think in regards to contracts. They'll accept a lesser deal elsewhere because they feel their own team doesn't value them enough. I look at IT in Boston, he said he wanted the max and he got shipped out. There was no one else who was going to pay him that sort of money but he still felt he deserved it. Surely his agent told him that the market for him wasn't great outside of Boston but he burned that bridge anyways. Then last summer guys like Caldwell-Pope said they were max players and turned down lesser deals even though there wasn't a market for him. He signed a large 1 year deal with the Lakers instead. Nerlens Noel had a huge offer from Dallas but wanted a max contract and turned down the 4 year 72 million dollar extension for the 1 year qualifying offer. I don't know what Draymond will get in the open market but it won't be the max, or super max, but I don't think the money matters to him as much as being valued by the Warriors enough that they don't ask him to take a pay cut.

Mainstreet likes this.
  4. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

It’s not just the nba. Look at the nfl too. Honey badger. He was way overpaid. Cards tried to negotiate a cheaper deal. He was insulted and left for the Texans who I believe are paying him less than he would’ve made with the cards. Their egos make them make big financial mistakes.

5. Mainstreet

In today's NBA, it appears a lot of agents are content to feed the ego of players rather than tell them the truth. You give some great examples of players that are unlikely to receive the money they were expecting.

6. Mainstreet

7. Poop Head

It's odd how they let their egos interfere with their careers and bank account that much. I think back to Latrell Sprewell when he turned down a 3 year $21 million dollar extension from the Timberwolves because he said it wasn't enough to "feed my family". He had 1 year remaining on his contract that paid him $14 million for the final season, the offer was an extension, so not even something they needed to do. That was his final season in the NBA because he was 35 years old. No one made him an offer as a free agent because of those comments. I'm sure his previous reputation didn't help but that was sort of the final straw. No one was offering him big money at 35 years old when the cap was less than half of what it is now.

8. Mainstreet

I had to go back read some history on it after your post. It's mind boggling.

http://financialjuneteenth.com/latr...r-100-million-but-now-has-no-house-no-family/

9. Poop Head

I thought this was odd, probably nothing to it but who knows. It's the offseason and there isn't much to talk about anyways until the draft so I thought I'd share this.

Andrew Bogut sent out this tweet about getting ready to watch the drama unfold this summer in regards to free agent signings across the NBA, while also hinting that we'll see more super teams form. In that tweet he also says most players know where they're going already and a number of deals have already been worked out verbally. Here is the tweet...

That's not hard to believe and he's not saying anything directly either. He was in Cleveland a year ago with Lebron and company before getting waived after he got hurt. Of course he was part of the Warrior's title team back in 2015 also. Bogut has experience with super teams. He's not a sports reporter, he's just an old NBA player and gains nothing by making that comment. He loses nothing either if it's false or he made it up entirely on his own. He's at the end of his career anyways, it won't effect whether he's signed or not either.

Normally I wouldn't think twice about a tweet like that but I just saw another that made me think of that Bogut tweet. Damian Lillard tweeted in response to a fan who said he should be traded because they won't get past Golden State. His tweet could very well means he plans on beating the Warriors or it could mean he's asking for a trade, or he knows something about either himself or McCollum being moved, who knows. Lillard and McCollum are the only 2 Blazers that can be named as part of a super team of any sort without being laughed at. We'll see what happens, could be nothing and probably is nothing, but I thought it was odd to see both those today.

Lillard rarely, if ever, responds to these sort of tweets normally. That's another reason I thought a bit more of that Bogut tweet when I saw his. The Blazers are capped out and they'll be paying virtually a dollar for dollar tax if they resign Nurkic. Their offseason options are very limited unless they plan on blowing things up, like many suspected after they got eliminated from the postseason by New Orleans quite easily. We'll see.

Chris_Sanders likes this.
  10. Folster

Folster The system doesn't work.

I'm really hoping the Lakers give CP3, LeBron, and PG max deals while they ship out all of their young talent. That team will compete for a couple years before they succumb to age and will be stangled financially.

11. Mainstreet

It's hard to see Portland trading Lillard but if they did they would want a talented player in return plus an abundance of assets. I can see the Lakers being a trade partner if they do not land top free agents.

12. Poop Head

I can see that, the Lakers getting involved. I don't think Lillard goes anywhere though. McCollum is probably the most likely player they deal. He's a good player but not great and his skillset overlaps with Lillard's quite a bit. I think they have to retain Nurkic also, if they hope to be in the playoff hunt. Replacing a wing is easier than a good big man. Nurkic averages around 14.3 & 9, is still young, and has helped Portland since he around during the 2017 trade deadline. He's a quality big for the right price. Since he's restricted I can't see Portland passing. If they deal McCollum first then no one will offer him a max offer sheet or something they won't match. It'll be obvious that's why they moved CJ, to pay for Nurkic.

13. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

Wow that is crazy.

14. Mainstreet

If the Trail Blazers want to keep their playoff hopes alive they need to keep Lillard, McCollum and Nurkic. Vonleh and Meyers Leonard proved to be disappointments. Zach Collins needs to develop for them.

I remember really liking Vonleh in the draft.

15. ColdPickleNachos

ColdPickleNachos Registered

I was not ready for this picture...