Suns trade for Elfrid Payton

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

This could hurt with acquiring ping pong balls but it also should help the Suns avoid more 50 point blowouts. You got to take the good with the bad and having a real NBA caliber PG starting for us is a good thing. He's not an All-Star and I highly doubt he has the talent to win games for us single handed so I'm ok with this. After the Spurs game it was clear something should be done and since this only cost the team a 2nd round pick, that they acquired with Daniels this summer makes it an even better trade since it cost the Suns essentially nothing.

I haven't seen Payton play much but I remember Magic fans liked his selection when he was drafted, claiming that Payton and Oladipo would make a great defensive backcourt in a few years time. They don't have either of them now and nothing to show for it either so it sucks for them but I'm glad the Suns have a real PG for the rest of the year. Ulis can settle himself back into the backup role and if he doesn't start playing better it wouldn't be surprising if he's not kept beyond this season. They can continue giving G-League players a look after Gray's 10 day deal is finished. I'd rather see G-League players auditioned as backups than starters also, which is how it should be anyways but the Suns have been lacking a real PG almost all season.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Mainstreet likes this.
  2. Matt L

Matt L formerly known as mattyboy

did it affect Nash?

3. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

No. Mainly because Nash didn't shoot from the back of his neck where his long hair was. :lmao:

4. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

After reading an informative article about Elfrid Payton at Arizona Sports (98.7 FM) including video and podcast I came away more informed.

The primary issue appears to be Payton's defense. He knows how to score and he is a adequate passer. Should help Booker a lot by taking away primary PG duties.

Highly recommend taking the time to go through everything at the link below.

By Kellan Olson | February 8, 2018 at 2:05 pm
    UPDATED: February 8, 2018 at 4:13 pm

http://arizonasports.com/story/1408503/elfrid-payton-phoenix-suns-point-guard/

Suns_fan69 and Poop Head like this.
  5. Poop Head

His stats aren't great but they're pretty good, all things considered. He's averaging 13.0 ppg this season to go with 4.0 rpg, 6.3 apg, 1.5 steals, and 2.6 turnovers on 52% shooting from the field and 37% from 3. He's been a starter almost his whole career, starting all 44 games he played in this season and 234 of 281 he's played in his career. It seems he's more of a pass first PG also, only averaging 10 FG attempts a game. Looking over his stats, I don't see the big knock on him other than he hasn't really improved that much compared to his first year in the league. His numbers have stayed fairly consistent but his shooting percentage has gone up. I'm curious what sort of market there will be in free agency for him this summer and what it'll cost to retain him, if he plays well through the end of the year.

Mainstreet likes this.
  6. Poop Head

Just wanted to add that his 3pt % is a little deceptive because he's only averaging 1.5 attempts per games. That's similar to Warren, in that it's a good % but he's not shooting enough to be considered a good 3pt shooter. His playmaking should help everyone on the court though.

7. elindholm

elindholm rehabilitated

Warren is shooting .203 from three-point range.

8. Poop Head

Didn't realize Warren's dropped that much. Last I looked it was around 35% but that was over a month ago. He doesn't shoot many 3's though, averaging just 1.5 a game. So if he were to go 2 for 2 in his next game that would actually raise his percentage a bit since he's only taken 79 attempts this season.

9. elindholm

elindholm rehabilitated

Going 2 for 2 would raise anyone's percentage.

I understand the point you're trying to make, but I think you're overstating it. Going 2-2 would raise Warren to .222. He'd have to make 21 in a row to get to .370. It's a small sample size, but the statistical evidence is pretty clear that Warren is not a good three-point shooter, and it isn't just an illusion because he doesn't shoot many.

10. Poop Head

I was saying that because you'd see the change in his percentage compared to Booker, for instance. Booker is shooting 38% this year and if he were to go 2 for 2 in the next game, he'd still be shooting 38%. With Warren his percentage would increase from 20 to 22%.

I was only trying to make the point that Payton doesn't shoot many 3's so his percentage is a bit deceptive. For his career he's a 30% shooter from 3 but he's only averaging 1.2 per game. This year he's shooting 37% but that's just on 1.5 attempt. 37% is good but that's a bit deceptive since he doesn't shoot them often. That's all I was trying to say.

It's not important though. I've already spent more time talking about this than I should have. I think people will understand the point I was trying to make, especially since this is 4th post elaborating on it.

Mainstreet likes this.
  11. SactownSunsFan

SactownSunsFan TheSixthRing in other Circles

lol

12. Mainstreet

Hopefully he plays well for the Suns. His stats are are not bad at all.

He also seems to be a nice person off the court.

13. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

So. Then. Please explain the hair to me. How does that fit with "never draw attention to himself"?

StreetTruckinTitan likes this.
  14. Mainstreet

The man is entitled to wear his hair however he wants. I judge behavior over appearance.

Phrazbit and CardsSunsDbacks like this.
  15. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

I am ok however he wants to wear his hair. Corn rows, bald with tattoos of sponsors, it really doesn't matter. But you cannot tell me that flap does not hinder his game. Try playing basketball with a baseball cap on. Guys can wear any shoes they want too, within reason. When someone shows up in bowling shoes, you have to draw a line.

leclerc likes this.