Suns Sign RJ Hunter to Training Camp Roster

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by kingdad, Sep 12, 2017.

1. kingdad

kingdad Registered

The Suns have signed RJ Hunter to a non-guaranteed deal where he'll compete for a roster spot with Jok and Millsap to be our backup SG. Hunter was a 1st round pick in 2015 by Boston, 28th overall. He played his rookie year with the Celtics and his second year with the Bulls. He spent most of that time with their D-League team, only playing 3 games with them before being waived at the end of December before contracts became guaranteed.

Here's a link to his stats, he's only played in 39 NBA games, 36 his rookie year, and spending the majority of his time with their D-League affiliates.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/hunterj01.html

Absolute Zero likes this.
  2. Ronin

Ronin Mad scientist behind the keyboard Contributor

Not sure how I feel about this move.

Mainstreet likes this.
  3. leclerc

leclerc The smooth operator

Too bad about Davon Reed. I think he would have been perfect.

elindholm likes this.
  4. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

Made a name for himself during the tourney a couple of years ago, just hasn't panned out.

5. kingdad

kingdad Registered

I like it, Millsap is 30 and while he hasn't played much in the league he's not the sort of player that Phoenix should sign to backup Booker. If someone will be getting decent minutes off the bench they should be someone who can possibly contribute beyond this season and Millsap won't be worth anything to use beyond this season. Hunter and Jok are both 23 but Hunter more NBA experience. I don't know much about Hunter but since he is a former 1st round pick maybe he has some potential and has come to realize how to stick around in the league. Jok may beat him out and if he does it's good to know he's beat out someone who has played in the league rather than just getting a shot because he's young and went undrafted. Let them go at it to see who can grab that roster spot.

Of course I'd rather see Reed out there but that's because I really liked the player he was in Summer League but without Reed or Knight we need someone to cover some minutes at SG.

6. leclerc

To think we're actually getting close to the preseason. Summers are so long when the Suns are not in the playoffs.

7. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

*championship*

8. Errntknght

Errntknght Registered User

Might as well look hin over in training camp. His low FTA (1 per 48) suggests that he's a jump shooter and doesn't look to drive or even slash much but you never know what he'll do in new circumstances. His DL stats may suggest something more but I don't know offhand how to look those over. In the NBA, 60% of his shots were 3ptrs and he shot 30% on them so he's not shy about shooting them, and his good FT% hints that he may develop his accuracy up to a useful level. Good size for a SG and who knows, he might be a decent defender.

9. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Shabazz Muhammad would have been a much better option. He only signed for the veteran minimum with the Timberwolves.

10. leclerc

I always thought Shabazz was a small forward without much perimeter game?

11. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

He is. I also doubt he or his agent would be too keen on forgoing his bird rights (and only chance at a decent contract next year) so he can compete for a roster spot on a team with younger, more enticing options at the same position.

kingdad likes this.
  12. kingdad

kingdad Registered

Once I read about Shabazz returning to Minnesota on a veteran minimum deal because the Wolves retain his bird rights his resigning makes sense. It's somewhat similar to a player signing their qualifying offer, he's hoping they'll reward him next summer for taking a discount this year. I'm sure he could have gotten a deal that paid more for 1 season elsewhere, maybe not the full MLE but at least half.

13. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Leaving Bird rights out of the equation, Shabazz would have been a better backup option at SG than what the Suns currently have on the roster. I'm not excited about anyone backing up Booker. At least we knew Shabazz had an NBA game.

14. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

Right, except Bird Rights are a pretty big part of why he went back to Minnesota.

Sure, he's better than what we got, but so is CJ McCollum and they both have the same chance of being on the Suns. :)

15. Phrazbit

Phrazbit Registered

That is fine, but Shabazz has a say in this too. I doubt he had any interest at all in playing 10 minutes a game, with no bird rights, in a contract year.