Suns sign PG Isaiah Canaan

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Poop Head, Dec 16, 2017.

1. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

Also, according to McD, they worked out Canaan during the summer, and liked him a lot, but with Bledsoe and Ulis on the roster, they felt they needed a shooting guard due to injuries to Knight and Reed. I am assuming that's why they got Daniels instead of Canaan.

2. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

All reasonable points.

3. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

Canaan played more like he did in the first 2 games than the Clippers game. I know he's not the long term solution but he's been solid for the Suns. He's averaging 13 ppg, 5 apg, 1.5 stls, 2.25 to's, and shooting 41% from the field and 43% from 3. I know it's only 4 games but those aren't bad numbers and his composure has been solid and how the 2nd unit has been playing with him is enough that it makes sense that the majority of people want to keep him around. It's not just his own numbers as much as how effective the team has been when he's running the point.

4. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

By 3 lead Centers, I meant that there is not one whom you could count on to finish the game.

It might be Chandler or Monroe, depending on who is starting that day. Or it might be Len.

I was referring to Centers being counted on to rebound more than Forwards. For the first time in decades (or maybe even ever), that has finally been the standard for the Suns.[/QUOTE]

5. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

So the Suns sign Canaan only for the rest of the season. I was hoping it would be a multiyear contract with team options.

6. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

I am sure we can extend if we like. This summer is going to be big for the Suns. Lots of cap space. Lots of picks.

7. JCSunsfan

It’s just amazing. He has been known as a shameless gunner and all of a sudden he reinvents himself in The Gleague. I wish young point guards would understand how much more valuable they are when they distribute.

Teams do use this as a defense though. Lay off a guy like Canaan and cover everyone else and he will go into hero mode. Once there he will start jacking up contested threes and the game is over.

8. JCSunsfan

9. Poop Head

Alex Len is 1st in Offensive Rebound %, 3rd in Defensive Rebound %, and 2nd in overall Rebound %.

Troy Daniels is 5th in TS% at 77.3% and 19th in EFG% at 71.7%.

Len and Monroe are 4th and 5th in Player Impact Estimate at 19.7. I'm not familiar with that stat but the only players ahead of them are Russell Westbrook, Clint Capela, and Kevin Durant. If Capela wasn't listed I think that would be more impressive but it shows how valuable they have been, especially Len considering he played in 5 games compared to Monroe's 2. DeAndre Jordan, Anthony Davis, DeMar DeRozan, Joel Embiid, and Bobby Portis round out the top 10 in that stat category.

Here is the definition for PIE...

PIE measures a player's overall statistical contribution against the total statistics in games they play in. PIE yields results which are comparable to other advanced statistics (e.g. PER) using a simple formula.

You can click the hyperlink above for the formula for PIE.

Mainstreet likes this.
  10. JCSunsfan

All this seems to say that this team could be better than it seems, given a real pg.

11. Mainstreet

Good find.

12. Mainstreet

Scott Bordow at azcentral writes a nice article dated 12-23-17 on why the Suns kept Canaan over other options.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo.../?hootPostID=c5756eb421a7231bcaf9412f34971a36

Poop Head likes this.
  13. Poop Head

Canaan was available when James was signed. Of course he hadn't played yet but the Suns made a mistake signing James only to waive him 2 weeks later. I know it's not a big deal but it's another thing that makes the front office look a bit unprepared. The Northern AZ Suns traded for Canaan by giving up their 1st pick in the G-League draft only to end up not getting to use him.

I'm not sure how the G-League draft works but I can't imagine that will hurt them all that much but it won't certainly won't help them. Glad the G-League isn't a true farm system yet but it appears to be headed in that direction. They've come a long way in the last decade. I'm not sure how the G-League draft works but I've been trying to follow them more each year and with them in AZ now and Two-Way contracts, it's been easier to remember to check up on that team semi-regularly.

14. Ronin

Ronin Mad scientist behind the keyboard Contributor

15. JCSunsfan

I think this is a fairly meaningless stat unless the second part ONLY includes games when Canaan has been on the roster.