Suns sign PG Isaiah Canaan

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Poop Head, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

http://www.nba.com/suns/press-release/phoenix-suns-sign-isaiah-canaan

I'm surprised this didn't get it's own thread. I'm not entirely sure how long he's under contract for, if it's temporary or if he's signed for the remainder of the season. I'm sure more will be available on that soon and that can be posted here.

2. Poop Head

Here is a link to his career stats, he does have playoff experience which should help him stand out amongst our other younger players.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/canaais01.html

He was big in the win against the Timberwolves. His late 3 point attempt that he was fouled on put the Suns ahead by 2 with 6 seconds to go, which ended up being the final score. He was interviewed by Leander and Chambers for the post game show. He seems to be a smart player who plays up tempo and see the court well. It was only one game but we'll see how he does. He definitely appears to be more of a true PG than Mike James.

He played in 27 minutes, shooting 3-5 from the field, 1-2 from 3, and 8-8 from the FT line. He had 15 points, 5 rebound, 7 assists, along with 4 turnovers. He also had a plus/minus of +19, which was the 3rd best on the team behind Len +20, and Bender +22.

http://www.nba.com/suns/video/teams/suns/2017/12/17/1805399/1513485604999-canaan-tom-and-tom-1805399

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  3. elindholm

elindholm rehabilitated

I don't know anything about him, but I recognize his name, so that's good. The Suns need at least one bona fide PG, even a below-average one, to keep James honest.

4. Poop Head

I recall his time with the Rockets briefly, I remember him as a Rocket but he last played there during the 2014-15 season, although he did play 1 game for them this season. He started in place of Rondo for the Bulls during the Bulls vs Celtics playoff series last year though, I remember seeing him there. He was the starter in Philly 2 years for half the season as well. From seeing him play against Minnesota I think he could be another Ish Smith. A good passing PG but he doesn't do anything that well and has been a bit of a journeyman for that reason. He's played PG and SG over the last few years, with Philly and Chicago using him primarily as a SG, which he really isn't.

5. Errntknght

Errntknght Registered User

Probably Canaan's best game ever as a PG I remember him playing for the 76ers a couple of years ago - I thought he was their go-to guy for tanking purposes when TJ McConnell threatened to win a game. He got more rebounds than assists and he wasn't a good rebounder for a PG. 1.6 ast/game in 20 minutes.
    He had one foot out the door of the league, after 4 years of very little improvement, when we signed hi but who knows, maybe something has clicked for him. The way our PGs have been playing, he certainly has a golden opportunity if that is the case.
    The odds are he reverts so we will likely have to be looking for another PG.
    There are a number of unheralded young PGs around the league who have decent stats:
    Jerian Grant Chi
    Tyus Jones Min
    Shabazz Napier Portland
    Delon Wright Toronto
    Fred Vanvleet Toronto
    Raul Neto Utah
    Tim Frazier Wash
    Shane Larkin Boston
    Shelvin Mack Orlando
    Andrew Harrison Memphis
    Spencer Dinwiddie Nets
    David Nwaba Chi

Very few of them are going to waived but teams might be forced to let some of them go because of roster space after the draft or looking to trade them to fill a need.

6. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

We don't need a star pg, just a competent one. He has to shoot decent from 3 (33% or better), pass first, and give good effort on D.

Canaan has done all those things so far, but if there is a better option out there, I am all for it. The problem with our present pg are as follows:

1. Ulis. Passes first, but so badly it would be better if he did not. His turnovers are just astonishing. He is limited defensively because of his size, and he is a marginal shooter.

2. Mike James. He works hard on D and brings energy to the game. He shoots OK, but not good. He plays one on five too much. Does not pass the ball enough.

SirStefan32 likes this.
  7. StreetTruckinTitan

StreetTruckinTitan Formerly NativeAZfan

How many games has he played for the Suns?

8. JCSunsfan

Yes. Just one. We are desperate for a pg here.

StreetTruckinTitan likes this.
  9. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Canaan's stay in Phoenix may not last long unless he forces the Suns to make another move. He is an injury hardship exception player.

Scott Bordow, azcentral sports Published 3:22 p.m. MT Dec. 17, 2017 | Updated 3:46 p.m. MT Dec. 17, 2017

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...opes-he-can-find-home-phoenix-suns/959544001/

Somehow, I hope the Suns can make room for him. Moving a center might be the best option.

10. JCSunsfan

There are other options. Cutting House maybe?

11. Mainstreet

I'm liking House. :D

I'd like to trade a center but playoff teams are waiting for the the Suns to let one go.

12. Poop Head

Saw someone post this elsewhere, this is a highlight of Canaan's D on IT last year during the playoffs. Didn't see that for us but if he can play solid D then the Suns should definitely find a way to keep him.

13. ColdPickleNachos

ColdPickleNachos Registered

Cut Mike James!

leclerc, Poop Head and Mainstreet like this.
  14. Mainstreet

Canaan might be the best PG on the Suns roster.

devilalum likes this.
  15. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

I am guessing House would be the first to go, followed by James.