Sunderland AFC

Discussion in 'World Sports' started by EnglishCardinal, Aug 1, 2004.

1. English on tour

English on tour Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land

4-1 is spot on. The ref a had nightmare, but was good to seem some of the U21's get a run out and do ok.

Mid table has to be the target, we cant keep rolling the dice and getting lucky. Plus we cant count on the wins against the Mags anymore :lol:

2. US_Mackem

US_Mackem Free Agent

Totally agree, 4-1. Never a penalty for them, and two perfectly good goals ruled out. Kevin Friend has never been remotely good to us.

3. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

Me too. I mean, I don't want them making Europe or anything, but I do want three northeast clubs in the premiership in the 2017-2018 season.

I suppose I'll root for Middlesborough in the Premiership this season, and for Sunderland to stay up. I wonder if that's taboo for a Newcastle fan lol

4. US_Mackem

US_Mackem Free Agent

Taboo??? I only support 2 teams: Sunderland; whoever's playing Newcastle ;)

5. English on tour

Very much this!

Back in the day (either side of WWII), my Grandad used to Sunderland one week and Newcastle the next, but you don't get many/any that do that these days. But then he was a top man my Grandad.

6. Stout

Wow. I can't even comprehend that!

7. US_Mackem

US_Mackem Free Agent

I can believe that, in fact, I've heard of that before. My dad and my uncle knew older guys who supported both teams. Slightly different, my dad enjoyed rugby, and was happy to support Newcastle Falcons as a successful NE rugby team.

8. English on tour

Sore subject the Falcons for me, they used to be Gosforth RFC (about 5 mins from where I grew up on the outskirts of Newcastle) and we a run of the mill amateur team that I used to go and watch until Sir John Hall bought them, and turned them into the Falcons. He also bought up the Durham Wasps Ice hockey team and turned them up into the cobra (now the vipers) and also the Sunderland 76ers Basketball team and shifted them all to Newcastle. He wanted to have a Barcelona type sporting empire, but lost a lot of hardcore fans and every single one failed under the Evil empire. All, apart from the Vipers (who now play at Whitley Bay where I live) are doing ok after being sold about 15 years ago.

Anyway, one mans vision/wet dream screwed a lot of people over round these parts. Not that I'm bitter :lol:

9. US_Mackem

US_Mackem Free Agent

Aye, that Sir John Hall has a lot to answer for. Either love him or hate him, nowt in between.

10. English on tour

He used to have a season ticket at Roker, the bar steward.

11. English on tour

Fixtures released today, Man City away first game, away Boxing Day (my favourite fixture of the year) and away last game to Chelsea. The 'computer' has shafted us again!

12. US_Mackem

US_Mackem Free Agent

Was looking for the Newcastle games... ;)

13. English on tour

:biglaugh:

.......Burton Albion!!!!

US_Mackem likes this.
  14. US_Mackem

US_Mackem Free Agent

Normal service has been resumed.

Jeez, what a summer. Just when we're looking forward to building on the momentum from the end of last season, Big Sam gets poached by the FA, and throws us into turmoil. Now, I'm not blaming Big Sam. I believe that the England job has always been his dream, but the way that the FA handled the whole process was criminal. Absolutely no consideration for SAFC.

Enter David Moyes, who was apparently Ellis Short's first choice for the last 5 managerial appointments. Listening to his press talks so far, I like what I'm hearing. He doesn't sound like a guy who's going to stand for any nonsense. And by the looks of what's going on at the club right now, that trait will be severely tested.

After two narrow defeats, I'm keeping the faith.

15. Stout

I think Moyes might just save you guys. If anyone can, after what the FA did to you lot, he can. And I agree, that was ridiculous. Have you lot brought anyone in? Did you lose Kone? I heard he might be leaving. We're about to sign Yedlin--he just had a medical--but I'm wavering as to whether this is a bit of a positive or a huge downgrade lol

Just remember, you lot need to stay up with Middlesborough, so we can have three northeastern clubs in the top flight next season.