Stopping at stop signs

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by Russ Smith, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I'm don't think it was this location. Anyway it was the secret sauce. I think they still sell it.

2. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

Yeah, we used to cruise by the Central Avenue Bob's but the one in Scottsdale was our post-football game hangout for us spectators (Coronado High School).

3. AZ Native

AZ Native Living is Easy with Eyes Closed Contributor

Central Ave was the westsider’s choice.

4. Mainstreet

Yup. That's the one. I think they had a drive-in type setup. It was quite a treat to eat there.

5. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

It depends on how the law is there and what the cop thinks. Many cops have their own interpretation and presumably have a distance in their mind that they consider allowable. I would guess a few feet is, they again don't think peopel will stop smack on the line. But the entire idea of the law is to prevent people from going through these 4 way intersections above a certain speed because if 2 people go through and hit each other, at say 15 MPH it's an accident but nobody dies, at 30 mph someone might get seriously hurt. The distance from the limit line to the likely point of impact is short enough that in theory, you can't get up to that speed fast enough before you're through the intersection. It's also of course because these intersections often also have crosswalks and pedestrians.

In California the law is pretty clear, there's a retaining or limit line if marked that you stop AT. It doesn't say behind and that's intentional. Obviously at is ambiguous, it doesn't say within x feet, but at implies you're supposed to "in the area" so to speak of that limit line.

Interestingly enough someone on the Nextdoor app claims he was warned for doing just that a couple of years ago. I wonder if he was the rare guy who admitted to the cop he knew it wasn't legal and the cop let him off with a warning?

6. jf-08

jf-08 Administrator; Rules Creator Contributor

I've seen this quite a bit Russ.

And then this too: four way stop - say a car is headed north and stops at the sign where other cars are stopped as well in each direction. Another car pulls behind the car headed north and stops. Then when it's the original north-bound car's turn the original car goes. Then the car behind the original goes out of turn from where they stopped, a full car length from the stop line, because they were "stopped" even though it was behind another car. This infuriates the hell out of me.

Russ Smith, AzStevenCal and Southpaw like this.
  7. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero Registered User

Bob's Big Boy on Main Street, designated cruising Street in Mesa, back in the day.

Russ, you've clearly put more thought into this than 99 percent of other drivers. Good on you. Accept that other drivers are idiots and let it go. Otherwise I fear we will be bailing you out soon for a road rage incident.

Russ Smith and AzStevenCal like this.
  8. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

Well the other reason it bugs me is I walk around here twice a day and we're constantly altering our routes because of the way drivers here ignore the stop signs.

The most common response to my post on Nextdoor was in fact from other people who have been nearly hit while walking when someone ran a stop sign

Absolute Zero and Southpaw like this.
  9. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

I see this in Nevada all the time. There's a big bright white line painted on the street that demarks the stopping area: pull up to it. I've even gotten dirty looks from drivers who have stopped 15-20 feet back when I pull forward to the line.

Really, the rules of the road are meant to be common sense. It's not that hard people.

My other pet peeve are those who drive in the fast lane who don't do the speed limit. Nevada's made that illegal; if you are not going the speed limit but can do so, and if you're passed on the right, you're subject to the same penalties for each MPH you were going under the limit as if you were speeding. So if you are doing 47 in a 55 and are passed on the right, a cop can pull you over and give you a ticket with the same penalties as if you were speeding by 8 MPH.

10. Mainstreet

Russ has really got me looking at cars that stop at or near the retaining line. I observe it all the time now. Must be a situational thing because I do not see a problem in my area.

My guess the problem is related to the volume of traffic and the stress drivers are under to get from point A to point B.

Needless to say, I don't think it is wise to confront these people.

LVG likes this.
  11. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

Yeah, don't confront people. Especially in Arizona and Nevada. People are likely to come bounding out of their car with a firearm.

Mainstreet likes this.
  12. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

After a rash of road rage incidents in So Cal more than 25 years ago, I go out of my way to never react to other drivers no matter where I am. If I have a problem with the actions of another driver I don't engage no matter what.

jf-08 and LVG like this.