Stop Eating Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner

Discussion in 'Body and Health' started by Southpaw, Mar 12, 2015.

1. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

So I just wanted to change my eating habits, didnt make the change for weight loss. However, I am down 25 lbs in less than two months and enjoying that a lot too. I planned to change it up for a month but I feel so much better I havent turned back.

2. Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing Don't Stop Believin'

“Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.” Good advice from Michael Pollan. I try not to eat things with more than 5 ingredients, something else I think I learned from Pollan.

BigRedRage likes this.
  3. Errntknght

Errntknght Registered User

I'm in the second week of a 'ketogenic' diet. The general idea is get the body burning fats and what you do is limit carbs to what occur in non-starchy vegetables - salad veggies essentially, which is about 20 grams a day. With such a low amount of carbs your body has no choice but to burn fat - fat is readied for use by the liver converting it to ketones, hence the name of the diet. You have to restrict proteins to about 20 % of calorie intake else the body will convert them glucose and be able to bypass fat-burning.

I made this change after losing 8 lbs the doctor ordered plus another 8 just for heck of it - and it made no dent in my belly fat, which is said to be the most dangerous fat you can carry. After you get the level of ketones in your blood up high enough then you can add carbs a bit at a time until they start to lower ketone levels. (you use a ketone measuring meter, just as you would a glucose meter - in fact the one I got measures both of them - you just put in a ketone test strip or glucose test strip and voila!) If you're lucky you might eventually get to have 100g of carbs. That's 400 calories and 20 % of a 1500 cal diet (my normal intake) is 300 cal (75g = 2.7oz) from protein, so 800 cal from fat remains & equals 89g. I plan to add intermittent fasting of rather peculiar type - eating all my food in an eight hour period. I usually eat like that anyway in the winter time since I don't get up until noon and have my last meal at 7pm, more of less.
    The name of the diet I'm using as a guide is "The New Atkins Diet" but there are host of ketogenic diets described on the internet. Jeff Volek (hopefully spelled right) is the source I prefer - he is one of the creators of New Atkins.

4. Bada0Bing

You can shortcut the process by taking ketone pills if that's to few carbs for you. It just really expensive.

Intermittent fasting is like magic. I can't believe everyone doesn't do that. Just logistically it's so convenient. And not ever getting real hungry is great too. Not to mention how fantastic it is for your health.

Southpaw likes this.
  5. Linderbee

Linderbee Let's GO, CARDINALS! Contributor

I had never even heard of it before these posts.

If anyone else is reading and wondering what it is all about like I was, this website was incredibly informative/helpful: http://jamesclear.com/the-beginners-guide-to-intermittent-fasting

Southpaw likes this.
  6. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

Been doing a 24 hour fast once a week for the past 9 months. I've been on an exercise and eating plan for the past 24 months (www.fitfatherproject.com) and have dropped 40 pounds over that time. The eating plan is closely aligned with a ketogenic diet...though it allows for carbs, but specific to healthy carbs (quinoa, faro, brown rice, sweet potato, etc..). My fast is from dinner on Wednesday night to dinner on Thursday night. The short and long-term benefits from fasting (caloric restriction) are immense.

Linderbee likes this.
  7. Bada0Bing

Yeah! That's a great summary you linked to. Sometimes I forgot how far down the rabbit hole I am when it comes to fitness and nutrition.

Nice. I used to have a bodybuilder's mentality where you needed to be eating every 3 hours minimum and at least 6 meals per day. Pretty ridiculous now that I look back.

Southpaw likes this.
  8. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

Thats how I am building my body. Lots of meals and little exercise.