Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Discussion in 'Movies and Entertainment' started by Brian in Mesa, May 20, 2014.

1. AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy Magnanimous

Pretty much how I felt about it as well. Was actually wondering what time it was several times to see when it was going to end.

2. MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease Moderator Contributor

Sad to say my wife and I were doing the same thing.

3. Bert

Bert Bandwagon ASU Basketball Fan

YES. This is exactly what I said leaving the theater. That scene was so freaking lame it honest took me like 5 mins to get back into the movie.

Why would they not just have that be the end for her? Why would they instead using that as a logical end for her character, instead have her survive in the MOST IMPLAUSIBLE way possible.

Leia who as far as we know has never used force powers other than 'sensing' that Han was dead can suddenly use the force to survive the vacuum of space and not only that, go full superman and fly through space... But Luke, the trained Jedi master,,,, couldn't handle the stress of Astral Projection.

Anyways, I'm with you. When that happened, I laughed out loud and a guy behind me audibly laughed and said; "Whaaaat?"

4. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

I muttered "I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!"

5. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

This is just a shot in the dark, but could it be because Carrie Fisher wasn't passed away when the movie was finished being edited?

Bert and bankybruce like this.
  6. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

Ep9 Could start at her funeral. How she died could be any reason.

There's plenty of stock footage the could be cg'd for a coffin shot and that is one way to bring closure to Leia on screen.

7. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

This is exactly what I was thinking.

8. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Is it so unthinkable that once leia learned of her genetics Luke taught her some force tricks? I mean we hadn’t seen them in 30 years, right? Just sayin . . .

WaywardFan and Covert Rain like this.
  9. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

she demonstrated some force ability in Empire strikes back... remember when Luke was hanging below cloud city??
    He reached out with the force and she was able to hear him... pretty sure someone who is force silent would not hear... but he knew she would hear

10. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

She’s always been force-sensitive but has never had Jedi powers.

Bert likes this.
  11. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

Actually we did in the original movies get a taste of her force powers. As far as I know only two people with force powers can mentally contact each other. Which means both must have the ability. In ESB she hears Luke and the scene appears to indicate they connected. Similar to how Luke connected with Vader. In ROTJ she mentions she could sense her mother’s feelings even though she wasn’t born yet. She later tells Han that she somehow has always known that Luke was her brother.

So she may not have had any formal training as a Jedi but she has demonstrated some powers of the force. I think it’s unrealistic that during all the years after ROTJ that she doesn’t learn more about her powers from Luke. I don’t have any issues with her using the force. My problem was the scene was lame. They couldn’t have filmed that differently to make it look cooler?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  12. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

Exactly what I was telling my son. I said, "how she died" is not important. If the rumor is true that this is going to be a fast forward in time, it's acceptable to me they show a shot of a funeral or something and explain Rey has been training all this time with her.

13. WaywardFan

WaywardFan Even Better Than You Know Contributor

It's insane to think Luke didn't train her some, or that she didn't explore on her own (to better influence politicians, perhaps?). In the now defunct EU, she was pretty forcey and was even known as Lady Vader.

Keep in mind, she's the daughter of Anakin Skywalker, the chosen one. Her brother is one of the strongest Force users in history. While I cringed a bit at the visuals of what she did, I thought her actually doing it was believable and badass.

14. AZCrazy

AZCrazy Registered

She should have saved Admiral Ackbar. Weak force user.

15. ajcardfan

ajcardfan I see you. Contributor

Yes, i thought it dragged on too long also.

The worthless cute animals on that island were pointless.