Spurs @ Suns game thread 2-7-18

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Willie D

Willie D Free Agent

I liked the AZ Republic the first time...when it was called USA Today.

For the last 10 years, we've burned through players, coaches, GMs, front office execs, etc.. Only one turd has remained in place: the owner. Sarver made his money in banking. Bankers don't like to take risks. Plus he only made his money by selling the bank he owned. It's not like he has great business sense in the world.

All he's doing with his incompetence is driving down the resale value of the Suns. There's no Steve Ballmer out there to take over this ship which looks like it might be run by Donald Sterling. I hate to admit this, but Phoenix ain't L.A.. The media market is so much smaller.

And BTW, if 48 points is the worst loss in team history, they didn't break the record. They merely tied the record they set earlier this season. I gotta call a Jets fan and order some paper grocery bags.

Mainstreet likes this.
  2. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

With McD at the helm, I have zero confidence they’ll get either.

3. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

@Willie D

Hope to see you posting more on the Suns forum. I like your input.

Willie D likes this.
  4. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

The difference is that Doncic is an outstanding player right now. He is one of the best players in Europe. Not one of the best prospects, not one of the best young players. One of the best players.

CardsSunsDbacks likes this.
  5. pokerface

pokerface Registered

Yeah it would be nice to draft a player that isn't a such a project for a change.

6. leclerc

leclerc The smooth operator

Outstanding in Europe. Not very athletic. Like the sleepy eyed Spaniard who plays for the Jazz, Rubio (took a while to remember his name)...

I'm not calling him a bust, I just want us to seriously consider our options. We have to get this one right.

7. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

Taking a not very athletic Euro over guys we’ve seen look like superstars would be suicide Suns style.

elindholm likes this.
  8. hsandhu

hsandhu Registered User

What about the foot speed issue, is that real or exagerrated? Thats my biggest concern. I like the heijght and skills bus worry about the speed.

In fairness on nbadraft.net the biggest weakness for booker was speed, and he is very fast in the nba.

9. Mainstreet

Booker was quick in the half court agility drill. I'm not sure what it is called. The same drill might show what Doncic can do.

10. SirStefan32

So, I share your concerns to some degree. I am really not sure how he will be able to guard typical NBA guards, but the thing is that the alternative (Young) is actually quite a bit worse defensively.

As you pointed out, the big knock on Booker was speed and athleticism. Same goes for Warren. I tend to think that "athleticism" definition has really gone to hell over the last few years. Doncic is not super-quick or explosive, but he has a good balance, understands the angles really well, so I am not overly concerned with his "lack of athleticism." Again, Young is not really explosive or quick either.

I will tell you that he is an outstanding passer, a very good shooter, and an incredibly smart player. One hell of a competitor too. The games I've seen, he was better than Dragic right now. I can't remember who Slovenia played, but I watched two games where he just carved their defense like a Thanksgiving turkey. It was like watching Nash play back in the day. I hate cliches, but I really think he would make every single player on the roster better. Booker's job would be much easier, Warren would get plenty of easy layups, Jackson would get plenty of easy dunks, and Bender would get a ton of open three pointers. Let me do some digging and see if I can find highlights at least.

Mainstreet and hcsilla like this.
  11. elindholm

elindholm rehabilitated

Yeah, I've decided to come out as racist-xenophobic when it comes to NBA prospects. I don't want any more white Euros. Let someone else make those mistakes.

12. SirStefan32

Here is one of them- note that he is playing against NBA-level competition here- gasol brothers, Rubio, Rodriguez, etc.

He carved Serbia even worse, if I remember correctly.

13. Mainstreet

If Doncic can pass and shoot he brings something to the table besides potential.

I've decided I want players that have some proven skills coming into the draft.

leclerc and SirStefan32 like this.
  14. elindholm

elindholm rehabilitated

He reminds me of JJ Barea. No thanks.

15. hcsilla

hcsilla Registered User

Rubio was a solid starter at the time he was drafted. Doncic is a star.