Smoking

Discussion in 'Body and Health' started by CaptTurbo, Aug 11, 2005.

1. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

Good luck. It's not easy but it's nowhere near as difficult as people make it out to be. It's just that the cues for smoking are everywhere.

Steve

2. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

Great news, LVG! Stay strong, I know you can do it. :clapping:

3. Gaddabout

Gaddabout Plucky Comic Relief Contributor

I quit a year ago and I still go through cravings. Chewing changes the chemistry in your mouth and, I suspect, the way your brain relates just about anything. It also doesn't help there's a ridiculously strong oral fixation related to chewing, not just chemical dependency.

I suggest finding something else. I have to do double the amount of mini-lozenges sometimes to stay afloat. Someday I'll quit the lozenges, but it's really, really hard.

4. Linderbee

Linderbee Let's GO, CARDINALS! Contributor

Good luck to all of you--I hope you're able to. My oldest daughter has quit smoking again; put her on Chantix. It's been a week or two since her last cigarette. Last time she quit, she had taken Chantix, and then one day someone offered her one, and she said she didn't even want it but smoked it anyway. That was all it took. I'm glad she's trying again.

5. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

I bought one of these likes 2 years ago and instantly went from 1.5 packs a day down to about 4-7. Sadly, it stopped working 3 weeks later, could only get little tiny drags that were not satisfying.

Buying another one soon and giving it another go.

6. DeAnna

DeAnna Just A Face in The Crowd

Several years ago I quite cold turkey, but I still chew the nicorrette gum. Down to just 4 pieces per day now :)

7. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

That's what happened the first time I quit smoking - I was smoke free for about 2 years, then found myself in a highly stressful situation where smoking was tacitly encouraged. Picked up the habit again.

Now I won't hang around people who smoke, or put myself in that situation again. I've had to explain to some friends that it's not them, it's me, but if they light up I'm leaving. Can't risk relapsing again.

8. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

Still not smoking, but since I went off the anti-smoking meds I can tell there's a difference in cravings. If I didn't have such an adverse reaction to the meds I would have stayed on them for another month as recommended, but it wasn't a choice.

1 month smoke free as of tomorrow.

9. DemsMyBoys

DemsMyBoys Registered

I'm trusting you made it. Congrats!

10. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

Yeah, made it Dems.

Still not smoking. Though with relatives still in the house, I've really wanted to start again, lol.

11. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

Still smoke free. Though in my dreams lately I've been smoking. Not sure what that means.

12. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

As long as the bed's not on fire when you wake up, I think you're okay here. Congratulations on quitting smoking. Now, you get to live with it the rest of your life. It's not that hard but you'll probably never be more than a few minutes away from the next temptation.

Steve

13. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

so a few weeks ago me and the wife got e cigarettes and pledged a starter of no more smoking unless 2 hours have went by.

I have successfully cut down to about 9-10 a day from 25+ a day. My goal is to slowly ween to e cigarettes only and then deal with those as needed. Even if I simply switch, I am better off.

The patches, gums and etc do nothing for me as my addiction is to smoking itself so these have really helped.

We have been kicking around the idea of going to every 3 hours instead of two or quitting smoking at work and doing 2 hr intervals at home but I struggle here and there still witht he 2 hour so not sure which route to take.

14. SO91

SO91 Registered

Which e cig are you using?

15. Hollywood

Hollywood is part black.

Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    Congrats on making the choice to quit. And good luck to you both.