Skkorpion In deep Kimche

Discussion in 'ASFN Hall of Remembrance' started by Chieftain, Jun 20, 2009.

1. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

When you grow close to 70, it hits you that, with increasing rapidity, more and more your friends and love ones will leave this worldly stage. At first, it depresses you, but then it occurs to you that "if you didn't know and enjoy them all that much when they were here, perhaps the pain of losing them wouldn't be as great." (I'll accept the greater pain stemming from better days).

Jim and I go back to a time when, outside of the AZ dailies and small number of national media sources, our only access to Cardinal news (and to "talk Cardinal football") was at the AOL Cards Corner website bulletin board.

Aside from the paucity of Cardinal news, things weren't all that different back then then they are today - the Cards weren't doing all that well and there was the usual give & take about "Fire the Coach", "This Year is Our Year", "Who Is or Isn't a True Cardinal Fan" etc.

Then as til now, in the middle of all the sturm & drang, Jim had always been one of the "voices of reason."

When I started the BRS in 1998, I leaned on Jim for advice. When he and others decided to launch ASFN, we discussed the pros and cons of joining forces and, when that idea was dropped, we talked about how the two sites might best co-exist and help one another (& co-exist and compliment one another, we did).

All of this was done on-line -Skkorp lived in AZ. I was in NJ. We came close to having dinner a few years back when Dr. (Mrs.) G and I spent a vacation week in AZ, but unfortunately, we had to scuttle those plans due to a medical issue. So we never actually got to meet one another face to face.

But we continued to stay closely in touch on-line and occasionally by phone. Often the burning issue of the moment was how to deal with bloggers who either posted inappopriate or overly denigrating comments. (To paraphrase, Monte Python - "Jim could be quite tough, but he was fair").

Not so long ago (well before the presidential primaries) Jim foresaw the likelihood that the contest might eventually narrow itself down to McCain vs. Obama, and he wanted to know my thoughts (both pro or con) about either. To this day, I don't know who Jim supported nor do I care. What was important was that it revealed an independent, inquiring, open-minded aspect of Jim's character that too few of us share.

Jim was a spectacular person. We were lucky to have him, which makes it all the more sad that we now have to lose him.

I hope this thread will be folded into some sort special thread set up to celebrate Jim's life and to share with his family all the things Jim has meant to all of us.

RIP Jim. GBR.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  2. MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease Moderator Contributor

This just breaks my heart! I consider Jim a true friend. Total shocker to wake up to.

RIP Skkorp!

3. AZ Native

AZ Native Living is Easy with Eyes Closed Contributor

RIP Jim

4. AzWins23

AzWins23 Registered User

RIP Jim

5. Diamondback Jay

Diamondback Jay Psalms 23:1

Death is nothing at all.
    I have only slipped away into the next room.
    I am I, and you are you.
    Whatever we were to each other, that we still are.
    Call me by my old familiar name,
    speak to me in the easy way which you always used.
    Put no difference in your tone,
    wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow.
    Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together.
    Play, smile, think of me, pray for me.
    Let my name be ever the household word that it always was,
    let it be spoken without effect,
    without the trace of a shadow on it.
    Life means all that it ever meant.
    It is the same that it ever was;
    there is unbroken continuity.
    Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?
    I am waiting for you, for an interval,
    somewhere very near, just round the corner.
    And all is well.

Henry Scott Holland

"Goodbyes are forever.. I'll see you again."

Author Unknown

I got the news of Jim Skane's passing yesterday evening from KLL, and this is the first opportunity I've had to come on here and give my thoughts.

Like others, I don't post here nearly as much as I used to for a variety of reasons, none of which need be discussed in this thread. Having been around these parts for some time now, I can't say enough good things about the work Jim did for us to have this outlet to share.

He always, ALWAYS seemed to be the voice of reason whenever the irrational arguments were flowing freely. He always seemed to be a steady hand at running this place smoothly, and making it the place it is.

More importantly, he always seemed to be a friend and a fan of Arizona sports teams to the nth degree.

Words can't express how big of a loss this is for this board, for all of us and for the Arizona sports community. We truly lost a one of a kind human being, someone who gave us all hours of entertainment by putting up and keeping up this forum. For that, I can't give thanks enough to a person more than deserving of all the praise he's ever gotten.

God Bless Skkorp. If you haven't already, please pop a cold one with DannyL and Tim for us.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  6. Totally_Red

Totally_Red Team is What It Takes!

RIP Jim.

7. MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease Moderator Contributor

I totally agree and I was thinking the exact same thing this morning.

8. English on tour

English on tour Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land

RIP Jim.

you will be missed.

9. john h

john h Registered User

I never met Jim but always had this feeling I had known him for years. On occasion we exchanged emails. I have no idea how old Jim was but know he must have been younger than me at 76. I am of an age where you start losing people close to you. It never gets any easier. When I thought of the Cards I always thought of Jim. He and Jeff seemed to have suffered with them as long as I have. To Jim's friends and family my sincere condolences for your loss. He will always be remembered by me for what we had in common. The Cardinals. I do not know if Jim was in the military but we often had some thoughts to discuss on the subject. If Semper Fi is appropriate then Semper Fi Jim. You are missed already. I always read your post as I knew they would be worth reading. If you can have a true internet friend then count Jim as one of mine.

10. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Moderator Contributor

After the AOL Cards Corner was shut down and I joined this site, Jim recognized my screen name and welcomed me as soon as I signed up. I was always very appreciative of that and am very happy to see the huge community he has created.

We'll miss you, Skkorp.

11. Shogun

Shogun Never doubt Mitch. EVER.

RIP Skkrop.

I'll miss him a lot.

Very sad news.

12. SECTION 11

SECTION 11 vibraslap

RIP Jim, Thanks for everything.

13. NYCARDS

NYCARDS Registered

RIP Jim, and thank you for touching us the way you did.

14. Red Hawk

Red Hawk JUST WIN!

OMG

RIP Jim.

15. ChiCard

ChiCard Registered

A truly lovely and understanding man who dealt with what life handed him and lived as if it hadn't.