Skkorp Obit

Discussion in 'ASFN Hall of Remembrance' started by njlawrence, Jul 1, 2009.

1. njlawrence

njlawrence RIP, Jim

Jim's obituary appeared in todays Arizona Republic.

Skane, James Kevin recently of Sun City, Arizona passed away peacefully on June 24, 2009 at the VA Hospital in Phoenix at the age of 57. Jim was born in Rockville Center, NY but lived most of his young life overseas in South America, Africa, and Ireland, and returned to the U.S. to attend Notre Dame University. He served in the Marine Corps where an accident in 1974 left him quadriplegic, moved to Arizona in 1976, and completed his bachelor's degree in accounting and finance at Arizona State University. Jim, a tremendous sports fan, was particularly devoted to the Arizona Cardinals and he began the website Arizona Sports Fans Network (ASFN) where he was able to interact with other sports fans. He was loved for his honest, forthright character and his quiet generosity, admired for his keen intellect, and will be greatly missed as someone who never felt sorry for himself though faced with the type of adversity that would make cowards of many of us. He was preceded in death by his father, James F., and his brother, Dennis. He is survived by his wife, Melanie, his mother Laura, brothers Patrick, Michael, and Daniel, and sisters Kathleen (Digney), Laura (Stell), Margaret (Woodmansee), and Elizabeth. Services will be held on Thursday July 2, 2009 and include a Mass at Our Lady of Joy Catholic Church in Carefree at 10:30AM to be followed by military funeral honors at National Memorial Cemetery on the corner of Cave Creek and Pinnacle Peak Roads at 12:30PM. For those attending the services, please do not hesitate to dress casually. In lieu of flowers, please consider a donation to Freedom Service Dogs (freedomservicedogs.org or 2000 W. Union Ave., Englewood, CO 80110) which has partnered with the VA to train rescued shelter dogs to provide assistance to veterans. Vaya con Dios, mon ami.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/azcentral/obituary.aspx?n=james-kevin-skane&pid=129172504

2. Mulli

Mulli ... Contributor

Perfect. RIP Brother.

3. MigratingOsprey

MigratingOsprey Thank You Paul!

Very nice.

Is there a paypal or something setup where we could gather a site donation to be made in his name to that charity?

4. SeattleCard

SeattleCard Back in Arizona!!!

[​IMG]

5. 40yearfan

40yearfan DEFENSE!!!! Contributor

The things that Jim accomplished in his few short years on this earth are truly amazing. Considering the cross he was given to bear, it only makes those accomplishments even more remarkable. This world is sadly lacking people of his caliber. He will be sorely missed.

6. njlawrence

njlawrence RIP, Jim

Yes, the charity is affiliated with PayPal. Just go to the site mentioned in the obit and it will direct you to PayPal.

7. AZZenny

AZZenny Registered User

Done. A worthy and fitting cause.

8. az jam

az jam Registered User

Thanks for posting this, it's very nice.

9. cardsfanmd

cardsfanmd Banned

Very well done.

10. Gambit

Gambit First-Class Second-Rate Poster

Very touching. Rest in peace, Skkorp

11. Red Dawn

Red Dawn Go Big Red!

My mother and father are buried at that cemetery, it's a beautiful place. There will be a few more Cardinal fans joining Jim, as my wife and I will be buried there when our time comes.

RIP Jim.

12. AZ Native

AZ Native Living is Easy with Eyes Closed Contributor

He was the same age as me. I will be there to honor him. RIP

13. Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski Formerly Chandler Mike Contributor

I'm glad for the obituary, I'm sad I didn't know as much about his life as I should have. I also didn't realize he was so young...only 57.

Gonna miss you Jim.

14. RedStorm

RedStorm Next NY Gov Contributor

RIP Skkorp... You will me missed.

15. the Lieutenant

the Lieutenant Registered

Man I didn't even know how he ended up in a wheel chair. Semper Fi brother. I was in the Seabees for a few years (living with Marines in North Carolina) and then I trained alongside their Herc pilots down in Pensacola and Corpus Christi. I am now imagining Jim as a mountain of a man in his early twenties - ripped, clean cut, and steely-eyed. If there is a heaven he's up there banging heads with all of his old devil-dog buddies and looking down on all of us with a smile on his face. it must have taken some incredible courage and strength of spirit to overcome his disability with the grace that Jim showed. Marines don't have to be on a battle field to be a hero..... Jim proved that.