Should the Suns keep Ryan McDonough as GM

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Jan 29, 2018.

1. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks Registered

I find it funny how much you are willing to overlook things to make your argument. It is a complete fallacy to say this team has been bad for eight years. This team was right on the edge of the playoffs two years in a row just a few years ago (2013/14 and 2014/15) until things fell apart in the middle of the 2014/15 season. The major mistake (in hindsight, because most thought it was a good move at the time) was signing IT to an already solid team. Had they not signed him they probably go on to win about 50 games again and make the playoffs, but they did and the rest is history.

SirStefan32 likes this.
  2. 3rdside

3rdside Registered

This is a nice thought but the problem with it i think is that we still had mcd regardless if we traded for IT or not - had he not screwed it up by bringing him in, I’m fairly certain he would have found some other way to screw things up later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub What Goes Around Comes Around

I'd be willing to guess he has some legal contingencies and/or partners with personal ties that would prohibit this from happening. He's the owner and from everything I have heard he will be for a long time. The guy is a dick but he's not stupid, he sees where NBA team prices are going in general and even more so once he gets his new arena. Selling now would be financial idiocy.

4. hcsilla

hcsilla Registered User

You did and you were wrong as I pointed out but you keep ignoring it.

Let's try once again.

You miss the point that the Sixers did not only get a top3 pick in 2014 and 2015, in both cases it was #3.

So your calculation is wrong and so is your interpretation:

No, it is not.

Your calculation is saying what is the probability of a team getting a top3 pick AND getting a top3 pick AND getting a top1 pick.

You are saying that if the pick is lower than #3 in 2014 OR lower than #3 in 2015 OR lower than #1 in 2016 then the final outcome is worse.

That's wrong.

There are numerous scenarios when PHI gets a worse pick than #1 in 2016, yet the final outcome is better since they could have got a better pick in 2014 and/or 2015.

Like #2 in 2014, #2 in 2015 and #2 in 2016. Or #1, #3, #2 or #1, #2 #3 and so on.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  5. hcsilla

hcsilla Registered User

Almost as minimally as they got lucky in 2015.

6. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

Here's part of an interesting article about advertisers boycotting the owner of newspapers in the Pittsburgh area because his Pirates traded Andrew McCutchen.
    The first paragraph supports my point of view about sports teams being in the public domain and the responsibility of the owners to honor that.

The second and third paragraphs shoot it down with reality. I'll have to read it over and over every time I get ticked off at Sarver and his amateur handling of the Suns. Damnit! :shrug:

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2018/02/02...cott-over-the-andrew-mccutchen-trade/?ref=yfp

Poop Head likes this.
  7. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

Interesting. I wonder if there could be a similar boycott organized against Sarver bank and real estate firms. I don't imagine Suns fans could hurt his businesses that much, but it's an interesting idea. If he owned something else it'd be easier to effect it, like in the case of the Pirates owner also owning a newspaper. Looking up info on Sarver he's sold off most of his AZ banking ties since he's been the owner of the Suns. As of now it looks like he's still the chairman and CEO of Western Alliance Bancorporation which is business based banking, not something that's available for direct consumers.

8. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I don't think now is the time to complain about Sarver with the Suns poised to take the next step. There was plenty of reason to complain about him in the past, however, he has allowed McDonough the opportunity to right the ship.

If the ship looks like the it will not float after this summer, there will be plenty of time to complain then.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    pokerface and Ouchie-Z-Clown like this.
  9. Poop Head

I'm not complaining about Sarver. He's made his mistakes over the years but I haven't come down as hard on him as others. He's in a tough position though. Part of the issue with him I think has to do with achieving a lot of success right away as an owner. I know the Suns didn't win a title but he signed Nash during his first offseason and then owned a team that was consistently winning 50-60 games a year that were legit title contenders through his first 6-7 seasons as the owner. He was pushed right into that right away and it was largely due to just 1 free agency acquisition, signing Nash and for less than the max allowed also. That sort of success can't be duplicated. I think it took him a good 3-4 years to understand how lucky he was to experience that when he bought the team and it was outside of the norm.

I was just thinking though about how that is an interesting way to get back at an owner of a team, by organizing a boycott of the other businesses that they own. That stands a better chance of getting through to the owner than billboards like those fans tried to organize on Reddit with the #SarverOut hashtag.

10. AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy Magnanimous

Answer = NO :)

11. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

McD has had some mistakes. But getting Payton and Troy Daniels for nothing is not one of them.

Poop Head and Jake6233 like this.
  12. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks Registered

Looking at every move individually I don’t know that you can find more than 4-5 in total were actually bad. That includes trades, free agency and draft picks. His player relations seems to be his biggest weakness, but hopefully he has learned a lesson there.

Mainstreet likes this.
  13. Poop Head

I know he could have handled the Bledsoe situation better but it was a pretty bad move on Bledsoe's part to ask out on Twitter like he did and then try to backtrack by saying he was at the hair salon. I can understand McD's frustration there. I don't think McD would have handled that like he did if Bledsoe didn't try throwing that hair salon nonsense out there, that was insulting to believe that anyone would buy that excuse.

14. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

A lot of McD’s problems are the moves he HASN’T made.

15. Matt L

Matt L formerly known as mattyboy

The way he publicly handled the Dragic and Bledsoe situations leave a bad taste in my mouth. I think he could have handled both situation without airing their grievances to the public. I think both Dragic and Bledsoe handled it poorly on their end too but someone needs to be an adult in these situations and when it comes down to it, the GM should be the adult.