Several NCAA asst. basketball coaches arrested

Discussion in 'NAU and All Non-Arizona College Sports' started by Ronin, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Ronin

Ronin Mad scientist behind the keyboard Contributor

2. Ronin

Auburn University Men's Basketball

http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/basketball/men/report-bruce-pearl-s-job-could-be-in-jeopardy-at/article_c2ef1eb0-c4cb-11e7-9dc4-cbace7453e2b.html

3. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

Still coming out on Pitino.

Things aren't looking good for Enfield and Pearl either.

Southpaw and Ronin like this.
  4. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

Yeah Bland's attorney sort of threw Enfield under the bus today. He outright said they're making a scapegoat of Bland and not going after the million dollar coaches or the shoe companies. Given his client works under Enfield he essentially said why arrest my client for doing what his head coach expects him to do, get players by any means necessary.

It's been brought up often but there's this perception because Book has worked for Miller for so long, the odds of him rolling over or throwing Sean under the bus are lower. The downside for that is it's harder to claim I didn't know what he was doing he went rogue, when you've worked together for 10 years and suddenly in the last few years he's suddenly recruiting at a whole other level.

Arizona is the one that's fascinating in this since it appears they're they only school that doesn't intend to holdout any players

5. GatorAZ

We won't know until Alkins and Randolph are "healthy" because those are the only two current players that Book recruited. Since Miller gave a timetable on Randolph it's unlikely there's any shanenagins plus I don't think Miller would be that stupid to not just suspend them indefinitely.

They can win a championship without Rawle so that's even more reason to sit him if there's any truth to the allegations. If he plays I'm thinking Arizona and Miller might be okay in this. It's interesting that the closer we get to CBB starting more stuff comes out by the day; Pastner, Pearl, Sexton etc.

6. Russ Smith

Arizona has effectively said they're not suspending anybody. That either means they don't know who the players are, or they're not convinced the players did anything. Alkins has a broken foot and Randolph a concussion so it's clear neither one of them missed exhibitions over a suspension.

They are the only school that apparently has no intention of holding players out until notified by the NCAA, they're either not sure who they are, smarter than the other schools, or just willing to roll the dice and hope the suspensions won't come down during the season. At this point I don't expect any UA kids to be suspended for the opener, if they were going to do that they'd have done it in the exhibitions too like with Trier last year.

It's a no risk it no biscuit approach for sure.

7. Southpaw

Southpaw Provocateur aka Wallyburger Contributor

If Pitino is "coach #2" I wonder who "coach #1" is? Please let it be Roy Williams.

8. Southpaw

Southpaw Provocateur aka Wallyburger Contributor

Bruce Pearl again.... still. Will the NCAA please give this guy a lifetime ban? Not an honest bone in his body. Serial offender.

http://larrybrownsports.com/college-basketball/rick-pitino-directed-money-recruits/408199

Auburn coach Bruce Pearl could find his job in jeopardy over his refusal to cooperate with the school’s investigation into the basketball program.

ESPN’s Mark Schlabach and Paula Lavigne
    reported Wednesday that Pearl is currently refusing to cooperate with the school’s ongoing internal investigation stemming from federal bribery and corruption charges brought against former assistant Chuck Person.

9. GatorAZ

Auburn taking a tough stance on basketball eh?

[​IMG]

Ronin likes this.
  10. Russ Smith

Coach 1 is Jordan Fair a Louisville Assistant who they already fired along with Pitino.

11. GatorAZ

http://playersprogramu.com/arizona-...-the-room-rawle-alkins/msg4959/?topicseen#new

Again, we won't know until he's healthy.

12. Russ Smith

Yeah I've always assumed he was one of the 3 because he's from NY. As you know my guesses on the 3 have changed repeatedly as I go over the list, I always assumed Trier was one of them but maybe not.

I should add as I've said before, even if the other 2 didn't get any money, if the NCAA believes that they had a deal to go with Dawkins after they left Arziona, that's an NCAA violation. Players can talk to agents, but they can't have a deal in place written or verbal to retain a certain agent after they leave school.

That article you linked didn't have the full text. The full text quotes Book and Dawkins discussing the 3 players, one already got paid we don't have to worry about him(article says it's Alkins). 1 they think is on board, (article thinks it's Randolph). The 3rd guy in the FBI story Book describes him as "sheltered", says he's not experienced in the system at all, his relative is "his first and last rodeo".

The last 2 it implies they both agreed to probably work with Dawkins, the sheltered kid the relative said he's inclined to probably SIGN with Dawkins, the other one Book said he was going to work him but he was pretty confident he was going to sign with Dawkins. So if that stuff is true, then it's solely up to the NCAA whether they consider that is agreeing to hire an agent or not. You don't have to get money if you agree, but that's really the call of the NCAA.

The best case scenario for you would be if it's just Alkins and the other 2 never got money so theyre good. . Worst case scenario would be losing Alkins and the 2 kids most likely to replace him

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  13. Russ Smith

Forgot to add, if that version you linked is true, it makes it much harder for Miller because it outright states that Dawkins and Alkins cousin essentially were around the program which reinforces what Dawkins said, that he had free access. You can't claim compliant atmosphere if you have an agent with access to players and practices.

14. Ronin

15. Russ Smith

I doubt anybody would but all it would take is one former recruit to come out and say I got paid and RP knew about it and that would refute it.

I do think the statement about Dawkins is consistent with what others have been saying, that he was name dropping to try and get more money. That's the entire defense in the alleged bidding war over Nassir Little, Dawkins tells Gatto one of his competing companies(Nike) has offered 150K and if Miami wants the kid they will probably have to match it. He says the coach(Larranaga) knows all about it and is ok with it, Miami insists that's completely untrue.

That part of it doesn't really surprise me and it's actually fairly easy to believe some of that is true. It's always been assumed that big name coaches wouldn't be dumb enough to risk their salaries by being directly involved without a couple of layers of Kevin Bacon separation, so suggesting a coach directly approved of something is iffy.

The problem Pitino has is he insisted he didn't have any communication and the description of him includes him having multiple phone calls with Adidas exec Gatto. Now he says he was asking about shoes for a former player but he originally denied having made the calls.