Several NCAA asst. basketball coaches arrested

Discussion in 'NAU and All Non-Arizona College Sports' started by Ronin, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I don't think they can until the FBI tells them it's ok to investigate and gives them the info.

The booing and taunting of Boyle was clearly connected to his earlier comment the fans were holding up signs directly related to it.

I have no problem with fans doing it, that's what fans do. I'm actually surprised fans on the road aren't chanting FBI everytime Arizona or USC play there.

But for an announcer like Jacobsen, an ex player, to essentially apologize for what Boyle said it right up there with Carmelo's infamous appearance in that "don't snitch" video a few years ago.

Boyle was asked a direct question and responded honestly, he didn't go after Miller unsolicited, he didn't even really mention Miller beyond saying he respected him.

Jacobsen acted like he'd gone out of his way to insult Miller and that it was not classy. I can understand fans of those teams not liking it but an announcer and ex player acting like what he said was somehow wrong I just didn't get. I would have got it had it been Muehlbach but Casey as near as I can tell has no Arizona ties.

2. Russ Smith

Pete Thamel reporting that Jahvon Quinerly, player 5 in the FBI case, will quietly commit to Villanova this week. Nova has thoroughly reviewed the case and thinks there's a good chance the NCAA will allow him to play. They said it depends if the NCAA rules it extra benefits where he might not play, or preferential treatment where he probably would play. Thamel says the belief is it will be preferential treatment since he wasn't yet in college, and since he's not signing with the school that allegedly paid him.

Based on what's out there I can't see why his situation would be a can't play at all. He didn't get enough money to get suspended for a season, they've already reinstated Sexton after 1 game for agreeing to hire an agent, so my guess is at most he'd miss 9 games and then be allowed to play. The only way it would be worse is if the NCAA decides by the time they are allowed to do anything about the kids already in college, many of them will have turned pro, so the only way they can send a message is by going after kids like Quinerly who haven't played in college yet. I see that as highly unlikely, I think his case will be the same as Taeshon Cherry where by committing to a school that didn't pay him, he probably will eventually be allowed to play.

3. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

4. Russ Smith

Code, Gatto and Dawkins all have trial dates of Oct 1 2018 now, the rest of the trials including Bland and Book are in 2019. Not clear if that's good or bad, if their recruiting is off because of uncertainty, does another year of waiting help that or harm that not clear to me. If the schools can convince kids it's the coaches we fired not us, we're ok, then it helps them they can get a class or two of recruits before the salacious stuff is public in court. If they can't convince kids they're not going to get nailed, the delay might submarine another recruiting class.

The judge threw out the request to dismiss the charges against Gatto, Code and Dawkins and set the court date so they are going after them.

The big thing in Thamel's story is the revelation they expect to have Andy Miller's bank records and he was the guy funding Dawkins(not Adidas or Nike). Given that Miller has not been indicted yet, to my knowledge, one wonders is he cooperating, or are they just waiting because he's one of the "big fish" and they're getting all the dirt they can on him>

5. Russ Smith

Lynn Swann announces an internal USC investigation found no evidence that there was a problem at the institutional level, that Tony Bland acted completely on his own, outside the program, and was completely a rogue coach. And for all those rumors the last 4 years that USC's new staff was cheating, apparently USC never heard them?

It is interesting that USC was allowed to conduct such a thorough investigation since we've been told that the FBI told the NCAA not to investigate until the FBI is done, and the NCAA told Arizona not to investigate until the FBI tells the NCAA it's allowed.

Makes you wonder what's different about the 2 cases, is one coach cooperating and one isn't, and if so, which is which?

6. Ronin

Ronin Mad scientist behind the keyboard Contributor

7. Ronin

8. Ronin

Jeff Eisenberg

@JeffEisenberg

Rick Pitino is vacillating between his assigned talking point of taking full responsibility for making the wrong hires and the fact that he clearly still views himself as a victim in all this.

9. Russ Smith

Wonder if he just thinks time to go pro, or if he has reason to believe the NCAA won't reinstate him to play next year so he has no point staying.

10. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

11. Russ Smith

Yeah he literally quotes one person saying if your school has had a #1 pick in the last 3 years, you should be worried.

Ifit's that blatant, and Thamel says there's a spreadsheet that says how much was paid, to whom etc, it kind of works better for teams involved since it will be a more level playing field if they're all getting hit.

This is why people keep saying schools like UK and Duke should be very concerned, they've had LOTS of 1st round picks in that timeframe, if the implication is most 1st rounders will be on this spreadsheet, if you're UCLA I think it's 2 players(Lonzo and Leaf) if you are Duke or UK it is quite a bit more than that so the assumption would be unless in both their cases they are among the coaches didn't know category(and I don't buy that for a second) they're going to get hit harder because they did it more frequently I'd assume.

Andy Miller is the guy who was funding Christian Dawkins and it's not clear if the scheme that Book and Bland got caught up in was new, or they were just expanding their operation. It sure appears that there's a direct link between Miller being raided(Andy) and the raiding of EYBL which would make me very nervous if I were a Duke or UK fan.

UCLA may have had 3 I'm blanking on what year Looney came out but I think he's in the 3 years too. None of UCLA's kids were in the EYBL but it's pretty apparent that Adidas was doing this too since they were more involved in the original FBI story than Nike was.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  12. Russ Smith

John Wall puts this into perfect perspective on how the players see this stuff. Wall was asked about and said he thinks it's naive to assume UK is going to get hit harder because they have had so many lottery picks saying put it this way if you were about to get rich in the NBA in a few months would you risk all that for a small payment now? The implication being the high lottery picks don't get paid it's the ones below, like Bowen, who get paid.

I would note this is the same John Wall who started his college career at UK SUSPENDED by the NCAA for taking money from his AAU coach! The way it was quoted it would appear John Wall either didn't think anybody else would remember, or didn't remember himself that HE took money and got suspended over it. That's the mentality of the players here everyone is doing it, we ought to be getting paid, so we're taking the money. I don't necessarily fault them for it mind you, but trying to defend it now by suggesting the high lottery kids aren't getting paid is going to be tough to sell, especially when we know for a fact he took money himself.

13. BW52

BW52 Registered

I totally agree.The NCAA `s punishment was way overboard .The reason was to make the NCAA look like they had some balls after looking like limpwristed asswipes by letting North Carolina get away with academic fraud for 18-20 years and for the Head of the NCAAa (Emmert) knowing about the Michigan State sex abuse situation since 2010 and doing nothing about that.So in order to look like the NCAA grew some balls they hammered Louisville beyond what was fair.Louisville also cooperated fully and self-imposed penalties and screwed themselves by cooperating with a vindictive bunch of people (NCAA) who refuse to touch certain schools (Kentucky,Duke,Alabama,Auburn etc;) while other schools get hammered.Very strange that the people that heard Louisville`s appeal and denied it are from ( U of Texas,Vandy,SEC conference chair and others) since the SEC is the standard for recruiting integrity and honesty.I also oint out that the horsehit about prostitution is simply garbage..A grand jury also investigated and decided there was no evidence for an conviction and the bitch that wrote the book (sponsered by a prominent INdiana University booster and a former member of the Lexington KY chamber of Commerce) was sued by the women named in the book and had to settle out of court and pay damages.Pitino failed to moniter a assistant closely enough (andre McGee) and it cost him big time.Plus Pitino and Tom Jurich battled with several Board of Trustees member (Pizza boy Schnatter -Pappa Johns Pizza) and Jurich lost his job for basically being loyal to Pitino.The interim President and several BOT members apointted by our jackass Governor Matt Bevin are Kentucky graduates (Louisville big instate rival) so many think the BOTs main interest is not justice and fairness from the NCAA but keeping the reimbursement money from the NCAA tourneys UL received down to a minimum.

14. BW52

BW52 Registered

The NCAA will do nothing to Kentucky.Kentucky has one of the most rabid (crazy,insane) fans anywhere and they will follow UK to hell and to watch the games.That means dollars into the register and if anything about the NCAA is consistent (besides its lack of intelligence,integrity ,and failure to enforce the rules equally and fairly.Some schools are Teflon coated (UK,Duke,Alabama,etc;) while others get unfairly hammered.The NCAA is simply a money whore run by a bunch of greedy people making money off the work of others .

15. Russ Smith

IMO it depends on what the NCAA gets from the FBI. If they literally give them a spreadsheet with names of players who got paid, and it's clear that UK and Duke had the most kids, which seems logical based on recruiting results, then how is the NCAA going to look the other way? This list would presumably get I can't imagine the FBI is going to not make this public for privacy reasons they're outing the whole bunch of them.

I'm not going to blame the kids, the system exists because agents, AAU coaches, college coaches, boosters etc that are all crooked and trying to take a shortcut to win more games, the players are just taking advantage of that corrupt system.