Senate Reaches 2 Year Budget Deal

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by LVG, Feb 7, 2018.

1. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

Don’t you mean “No wall No budget?”

LVG likes this.
  2. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse Chad's got nothing on me!

If the Dems actually believe Drumpf will hand them a major political victory going into the Mid-terms, they are stupider than I thought.

3. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

The other side of the argument from what I see on CNN is that the Dems are trying to figure out which way helps them the most in midterm elections. The idea being if they can win enough seats in the midterms to take over the House and Senate, they might be able to push through a DACA deal that Trump would sign. The problem is it's not clear if abandoning DACA right now to get this deal will actually harm them in the elections, or if holding tough on it is the best way to win the elections.

Hard not to feel bad for all those DACA folks being held hostage over politics

4. Linderbee

Linderbee Let's GO, CARDINALS! Contributor

Especially since they could be deported between now & midterms. :(

5. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

After thinking about it for a good Long while, I think Dems should pass the budget. See if you can get a commitment from Ryan for an up or down DACA vote once the Senate passes one, but don’t hold up the budget because of it.

6. LoyaltyisaCurse

Ryan was being coy on a commitment earlier today, when asked. He said something to effect of,"I fully intend on bringing something to the floor the President is willing to sign."

7. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

See, that doesn’t work. Pelosi has to have a block of House members that say: if you promise an up or down vote, we’ll vote for your budget.

8. Town Drunk

Town Drunk Longest serving ASFN lurker

You were right. I thought for sure the Dems would use this as leverage to get DACA taken care of. Now they have no leverage and it’s now up to the GOP with three weeks left.

9. LoyaltyisaCurse

This is what happens when you deal with a Prick Turtle-faced Asshat...this was his version of open debate and the results. DEMS ARE IDIOTS!!!!

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/15/politics/trump-immigration-veto/index.html

10. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

I was thinking about the DACA debacle this morning, and realized something:

If Congress wants to pass anything, it has to come up with legislation behind closed doors then rush it to the President's desk for signature before his hardline advisers have a chance to weigh in. I think Trump is much more likely to sign a deal when it's on his desk; if a deal is out there in some nebulous form, his advisers will bend his ear and he'll go along with it, because he just doesn't know any better. He's ignorant.

What the DEM and GOP leadership should do now is get behind closed doors and work out a deal that will pass both chambers. Then pass it in one night, get it to the President's desk, and force him to either sign it or reject it.

nashman likes this.