Rules Revisited and Reporting Posts

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by Chris_Sanders, Oct 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

Hello Everyone,

The last week has been a perfect storm of me travelling heavily for work on the east coast, forum members pushing the boundaries of decorum, and certain posters having very thin skins.

During this time, posters were reporting posts over and over that weren't a violation of anything other than whatever sensibilities you possess.

Here are the P&R rules

Here are some rules for the board as a whole that will get you flat banned across all of ASFN. These are directly copied those parts from the Cardinals board that seem to be relevant here:

Now for some other things:

Moderators

The only moderators for this forum are Linderbee, LVG, and Krepitch.

These moderators are of different political leanings and will frequently discuss how to handle things.

Any other moderator/admin you see in this forum is just a poster who visits this part of the board. They can and should feel free to express their opinions, just like any other poster. They do not award strikes and do not moderate this part of the board.

The three mods of this board do not read every post in here. We are unpaid volunteers with lives outside of ASFN. We rely on the posters here to report posts for us to investigate. You can also just PM us if you like. That being said, you need to consider when reporting a post if it actually violates the rules.

This forum, by its nature, is confrontational. If you throw out an opinion and someone responds to it, you don't get to report them like you are the victim. I see through that game. That means you may discuss, debate, and even argue but you don't get to directly attack people.

When you post in this forum, you understand that you are entering an area where debates will happen and can get heated.

It is up to you to maintain decorum here. That includes responding to other's opinions, even if they are outrageous or anathema to your own beliefs.

I personally do not want an "echo chamber" in here. This board should be welcome to everyone from one end of the political spectrum to the other.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2016
  2. Chris_Sanders

Now I want to expand on this statement:

I am not interested in making this a "Leftist" board or a "Righty" board.

There will be opinions that even I find to be completely opposite of my own but it doesn't mean I should be banning them.

So this can lead to some grey areas where as moderators we want to encourage a discussion, even if we personally disagree with it.

A perfect example of this was someone recently posted a fairly outrageous opinion hoping that people who favor Obamacare would get sick so they can experience what the current healthcare environment is.

While this opinion may be shocking, I didn't feel it was done to troll people (just to get a rise) but a real opinion. It was generally said and not really directed at anyone. So it was left to be discussed, even though it offended my sensibilities.

Conversely, I am against gun control. Yet I manage to not get offended by general statements about "Gun nuts"

Think about how you personally are impacting the conversation here. If you don't like a particular poster, you are welcome to put them on ignore.

3. Chris_Sanders

Ultimately this board will be what you make it because I personally favor less moderation rather than more.

4. Chris_Sanders

This response was removed but I will answer it anyway.

You are allowed to ask any questions you like. In fact, I didn't close this thread for that very reason.

Yes, the moderators decisions are final. There is a moderator board where things are discussed at length. We don't always agree and in fact, we frequently disagree like all groups do.

Not really. There are two people who I am not pleased with right now. One person who has abused this board the last week and one, who in an act of total ignorance, went off on other people on this board when they have nothing to do with their gripe.

A new moderator, LVG, was named on May 9th. LVG was selected as he is right leaning and we try to keep a right, a left, and a centrist. I personally don't believe any more than 3 mods are needed as long as we are committed to staying active. Again, I have apologized for my lack of presence this last week.

Now I will tell you what I believe it is time for. It is time for posters to take some personal responsibility when they come in P&R (or even ASFN as a whole)

They need to take responsibility for the spirit that they bring to the discussion. Have they come to learn, discuss, or argue? (This is my most common topic with 21 whenever he comes off a ban)

When they read the comments of others, are they taking it with the desire to be right and to "Win" or to understand? What part do you personally play in escalations on this board. Do you let things roll off your back or interpret them personally?

When a person chooses to not ignore someone who they don't like, then chooses to come here and interact with them, what part did they play in the end product?

Most mods (including me) want to treat this as a community. As such, everyone's perspective matters. That is probably why I am more tolerant with things here than others.

The rules that moderator decisions are final has existed before I was a mod and will exist when I decide to step away.

5. Chris_Sanders

While I am asking others to own their role in this, it has been fairly pointed out to me that I haven't owned my role.

So I will say that the board got out of hand while I was busy with work and my family. Since I can't promise a specific time frame on responses to reported posts, here is what I can do.

I will bring clarity to any post that is reported with the following:

This post has been reported and (Does / Does Not) deserve a strike.

Please PM me for any further details.

So basically all I am asking is if you report a post, don't throw gas on the fire and let us handle it.

Thank You

6. Chris_Sanders

Indirectly or directly wishing harm upon others or their loved ones will earn a 2 week automatic ban from P&R. Examples include "I hope all you gun lovers have a family member shot"

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  7. LVG

LVG Who?! Contributor

Well, my failure was not jumping on this and preventing the whole thing from happening while you were on vacation. There's a reason we have 3 mods in PR.

That won't happen again.

8. Chris_Sanders

To clarify what I meant by "Indirectly", that includes the statement "Wishing Harm"

So if you pose a question that says "What if your family member was raped", that is the same level violation

9. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero Registered User

Hey Chris, can you please explain why I was named and threatened with a strike in the Hillary email thread?

Thanks

10. Chris_Sanders

Answered in PM

11. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero Registered User

Sorry, but you did not identify any post of mine within the last month or so that matches the description you unfairly singled me out for in your post closing that thread. I have just been posting information to add to the discussion and have not been attacking anyone.

The Hillary email thread has been an excellent debate and it should not have been closed. This is a hot political topic and will continue to be so, especially when the DOJ announces their decision.

12. Chris_Sanders

And now you get a strike for publicly questioning moderator decisions. This isn't up for debate. The thread is a mess of arguing and trolling. You are welcome to start a new one but you should limit attacking and trolling other posters.

13. Linderbee

Linderbee Let's GO, CARDINALS! Contributor

Well, I'm sure, somewhere, I knew what I was getting into volunteering to moderate this god-forsaken board coming up to a presidential election...

I'm going to just say this ONE TIME. Quit with the name calling, tone down the rhetoric, quit throwing "troll" out at anything you don't like or agree with. I'll start handing out strikes/bannings so fast everyone's heads will spin. I don't have the time or energy to sit & try to dissect what each and every one of you are feeling or intending with your posts, and I will err to the side of awarding strikes.

Keep it civil. Stop the nonsense.

cardncubfan and Kel Varnsen like this.
  14. Linderbee

New rule: Posts that contain: "IF you voted for ...., then you support/believe/are/ ...." will earn a strike. People vote for a multitude of reasons and you do not get to decide what they support, believe in, etc.

There was discussion on this in-thread elsewhere, I have trashed that commentary as a whole.

jf-08, Shane, Southpaw and 2 others like this.
  15. Linderbee

The P&R mods have discussed, and have decided to allow commentary in the Trolling for Trouble...MEMEs edition ONLY. The reason for this is purely BECAUSE of the fact that a LOT of what is being posted in that thread IS untrue. If you're going to post garbage, without taking the time to determine its truthfulness, BE PREPARED TO BE CALLED OUT ON IT.

With that said, far more leeway will be given in that thread than in ANY other. While we won't allow the standard transgressions of direct name-calling, etc...you can and SHOULD expect to have what you have posted debated, and your part in spreading flat out falsehoods.

To be clear--you better have some REALLY thick skin if you're going to post in there, and it is HIGHLY recommended that you fact-check yourself ahead of time.

The moderators retain the right to decide to close down the thread a remove memes from being posted in either thread. If you review the first ~4 pages of the Trolling for Trouble thread, a significant number of anti-bush memes were removed and there was much debate at the time regarding memes being posted. If we feel we need to revert to the original rules of the thread, we will.

TIA...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.