RIP Jim Skane

Discussion in 'ASFN Hall of Remembrance' started by elindholm, Jun 25, 2009.

1. elindholm

elindholm rehabilitated

Those who post on the Cardinals forum have already come across this sad news, but for those who post only here, it may have been overlooked. I came across the news myself only by accident, but it seems worth sharing.

Jim Skane, who founded the precursors to this site many years ago and has overseen its inspired growth, passed away a couple of days ago after a long battle with lung problems. His screen name was Skkorpion. I never met him and he was "mainly" a Cardinals fan, but the community he built has brought me much joy and entertainment over the years.

It was nearly eight years ago now, but the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 provided a striking example of how important this site had become, even back then. People linked only by their interest in Arizona sports teams flocked to the message boards to share their feelings and seek consolation. Dozens of people who had never met each other developed bonds that were much stronger than the sterile format of pixels on a computer screen would predict. The community was already strong, but I will never forget how vivid the sensation was on that day.

I am, of course, one of the less popular posters on this site, and I have at times been vocal in my criticism of it. But I have never felt anything but respect to Jim for creating it, and I have always held the site in great admiration. Anyone who posts here regularly and finds fulfillment in reading the posts of others, no matter what the topic, owes Jim a great debt of gratitude.

For a clearer illustration of how galvanizing a force Jim Skane was, I encourage you to read this thread, a moving open discussion about his condition during his final days:

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/skkorpion-in-deep-kimche-136238.html

There are also some tribute and funeral information stickies in the Cardinals forum.

Thanks for everything, Jim. I wish I could have expressed my gratitude one final time.

2. cly2tw

cly2tw Registered User

That's sad!

RIP

3. mojorizen7

mojorizen7 Registered

Wow. Terrible news. No words.... except thank you Jim for helping get this forum up and going for so many.
    RIP

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  4. pokerface

pokerface Registered

Yes you are but change all starts with you!

5. ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS ONE HEART BEAT!!!

Well put, as usual Eric. While your tone can occasionally be condescending, you also add a lot of value to the site.

6. TucsonDevil

TucsonDevil Good to be back!

This is sad news. I too have enjoyed his contribution to Arizona sports. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

7. pokerface

pokerface Registered

Occasionally??

8. Bufalay

Bufalay Registered User

shhhh

RIP Jim

9. binkar

binkar Registered

I am still blown away by this news. RIP Jim. My regards to Jim's family and close friends.

10. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

pokerface...not the appropriate forum or time to make the comment. Please refrain or go away.

I commented on the original thread but had many conversations with Jim via theses threads and appreciate what he did to help lead the way to these forums. He will be missed.

R.I.P Jim.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  11. Treesquid

Treesquid Pardon my Engrish

RIP Jim. :(

12. TBaslim

TBaslim Planet Orange

RIP Jim.

And thank you for creating such a great online community. I have been a lurker and then a poster for a long time, and gotten a great deal of insight and happiness from what you helped create.

Thank you for that, very sincerely.

And many condolences to Jim's family and friends. Peace be with you in these difficult times.

13. Chaplin

Chaplin Better off silent

I also commented on the Cardinals thread, but it bears repeating. We disagreed a lot, but thanks to Jim, we had an avenue to air those disagreements and enjoy talking about basketball, football and movies.

He has touched a lot of lives, more than most people will ever get to.

I've been around since the early days of Rivals and Skkorpion was an ever-present poster who I once was in a big fantasy football league with. He was always a gentleman and will be missed.

14. zett

zett Registered

Thanks Eric for posting this.
    I never really knew that much about Jim, as I'm not a big Cardinals fan.
    untill I read all the post in that thread. I realized he was alot bigger cards
    fan then a suns fan. Even though I had always given him a bad time for having negative outlook about the suns. There was obviously a different side to him I never knew. This is truely a sad day.

I would liken this to the thought of loosing chandler mike,chap, or eric,as those are the three I admire most on this site,and all being around in the rival days when I first started. I don't post or read near as much as I use to since buying my own business, time just doesn't allow it.
    As I only came in here to see what happened in the draft and trade rumors,
    and now it just doesn't seem important any more, I will try again later

RIP Jim

15. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Veteran

RIP Jim