RichRod to be Fired

Discussion in 'University of Arizona' started by TJ, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Ronin

Ronin Mad scientist behind the keyboard Contributor

2. Ronin

Darren Rovell
    @darrenrovell

$11 million: What Arizona will pay Kevin Sumlin to coach for the next four seasons.
    $10.5 million: What Texas A&M is paying Kevin Sumlin NOT TO COACH. Entire payment is due in 9 days.

3. ajcardfan

ajcardfan I see you. Contributor

Yes, Kevin Sumlin has done quite well for himself. If he does something crazy, like win a Pac 12 championship, Arizona will have to tear that deal up and give him a nice raise to keep him.

How much does Miller make? I would guess his salary is right there or even more.

4. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

Must be nice for money to not be an object in a coaching search. Sumlin’s buyout and Jimbo’s deal make Graham’s buyout and Edwards’ contract look like chump change to TAMU.

5. Ronin

Bruce Feldman
    @BruceFeldmanCFB

Former #FAU OL coach Garin Justice is not expected to be retained on the new #Arizona staff. I’m told he might end up getting hired back by Lane Kiffin at FAU who still has an O-line vacancy.

6. Carolinacacti

Carolinacacti Registered

Like the hire. Bring in the 5 star recruits. Hell I'll settle with a four star recruit.

7. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

Carolinacacti likes this.
  8. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero Registered User

Found this on another message board about the UofA recruiting. Is this correct? Doesn't seem like Sumlin will have much of a recruiting impact for next year's team at least.

9. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

Rich Rod had 22 commits when he was fired. A third of which Sumlin probably wouldn't have even offered. There's not much he could do between having too many signed players and being the last coach hired. His staff wasn't complete until a week ago.

I'm glad he kept Joyner and got Doyle late. That gives them a top-25 ranked pro-style and dual-threat QB to develop behind Tate.

10. TJ

TJ Swaggy Head Coach

Sumlin had like 2-3 open scholarships with which to work and didn't have his full staff until a week before signing day. With those scholarships, he was able to reel in a 3/4* QB and 4* transfer WR Keyshawn Johnson Jr. I'd venture to guess that he'll try and lure in a grad transfer, likely at linebacker.

Don't get it twisted: This is RichRod's recruiting class, and it shows how bad he was at recruiting. RichRod thought he could outsmart the system and recruit small players and "coach them up." In the end, he had no depth and was small at key positions, such as the defensive line.

All of the guys that Sumlin has offered are 5*, 4* and high 3* guys. This shows that he's shooting for the moon. While I don't think Arizona will have a Top-10 class with multiple 5* recruits, it wouldn't surprise me if it has a Top-25 class in 2019.

11. ajcardfan

ajcardfan I see you. Contributor

Next year, Sumlin will tear up Edwards' class.

This wasn't like Jimbo Fisher coming in at A&M with two full months to work with. Fisher got 6 four star recruits yesterday, flipping two who had committed to Alabama. Sumlin had no bullets in the gun he was given for this year. Fisher kept most of Sumlin's class and added a couple.

ASU fans will not want to admit they blew it on Sumlin. Remember the day of the Territorial Cup and Sumlin was the hot rumor for ASU? I do. And, instead of a proven recruiter, they bet the house on an old man who hasn't coached or recruited in 30 years. A blowhard whose real job qualification was he was one of the best friends of the Athletic Director.

12. MaoTosiFanClub

MaoTosiFanClub What Goes Around Comes Around

Recruiting rankings are so stupid. Once you get past the top 10-15 programs who everyone knows are going to get their choice of the best players it's all a crapshoot.

13. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

Holy crap. You’re delusional about Arizona sports across the board, huh?