Retooling the Cardinals' Defense

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Mitch, Feb 7, 2018.

1. GimmedaBall

GimmedaBall Registered

I share the view of PP's style of play under BA/Bettcher as less than what PP is capable of. If PP is going to be named to the All-Pro team and be recognized as the best to ever play the position (as he desires), I think he is going to have to be fully involved as a D player and defender and not just a cover guy.

But Daves (and others) may be right in that it is enough for PP to play his way as a cover corner.

We will see how the SW uses PP---he may decide to keep things exactly the way they are. My own reading---given that SW's first principle stated at his opening press conference is 'physicality'---is that PP will be required to extend his game above being a cover corner.

This will be one of the mini-dramas to watch as the new coaching staff puts in their playbook and manages the D. In the meantime, it is a point of contention that allows for no budge room by either side. Tune in during preseason and see what PP is required to do or not do.

daves likes this.
  2. TJ

TJ The Chosen One

Peterson is elite in man coverage, but that doesnt mean he isnt good in zone coverage. One of the fundamental problem with last season's zone defense was poor communication. If you watch, there are a number of plays in which Peterson is signaling that the receiver is entering another part of the zone and that receiver makes a catch. That's not on Peterson.

Ohcrap75 and kerouac9 like this.
  3. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

I bet if he practiced zone coverage all day he'd be great at it

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

4. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

that may be true. still baffling that we switched to so much zone after running man so long

daves likes this.
  5. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

he definitely has the athletic ability

6. WisconsinCard

WisconsinCard Herfin BIg Time Contributor

Another question to ask, is how do we know Wilks "system"? I mean he has never been a head coach, so was he running his defense or was he running the head coach's defense?

7. WildBB

WildBB BB - BIG BIRD

This off seasonwill be interesting for sure. Don't believe they'll move Peterson. He takes half the field almost. He's a main reason for the Cards' blitz packages to be super effective. And I would hope that he's willing to do things Wilks' way. Mathieus' game would also take off in their system. I hope they can work that out. But between him and Buccanon something is gonna need to give there. They can't carry both of those salaries with so many holes on the OL, imo.

Mitch likes this.
  8. gmabel830

gmabel830 It's football season!!

I counted 25 different acronyms in that one post, but I might have missed a few.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BigRedRage and Mitch like this.
  9. NJCardFan

NJCardFan Registered

Only if the Eagles offensive line comes with. Foles will be killed behind our line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk