Retooling the Cardinals' Defense

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Mitch, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Mitch

Mitch Crawled Through 5 FB Fields

Bashad Breeland fits the Wilks' CB mold.

The prize CB in the FA class, imo, is Kyle Fuller (Bears). He will be hotly pursued. Bears want him back, might even tag him.

Ohcrap75 likes this.
  2. daves

daves Registered Contributor

Could Peterson improve his tackling fundamentals? Sure!

But if Wilks can't make his defense work WITH Peterson playing his game, or if Wilks gets Peterson hurt by having him more worried about "aggressive tackling" and taking on blocking guards, TEs, and FBs, than about shutting down the other team's top WR... then the Cardinals hired the wrong coach.

Sheesh.

...dbs

3. kerouac9

kerouac9 Blocked by @Cardschatter

Carolina missed a ton of tackles last season. Let's not get it twisted about Wilks' tough talk compared to what he actually delivers.

Haason Reddick was dreadful as an edge rusher in passing situations last season. I don't understand what you could've seen that would tell you that is what his future is.

4. Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green Registered User

Trading Peterson to the Eagles would be like making your NFC road to the Super Bowl just that more difficult with the talent on defense the Eagles already have. No ,you do not trade him to a NFC contender, especially to the Eagles which just won the Super Bowl as a underdog, makes no sense since then Foles would not be able to overcome the worth of the trade if we have to beat them in the championship and keep up with Wentz

DVontel likes this.
  5. wit3card

wit3card Registered

Reddick is an ILB and he showed that he got better, but that transition got suspended because they moved him "again" like always ... BA moved some players around and in my opinion Bettcher didn't put players in spots to sucseed, I hope that wilks or Halocomb is better, way better.

I hope we see a good D, I did hate that the SB was a pure shutout and the D's could only produce 3 Punt/TO. Was somehow like a College game

6. Arz101

Arz101 Registered

It still makes sense to trade P2 for Wentz. Yeah, I know, it is a pipe dream. But for Foles would be a mistake this franchise cannot afford to make.

7. Mitch

In my opinion, daves, they hired exactly the right guy. There are fundamental aspects of playing defense that all 11 men on the field are required to adhere to. You can't have double standards. There is a fundamental and safe way to take on blocks and a fundamental way to tackle (break down, launch at the hitting zone right below the waist, head up, drive through and wrap). We had coaches who let PP do his thing. That did not work. It wasn't until rookie Budda Baker came into the lineup and started hitting people that the guys around him started to try to follow suit---everyone except PP.

No one wants to see any player get hurt. But, you can't play defense and play not to get hurt. It becomes a weak link in the chain and leads to more weak links, broken chains and double standards. No one is expecting PP or anyone else to play recklessly---but every player should be expected to play aggressively within the framework of the fundamentals. Look at Budda Baker. He's small and light, but he knows the fundamentals and he knows that trying to tackle up around the shoulder pads is a recipe for failure. PP is very capable of making routine plays. That's what should be expected, not pardoned.

Buckybird likes this.
  8. Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green Registered User

My bad, I thought the suggestion was to trade him for Foles. I usually read what most consider long, I am one of those guys which has read Tolstoy's "War and Peace" three times haha, but for Wentz yes. Peterson for Wentz would be a steal but I see Foles and know his whole career to this point like Keenum, and no way in hell am I trading Peterson for the Foles 'of the moment under Pederson'... no way!

9. Vermont Maverick

Vermont Maverick Registered

Mitch-

Your feelings for Peterson are well documented. Let’s just assume Wilks agrees with you that Peterson isn’t a fit for his system. He’s not going to really know that until they put the pads on and play games. That will be long after the offseason trading period is over, and we will have our 2018 QB by then, for better or worse, whom ever it is.

If he comes in here and trades (or suggests that Keim trade) a 7 time in 7 year Pro Bowler before he even has a chance to work with him, he is an idiot. Period.

daves and Solar7 like this.
  10. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

It's a wonder why a 'wussy' like PP21 agrees to run back punts. I mean, why would a guy who supposedly refuses to hit allow the possibility of being hit?

11. Mitch

I am excited to see what Wilks and Al Holcomb can do with PP and all of the talent we have on defense. I don't think trading PP is a discussion point with Wilks and the FO. I was posing a couple of examples in which we could acquire our QB. We are stuck at #15 in the draft and the UFA QB pool is chock-full of question marks.

12. TJ

TJ Swaggy Head Coach

Mitch, I want to believe that you have some sense and truly don't think Peterson is dispensable; but alas, we're here.

13. juza76

juza76 Registered

Thats why he does fair catch or run lateral out of the field for a gain of 1 yard

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Buckybird likes this.
  14. TJ

TJ Swaggy Head Coach

In what system does Peterson not fit? When you are the best at your position, you fit in every system. The fact that we have to have extended conversations about Peterson and his value to this team is maddening.

GuernseyCard, DVontel, daves and 5 others like this.
  15. oaken1

oaken1 Stone Cold

well...PP21 kinda suxx at zone coverage.... not williams kinda suxx, true... but if we had been a zone team the past 7 years the dude wouldnt have 7 pro bowls for sure.

I would anticipate Holcomb adopts a hybrid zone/man defense where we run man on the outside but zones in the middle...allows the staff to run the basic style of defense they like while also playing to player strengths