Red Mountain (NW of Flagstaff)

Discussion in 'Great Outdoors' started by Dback Jon, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

This is one of my all time favorite places in Arizona. Fortunately, was able to explore before there was a formal trail/parking area, so most times had the place to myself.

Eroded cinder cone that you can walk INTO!

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/arizona/red-mountain

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/coconino/recarea/?recid=55160

Red Mountain, located in the Coconino National Forest of northern Arizona, 25 miles northwest of Flagstaff, is a volcanic cinder cone that rises 1,000 feet above the surrounding landscape. It is unusual in having the shape of a "U," and in lacking the symmetrical shape of most cinder cones. In addition, a large natural amphitheater cuts into the cone's northeast flank. Erosional pillars called "hoodoos" decorate the amphitheater, and many dark mineral crystals erode out of its walls. Studies by U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and Northern Arizona University scientists suggest that Red Mountain formed in eruptions about 740,000 years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

[​IMG]

At one time the usually dry stream bed was dammed up - then sediment filled it. Forest Service now has the stairs shown below, but they are more recent. Took my folks there back in the 80's, they couldn't make it up the wall.

[​IMG]

cardncubfan likes this.
  3. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

thanks for posting, I had researched a lot of this to hike it this summer and never made it up there. Maybe ill go soon otherwise ill have to wait until next spring/summer