Questions for those who have had knee surgery

Discussion in 'Body and Health' started by BillsCarnage, Feb 11, 2017.

1. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

So I tore up my knee a month ago skiing - ruptured ACL, grade 1 MCL, damaged both medial and lateral meniscus and some impact fractures of the tibia. Good stuff, I know.

I'm having the ACL reconstruction and the doc suggests a allograft (cadaver). I could also use a chunk from my hammy or a hybrid. If anyone has done the allograft, how has it held up over time? They seem pretty reliable from what I've read.

Also, how long after the surgery were you able to move around with crutches? I'll be able to work at home during the recovery and my plan is to have the surgery on a Thursday and hopefully by Monday I'd be able to prop it up while I work. Is that too aggressive? I can use short term disability, but have to use up all of my sick time first which I'd rather not do.

TIA

2. Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing Don't Stop Believin'

Welcome to the Club!

Seriously though, I feel bad for anyone that has to go through this. I tore my ACL October of 2014 playing hoops. It was a complete tear of the ACL and a bit of bone bruising, so not quite as bad as your injury. Sheesh that sounds bad.

A lot depends on your age. I was 40, so allograft was an easy choice. I actually got an achilles tendon put in there because apparently they are stronger than an ACL.

It's holding up great. I'm back playing hoops at full speed and even stopped using my knee brace this season.

You'll still be in rough shape on Monday. I rarely moved from the couch for 4 days and sleeping was miserable. As long as you have time to break and do your movements you can probably suffer through a workday. I would take a few more days though if you can.

Let me know if you have any questions about recovery, and good luck!

3. Linderbee

Linderbee Let's GO, CARDINALS! Contributor

This is why I never, ever do anything that looks like sports or exercising.

Yeah, that's it.

All kidding aside, this sounds awful. I hope your surgery goes well and your recovery is smooth.

AzStevenCal likes this.
  4. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

Thanks for the info.

I figured the first few days would be miserable, especially sleeping since I'm a side sleeper. I've also got to pick up kids from school, so that'll be a PITA and am thinking of having it done right before their spring break.

5. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

:shock: That sounds awful. I don't have any advice since I've never had knee surgery, but best of luck, Bill.

6. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

people often get taller when their knee grows, ask the doctor about it.

7. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

2wks after the surgery and the Dr has given the ok for 100% weight bearing with brace - was 50% 48hrs post op. Still have to wear the brace locked at full extension which sucks. Overall the worst part has been sleeping in the in the brace and the bruising around my ankle. The brace I used was from my sister and ended up being too short, which is probably half the problem. The actual knee hasn't been too bad; relatively pain free.

Ended up having about 50% of the meniscus removed because of how the tear had folded over and a new ACL installed via allograft.

I'm no pro athlete, but am happy to be at 100% weight bearing at this point. I was anticipating 4wks until any weight bearing. If PT goes well, I might be back to normal in about 2mo after surgery.