Pink Slime - AKA Ground beef

Discussion in 'The Food Forum' started by BillsCarnage, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Rivercard

Rivercard Too much good stuff

A Sprouts grocery store recently opened in my neighborhood. That place is great. A large selection of organic veggies, fruits, beverages, cheese and meat as well as a nice array of un/low processed food. Not sure if they have Sprouts in AZ though.

2. D-Dogg

D-Dogg A Whole New World Contributor

Sprouts is here in AZ.

3. Stronso

Stronso Schweddy Balls

Another avenue you can consider is Community Sponsored Agriculture or CSA's. You buy a share of the co-operative farmers harvest. Food is organic, great prices, and supporting local farmers instead of Monsanto. In NY we were able to get fruit, vegetables and sources for meat and dairy/eggs

Sent via Tapatalk by my BlackBerry Bold 9930

4. Rivercard

Rivercard Too much good stuff

Somewhere along the line "pink slime" became "lean finely textured beef"......

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/28/media/abc-bpi-settlement/index.html

ABC settles suit over what it had called 'pink slime'

After three weeks of trial in a South Dakota courtroom, ABC and Beef Products Inc. reached a settlement in a defamation lawsuit over a series of news reports on the meat producer's use of lean, finely textured beef product -- sometimes referred to by its detractors as "pink slime."

"ABC has reached an amicable resolution of its dispute with the makers of 'lean finely textured beef,'" the network said in a statement. The South Dakota-based BPI sued ABC for more than $1 billion over reports that originally aired in 2012, alleging that the coverage severely hurt its business. In the reports, ABC explained that the product was not unsafe to eat, but that BPI did not label when it was included in its beef. Dan Webb, an attorney for BPI, told CNNMoney his clients were "extraordinarily pleased to have reached a settlement."

"This was a long road to travel for BPI," Webb said in a phone interview. "We felt the trial was necessary to rectify the enormous financial harm that had been suffered by BPI as a result of what we believed to be extraordinarily biased and baseless reporting by ABC in 2012."

In its statement on Wednesday, ABC indicated that it stood by its reporting. "Throughout this case, we have maintained that our reports accurately presented the facts and views of knowledgeable people about this product," the statement said. "Although we have concluded that continued litigation of this case is not in the Company's interests, we remain committed to the vigorous pursuit of truth and the consumer's right to know about the products they purchase." Terms of the settlement have not been disclosed.

5. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

I now buy ground beef right from the butcher and avoid all of the pre packaged ground beef, specifically the one in the tube. I figure that helps. I cant imagine the butcher at frys is putting all that crap in it when they grind up the beef.

Either way I stopped eating fast food (for the most part) and started making my own meals far more. I also dropped a lot of marketed foods and try to stick to meat, veggies, fruits and nuts. Lost some weight, feel better, taste buds changed, progress.

The least healthy intake I have these days is the occasional in and out burger (I consider that healthy fast food) and monster energy drinks. Everything else I make.