Pink Slime - AKA Ground beef

Discussion in 'The Food Forum' started by BillsCarnage, Jan 31, 2012.

1. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

2. Rivercard

Rivercard Too much good stuff

Interesting video. Gotta give Oliver credit. Surprised he got that segment on air considering who buys ad time on that network. Wonder if he is catching any heat with the Beef industry like Oprah experienced.

I'm not a granola guy at all, but buying organic seems to be the only hope for finding suitable food these days. Been trying to stay away from grocery stores and chain restaurants when possible.

3. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

I have too. I really don't have that much of a prob with the 'extra' as it can still be digested. Just about all animal parts are consumed in other parts of the world.

But, it's the ammonium hydroxide, and quantity, during the "processing" part that I'm not too fond of.

4. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

where are you going?

5. Rivercard

My local Trader Joes has a decent amount of organic offerings as well as some minimally processed items. Would be nice to find somewhere larger though.

Restauraunts are a toughie. Cutting out fast food and crossing my fingers elsewhere.

6. BigRedRage

damn thought youd have something good for me. Trader joes is a grocery store too, along with F&E. I buy some things at frys and some at F&E but would love to find local stuff that is not processed.

7. Rivercard

That's what she said. Maybe BillsCarnage and Wallyburger will have some suggestions for us. :grabs:

8. BigRedRage

im trying to start hitting a local farmer market for veggies by harbor freight on mcclintock and warner but its hard to get there in the small morning windows they are there on the weekends.

What I can get it a good deal on made by F&E I take as they dont do artificial stuff or corn syrup so at least it is a step forward.

9. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

Well, there is obviously Whole Foods, but quite pricey. Though they've tried to become a bit more competitive with some items.

The Farmers market downtown on the weekends is good and there is a grocery store at the same locale that sells many of the same items. A lot of the food is both local and organic. http://foodconnect.org/phxmarket/

Schreiner's Fine Sausage is good for local meat. http://www.schreinerssausage.com/

Btw, the video, I think, mostly refers to fast food meat and pre-processed ground meat you'd find in off the shelf items such as chilli, stews, etc.

The video claims 70% of ground beef which is quite a bit.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  10. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

Thing is the ammonium hydroxide is part of the processing, so you'd never know if it's really included.

11. Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl Stand down Contributor

I don't eat meat, so I guess this really doesn't petain to me; however, I've been doing a lot more shopping at the Scottsdale Farmers Market on Saturday mornings. Local stuff and less processing. The prices are a little higher, but I guess you get what you pay for. Many vendors offer meat products.

12. BigRedRage

not sure what that means, all I know is they advertise no additives, no corn syrups and etc in their foods.

13. BigRedRage

Schreiner is organic? Or just local meat? Phoenix is a long way for groceries but checking out the site.

14. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

Processing, in this instance, is how the meat is prepared as an ingredient for something. Ammonium hydroxide is used to kill ecoli in the leftover scraps.

Additives are ingredients as well, such as MSG.

The processing of meat does not need to be included in the label per the FDA, so all you see is "beef" on the label. How that ground beef is made is the point of the video/article.

15. BigRedRage

ah yes, i cant watch the video, explains why i was lost.