Pick Watch 2018

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by JCSunsfan, Dec 6, 2017.

1. hcsilla

hcsilla Registered User

I think when Dunn comes back, they will be probably back on track.

2. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

We are talking about second round picks here, not early first round picks.

My thoughts were the Suns should have picked BPA at #32 in the the 2017 draft. I guess it can be argued that Reed was just that, but the scouting services did not have him going there. Also he had problems with his knee in college. I think this should have pushed him further back in the second round with high potential candidates still available.

The point I was trying to make, I believe the Suns might be overly influenced by what other teams are thinking. Of course this is only opinion but if it were true, this might be an explanation why Ennis and Reed were drafted where they were. It's only a theory.

Let me be clear, I want Reed to be successful. I just didn't think it was the right strategy to draft him this early in the second round. Hopefully he overcomes the physical and mental hurdles of coming back from another injury to his left knee.

3. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

Games to watch tonight.

Detroit vs Portland. Sort half and half here. If Detroit wins they move within two games of Miami. If Portland wins they move ahead of Miami and closer to Milwaukee.
    Indiana vs Washington. Same here both teams are neck and neck with Milwaukee
    Magic vs. Heat. Well, duh. Magic to win.
    Jazz vs Pelicans. A Pelicans win would be good for us tonight.
    Hornets vs Nuggets. I don't think it matters. Both are neck and neck with Miami.
    Bulls and Kings. It depends on what you want to do "catch up" with the Bulls, or "stay ahead" of the KIngs.
    Mavs vs Clippers. I root for the Mavs here. Our own pick is more important than the Miami pick and a win by the Mavs has more impact.

4. Errntknght

Errntknght Registered User

The question is whether to give up on being slotted ahead of Chi, now that they've lost Mirotic and are being rumored to want to move Robin Lopez. Dunn's return wont have that much impact as Jerian Grant is subbing well for him. Same assists & 40% less TO's but 4 pts less scoring. Portis and Lavine are playing again so maybe they'll not lose much ground from Mirotic's leaving. If they shed Lopez, I don't think we have much chance to stay slotted ahead of them. Kings are a lost cause, I'm afraid...

5. ColdPickleNachos

ColdPickleNachos Registered

The Magic and the Heat are in a close one with 4 minutes to go!

6. SirStefan32

SirStefan32 Krycek, Alex Krycek

Orlando beat Miami!

7. ColdPickleNachos

ColdPickleNachos Registered

One word: Magic!

Mainstreet and Carolinacacti like this.
  8. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Here’s where we are in crazyland: 1.5 games from the worst record in the league and 1 game from the 8th slot. There are only 2.5 games separating 8 teams from the bottom.

DevonCardsFan and Poop Head like this.
  9. pokerface

pokerface Registered

Go Mavs!

10. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

The more I watch the more I hope they sit Booker for an extended period of time. They need help bad. I'd be elated to get the #3, #4, or #5 pick but if the Suns can manage to get the #1 or #2 pick in this draft that would be close to winning a championship. Being able to choose between Doncic and Ayton would be amazing. I think those 2 will end up being the choice for whoever picks #1.

11. pokerface

pokerface Registered

UGH! :madarms:

12. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks Registered

I just don't particularly buy into "scouting services". Considering that the Suns picked him that high and that there was likely at least one other team that was prepared to pick him soon after might suggest that actual NBA scouts saw it differently than the draft scouting websites. Either way I personally think it's far too early to look back at this draft and think "what if". Especially considering Reed is just now getting going again after the injury.

Ouchie-Z-Clown and Poop Head like this.
  13. Poop Head

Poop Head Poster formerly known as kingdad

I think some people are really over-analyzing why the Suns selected Reed at 32nd overall. Especially since we haven't had the chance to see him play since he's been injured. He's a 2nd round pick though, it's really not that big of a deal considering most 2nd rounders don't generally pan out. Besides Ulis you'd have to go back to 2009 for the last Suns 2nd rounder that made the team. That was Taylor Griffin and he only played in 8 games. Prior to Griffin they selected DJ Strawberry in 2007 who played 33 games. You'd need to go all the way back to 1995 to find the last 2nd round pick who made the opening day roster. That's how rare 2nd round picks pan out.

Typically there are only 3 or 4 players from each year's 2nd round that have decent careers. Look over the past and unless a team selects a Euro they're stashing for a couple of seasons they don't usually make it in the NBA. If Reed pans out, great, but if he doesn't it's not that big of a deal either. I know Jordan looks like a solid player for Golden State but they have a well established system they were able to plug him into right away and he was able to take advantage of that. Who knows if he'd have worked out here if the Suns selected him considering the struggles our other PF's have had, like Chriss and Bender. I think Reed was selected also because of need, since the Suns needed a good backup for Booker. They also traded for Daniels in the offseason after Reed went down, so they probably had him pencilled in as the #2 SG on their depth chart and the 4th guard off the bench.

Here is a list of all Suns picks, 1st and 2nd rounders, see how many 2nd round selections have panned out. A number of them did but not in Phoenix and not right away like Gortat or Stephen Jackson.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHO/draft.html

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Ouchie-Z-Clown likes this.
  14. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

It's something to talk about... looking at where players are drafted and seeing the hits and misses in the draft. Of course this continually evolves as the years pass and even game to game. Reed is just a rookie.

I agree, it's too early to judge Reed as a player because we have not seen him play much but this is sort of the point. He had injury issues coming into the draft. Now it seems the mental hurdles are as big as the physical hurdle as he fights his way back from surgery. He even says that.

I'm rooting for this young man to recover 100% but this doesn't mean I should turn a blind eye to the options the Suns had on the table at #32, the same way I continually evaluate every draft pick.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...ld-make-phoenix-suns-debut-sunday/1010556001/

15. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

DEVIN BOOKER THE PERSON.

Diversity is wonderful trait, especially when you are the Face of the Franchise. Knowing that Devin Booker is multi-racial, I was curious about his background.

He was born and raised in Grand Rapids. His father is African American and a former NBA player. His mother is of Mexican American/Puerto Rican heritage.

A well rounded background to bring into the NBA and to his leadership role which he has embraced, of course, at a very young age. Especially with a father who played in the NBA.

Congratulations and thanks to his parents who raised a motivated and intelligent young man who wants to be the best. He is a shining star and we are proud of him.