Patriots put franchise tag on QB Matt Cassel

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by moklerman, Feb 5, 2009.

1. moklerman

moklerman Warner = Playoffs

2. Shzm13

Shzm13 Registered

Well Toms injury was pretty damn horrible.

"Career ending" was even thrown around.

Never hurts to have another system QB as insurance

3. moklerman

I agree that Brady will need at least another half a season before he's really back but I didn't feel Cassel was that special. Not $14M special. Of all the teams that I thought would refuse to dish out that kind of money it would have been the Patriots. How the hell do they even have that kind of space? With Moss and Welker and a full training camp, I really thought they would have brought in a solid vet/familiar face and hope Brady gets back sooner than later.

It certainly raises doubts as to whether Brady will be able to come back or suffer the long, possible fruitless return experienced by Culpepper(supposedly his injury was very similar in severity?).

4. Pariah

Pariah H.S. Contributor

Makes me wonder about Brady's injury, too. I guess it's insurance? Take a wait and see approach this summer and if it looks good try and make a late trade?

5. moklerman

How does the franchise tag work in that way? Do they have to keep him unless they are offered two 1's now or can they take less if they choose? As surprised as I am about New England slapping him with the tag I'd be monkeys out of my butt surprised if someone actually offered the franchise price for him. I mean, 2 1's and the huge contract that would follow for Matt Cassel?

6. LukesDad88

LukesDad88 Registered

All it means is that the Patriots get the right to match any offer any other team makes, Until he chooses to sign the tag. If another team makes aqn offer the Patriots don't want to match, but Cassel wants to take, then they are compensated with two first round draft picks.

Let's say Pioli wants him in KC. They offer him a four year deal at $30 million, Twelve up front as a signing bonus. Long term, that's a better deal than what the Patriots can give him, allthough it only averages out to a little above league average. So, the Patriots don't match, he goes to KC, and the Patriots get two additional first round draft picks.

Much better for them than a flat out trade, where they would probably just get a first rounder at most.

7. IAWarnerFan

IAWarnerFan Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!

I thought I saw this before?
    Maybe what I saw was just a rumor tho.:confused:

8. moklerman

thanks LukesDad. I had no doubt that it would be a wise move since the Patriots were the one's doing it but I still can't get past the $14M price tag they're willing to pay. Would it surprise anyone if they already had some other deal in place and they were just setting up the best possible compensation.

9. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Banned

Why would they let him get away for nothing at this point?

They are simply protecting an asset.

If Brady is fine... they'll be shopping him between now and draft day.

10. LukesDad88

LukesDad88 Registered

In all likelihood, they aren't going to be paying a dime, unless Cassel surprises them and wants the money. Even if he's offered league average over four years (which is about 5 Million), and a signing bonus of 5-10 million; while it's less money than he could make one year by signing the tag, it's more stability and money over time, plus he's the starter for that team (which has to be in the back of his mind, too), which offers alot of potential endorsement deals, and the opportunity to renegiate his contract if he does well.

OTOH, he could decide to shaft the Patriots, sign the tag, take the 14 million for riding the pine and take his chances that his stock won't drop too far from one year of no activity.

Frankly, my opinion of the guy's ability is still up in the air. How good of a QB is he? I don't know. How good would Brady have been if he hadn't known the defense's coverages and blitzing schemes? The talent difference between worst and first isn't as much as you might think, and a little bit of knowledge can help you close that gap and surpass your betters.

I'm sorry, there's that Steeler homerism in me, I just can't trust the Patriots...

11. Shogun

Shogun Never doubt Mitch. EVER.

They must be trying to get picks for him beacuse 14M for Cassel is waaay too much. And I hope Tom Brady comes back next season. :(

12. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Banned

The chances of Pioli who is trying to re-build his team giving up two first rounders are slim and none - IMO.

This would be a first and foremost a GM to GM deal on acceptable compensation.

The signing of Cassel is the easy part.

13. Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion

They don't have to give up two 1st round picks. They can negotiate a trade for something less.

14. Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion

please forward to Rod Graves.

15. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Banned

That's my point...