Pancreatitis

Discussion in 'Body and Health' started by DeAnna, Jul 28, 2017.

1. DeAnna

DeAnna Just A Face in The Crowd

Had an attack of acute pancreatitis this week. Had never experienced that pain before, so I thought it was my appendix and went to the ER. Turns out it was my pancreas, which was a surprise to me. Still waiting to see a gastro doctor next week but the ER doc said to follow a ‘clear liquid’ diet for a few days.

The pain has pretty much subsided but from what I’ve read, no fats or alcohol (no wonder the hospital staff kept asking me if I drink, lol). I don’t drink nor smoke but had always tried to adhere to a low carb diet which has more meat/fats. Lately I had been having protein shakes with whey; apparently, whey is hard on your digestive tract. In turn, seems like it caused diabetes (but my a1c had always been just below 6.0) so I question that diagnosis. I already had my gallbladder removed so I know it's not that.

I’m thinking of adopting a low-fat, modified vegan diet instead. Any good resources out there for food plans, recipes, etc? I hate cooking (especially during the summer) so I know it’s gonna be a challenge if I have to cook all my food from scratch … ugh.

2. BigRedRage

BigRedRage badass Contributor

I have nothing to suggest from your questions but I did want to interject that I bet sprouts, whole foods and etc have pre made vegan meals you could look in to for wanting to avoid cooking.

3. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Moderator Contributor

Sorry to hear about that, DeAnna.

I have some vegan cookbooks you can borrow if you'd like. I can help you with questions, too. I know there are some vegan meal prep/delivery companies out there.

4. Kel Varnsen

And some really good vegan restaurants!

Sprouts is great for buying in bulk, too. My super simple go-to meal is some bulk black beans, soaked overnight, then heated in a pan while a cup of rice is in the rice maker. Add some diced veggies and you have a simple, healthy meal that doesn't agitate spice-phobic systems like mine. :)

DeAnna likes this.
  5. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

My wife had a very severe case of pancreatitis. Worst pain she's ever dealt with. Dr said is was the most severe case he had seen. She had a picc line for over a month or so which I had to change in the morning & evening. Not fun at all.

6. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

So sorry you're having to deal with that, DeAnna. Sounds awful! I don't have any knowledge to pass on other than don't be afraid to get a second opinion on anything that feels off regarding diagnosis. Best wishes for a quick recovery!

DeAnna likes this.
  7. DeAnna

Which ones? I"m not supposed to have any oils/fats at all until the inflammation goes down. Have a whole bunch of avocados that are going bad ..sob..

8. DeAnna

Oh wow, that sounds very severe. How is she doing now?

9. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

She's much better now. This was about 3 years ago. She was having a procedure & the Dr nicked or irritated the pancreas which is very sensitive I guess.

Btw thank you for asking. :)

DeAnna likes this.
  10. DeAnna

Thanks for all the tips, guys. I think I found one I'd like to try - The Pegan Food Plan (Paleo+Vegan). My biggest challenge is finding a diff creamer for my morning coffee!

http://www.thethinkitchen.com/going-pegan/

11. Kel Varnsen

My friend really likes a place called Community Cuisine. Supposed to be very good and very reasonably priced. www.yourcommunitycook.com/about-us/

12. Kel Varnsen

I don't drink coffee, so I don't use creamers, but I do like other products from So Delicious and from Silk. In fact, my new favorite drink is Silk's chocolate cashew milk. :)

13. Reign Blood

Reign Blood Tattooed Hundredaire

Stay away from any kind of energy drink. Also avoid huge consumption of caffeine too. The reason they ask for you alcohol consumption is because most alcoholics get this.

14. DeAnna

Yep, I see now why they kept asking me if I drink, lol. Can't even have red wine since I discovered I'm allergic to it.

I'm prone to migraines, so I can't handle energy drinks - they just give me a headache. Even more than 2 cups of coffee a day will give me a headache, as well as wine (and changes in barometric pressure).

I tried some of those but, boy .. they are pure sugar (which I can't have either). I found a recipe to make your own cashew milk which got good reviews as a creamer.

Gonna check out the Community Cook place now ... :)

15. Bada0Bing

Bada0Bing Don't Stop Believin'

This diet sounds fantastic. Pretty much how I eat except I don't go easy on red meats and I have chocolate milk after my weekend workouts. I should probably find a way to insert sesame and pumpkin seeds into my diet. I add flax, chia and hemp seeds and coconut oil to my morning smoothie. I eat plenty of avocados and nuts.

I eliminated vegetable oils a while back. Not easy to do these days, similar to HFCS 5-10 years ago. Lots of avocado oil and butter instead. Even founds some potato chips made with coconut oil.

I make espresso instead of coffee. I don't miss creamer or milk when it's espresso instead of coffee.

According to Mark Hyman, MD, the Pegan diet looks like this:

• Focus on the glycemic load of your diet. This can be done on a vegan or paleo diet, but harder on a vegan diet. Focus on more protein and fats. Nuts (not peanuts), seeds (flax, chia, hemp, sesame, pumpkin), coconut, avocados, sardines, olive oil.
    • Eat the right fats. Stay away from most vegetable oils such as canola, sunflower, corn, and especially soybean oil which now comprises about 10 percent of our calories. Focus instead on omega 3 fats, nuts, coconut, avocados and yes, even saturated fat from grass fed or sustainably raised animals.
    • Eat mostly plants – lots of low glycemic vegetables and fruits. This should be 75 percent of your diet and your plate. I usually make 2 to 3 vegetable dishes per meal.
    • Focus on nuts and seeds. They are full of protein, minerals, and good fats and they lower the risk of heart disease and diabetes.
    • Avoid dairy – it is for growing calves into cows, not for humans. Try goat or sheep products and only as a treat. And always organic.
    • Avoid gluten – Most is from Franken Wheat – so look for heirloom wheat (Einkorn); if you are not gluten sensitive, then consider it an occasional treat.
    • Eat gluten-free whole grains sparingly– they still raise blood sugar and can trigger autoimmunity.
    • Eat beans sparingly – lentils are best. Stay away from big starchy beans.
    • Eat meat or animal products as a condiment, not a main course. Read The Third Plateby Dan Barber to understand how shifts in our eating habits could save the environment and ourselves. Vegetables should take center stage and meat should be a side dish.
    • Think of sugar as an occasional treat – in all its various forms (i.e., use occasionally and sparingly).

Healthy Fats
    • Nuts and Seeds (walnuts, pistachios, cashews, almonds, flax seed, chia seed, sesame seed, pumpkin)
    • Olive Oil
    • Sesame Seed Oil
    • Coconut Oil
    • Avocado
    • Avocado Oil