P90X

Discussion in 'Body and Health' started by Folster, May 8, 2009.

1. D-Dogg

D-Dogg A Whole New World Contributor

2. D-Dogg

Ok, I was NOT going to go back through this program, but my wife is back into it full swing so I think I'll give it one more go. I lost a ton of weight on it last year, then in the last couple of months I put on a good 8 to 10 lbs. I figure that if I get back into it, I'll get to where I wanted to be last go around (I lost 30 lbs, wanted to lose about 40-45 to get totally ripped) a lot quicker.

Ugh...back to good ol' Tony.

3. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Moderator Contributor

Interesting. I lost 30 pounds, too, in my first round. Starting a second round tomorrow. Good luck. :)

4. Folster

Folster The system doesn't work.

5. D-Dogg

Observations:

1) After three days back, I forgot how much I actually loved this program. About 6-7 months ago, I tried to do a second round but replaced some of the exercises with Insanity workouts. That was a mistake. I realize now that the reason I stopped the second time around was because of those Insanity workouts...I HATED them and dreaded them. Doing Plyo a couple of days ago I realized how easy it was compared to the Insanity plyo workout.

2) I also forgot how sore you get in the first weeks of P90X. Very tough to lift my arms today.

3) Replacing Yoga X with Fountain of Youth Yoga is such a great change...we have it tonight and I'm totally looking forward to it. It also has me looking forward to Recovery week...I used to hate that week because of the two 90 minute Yogas.

4) A tip - on days when Ab Ripper is on the dockett, we actually do it prior to the workout (just skip to the end). Then we start the workout and skip the opening 5 minute warmup and go right into stretches. It's a GREAT warmup, it saves about 5 minutes total, and I can't say enough about how good it feels to reach the end of the lifting/pushup/pullup portion and actually be DONE.

3 days down. 87 to go. :)

6. Folster

I haven't received the FOY Yoga yet, but I did Yoga X yesterday. I did the first half before work and the second half when I got home. 45 minutes sessions were tolerable, but it was a little tough to get back into the mindset for the balance and stretching portion later in the day. I also went for a short jog. It was painfully slow because it takes a couple weeks for my knees to get used to jogging again. I'm also really sore and have been hobbling around the past few days.

Interesting tip for ab ripper x. That is a good idea especially since I am pretty tired from its preceding workout. It will be a good way to focus in on abs instead of going through the motions when it's at the end.

That insanity program seems pretty hardcore from your description. How long are the workouts? On a humorous note: Have you seen the infomercials for Body Gospel? It's put out by Beachbody as well which would lower the respect I had for the company if I were unfamilar with some of their other solid products. I can see a niche for a product like that, but they show a couple guys doing it that is laughable.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  7. D-Dogg

That's another really good benefit to it, ESPECIALLY on the legs and back days. Your form is much cleaner before working out. On legs and back days, my legs are so dead that it's hard to keep them straight for ARX.

They are only about 35-45 minutes long during the first month, and an hour the second month. I didn't do the whole program, just chose some from the first month to replace kenpo/yoga/plyo. Cardio Plyo Circuit was the one that killed my soul I think...it is basically non-stop, no time to rest, and you go hard for about 5 minutes straight, then rest for 30 seconds, then go hard for 3 minutes, etc. We poured sweat, but had no fun doing it. P90X is fun.

I saw a 2 minute video for that and laughed, did not see the one with guys though. The one with the chicks was funny enough. They actually made an infomercial for it?? Awesome.

8. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Moderator Contributor

I read an article in Men's Health recently featuring Tony Horton. It said he is now 52. So I guess these videos were made seven years ago or so? Time for a refresh (and let the public vote on who is featured in the videos...some of those people are irritating...lol).

9. D-Dogg

Yeah...the Fountain of Youth yoga video was from just a year or two ago, and he says something about being a half a century old.

I'd love a refresh...

10. Folster

I hate the girl in the Back and Bicep disc(IIRC) She is whiny and says it hurts and sets Tony up lamely for his gun show joke.

11. Folster

12. JS22

JS22 Say Vandelay!

I've heard that P90x "2" is about to go into development and should be ready sometime next year.

13. Folster

Did FOY Yoga for the first time this morning. Thanks a lot Donald.

14. Mulli

Mulli ... Contributor

Yoga rules.

15. Folster

I finished up week 3 yesterday. I was hoping to cap it off with a hike up Camelback, but when I got there were a bunch of fire trucks and the parking lot was closed. So I went home and went on 3 mile jog.

I'm on the recovery week this week and FOY Yoga is a godsend Donald. I'll be going for a jog tonight as well.

So far I've lost nearly 7-10 lbs. (bathroom scale is a bit sketchy) and an inch or so from my waist. Best of all, my pants are getting roomier and I feel much better. I'll try to post some pics after I finish up this week.