P90X

Discussion in 'Body and Health' started by Folster, May 8, 2009.

1. Folster

Folster The system doesn't work.

I started P90X on Sunday, May 3, 2009. My roommate bought the program. It comes with a doorway pull-up bar, resistance bands, recovery drink, and of course the CD's. The initial investment kind of sucked because I dropped over $100 on weights and another $80 on a heart rate monitor.

The program is legit. There is no promise of magic pills or special equipment to get into shape, just intense hour long workouts and a nutrition plan. I will not be following the nutrition plan because of the cost of making gourmet-like healthy meals. I can eat simple chicken, fish and beef meals. I looked at it and determined that it was similar to my workout diet, and I already know what foods are healthy and which ones aren't

The workouts are kicking my butt! I always thought I was in pretty good shape as it is no problem for me to run a couple miles, but wow! I actually threw-up the first day because I was pushing myself too hard to keep up with the demonstrators (still finished the workout though). My heart rate is consistently in the high-end of my target zone for the duration of the hour long workouts.

Here is a layout of phase 1 (30 days).

Day 1: 1 hour of Chest and Back, then 16 min. Ab thrashing.
    Day 2: 1 hour of Plyometrics (killer)
    Day 3: 1 hour of Shoulders and Arms, then 16 min. Ab thrashing
    Day 4: 1.5 hours of intense Yoga (this sucked)
    Day 5: 1 hour of Legs and Back, then 16 min Ab thrashing
    Day 6: 1 hour of kick boxing called Kempo
    Day 7: Stretching or Rest

I'm already seeing minor results from just one week. Anyone who is in decent shape and wants to take their body to a next level should look into this. I'll keep you guys updated and try to get before picks posted.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  2. JS22

JS22 Say Vandelay!

I finish week 1 tomorrow. Then I can finally rest! I'm not in terrible shape, but I was starting to get there. (Put on about 10 pounds the past few months.) Had to cut out the ice cream, soda, and especially fast food. And I'm self-employed, so most of the day I'm basically sitting at the computer. I was in good shape about 5 years ago from swimming laps nearly every day and lifting light weights.

This system is definitely killer. I've always thought it looked a little cheesy, but I'm generally pretty unmotivated when it comes to working out / being healthy. So I had to do something. It's definitely kicking my ass. Plyometrics is nuts. A bit worse than Yoga. "Ab ripper" was awful the first time, but surprisingly the second time around it seemed a bit easier.

3. Brianellsworth

Brianellsworth Registered

I tried this a few weeks ago because I know multiple people who have and continue to do it and they are in great shape. I am not in good shape by any means but I could hardly do 15 minutes of it. It seems like it is a great workout but I should probably be in semi decent shape before I start. Also, I can not do it if someone is in the room with me because some of the moves they make you do make me self conscious but they work well.

You should post some before and after pics just like they have on the commercials!!! Keep us updated as to how it works out for you I would be interested.

4. Folster

Here are my before photos. They were taken today which is actually a week into the program.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I can't wait to see what my results will be.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  5. D-Dogg

D-Dogg A Whole New World Contributor

I plan on doing this starting Jan 1. Have read nothing but good on it, but I want to get into better shape before starting. From what I've seen, if you used to be pretty lean, six pack abs etc, you get that back and then some. Which bodes well for me because I used to have a wicked midsection...that was a long time ago though. Back in Army Reserve days.

Glad to see a thread on this...will check it out over the year. Good luck, you'll be working your asses off.

6. Hazzard29

Hazzard29 Registered

Ive got P90X as well and I have no complaints... great workout. Last time I tried it I got about 60 days through the problem and then hurt my back doing YogaX. At the time I had lost 12lbs and was only 3lbs away from my goal... Ive been healing up for a few weeks and Ill probably just start it all over again.

Good luck guys, cant wait to hear everyones results.

7. Shane

Shane Current STAR Contributor

:lmao:

Gotta get rid of that pillow around your midsection buddy! :)

Oh and quit smoking biznitch!

8. D-Dogg

D-Dogg A Whole New World Contributor

18 lbs down since you saw me Shane. Suck it!!

9. Shane

Shane Current STAR Contributor

That's freaking awesome! Congrats!

10. Folster

Just started week 2 and my performance on chest and back was much improved. Great job and good luck to those who are doing the program now or will in the future. Let's get some more pics up to help keep us motivated and to inspire others to start.

11. thirty-two

thirty-two Cranky Contributor

I'm diggin the pics, boys. Keep 'em coming! :D

:fangirlmoment:

edit: in all seriousness, kick some butt guys. sounds like a tough workout!

12. outoftheashes

outoftheashes Registered

I got this from a friend at work and was going to get started on it next week. I lost about 80 pounds a few years ago and was in decent shape but have put 30 back on due to laziness and football season. Since I am a bit overweight, should I try to shed some of that first before I try this or do you think its ok to use this to assist with weight loss as well as toning?

13. Savage58

Savage58 Defense, Defense, DEFENSE

The big thing with P90X is the diet plan, they write it all out for you, and give you choices on what to eat. Portion control, weighing your food helps, eating 5 ounces of chicken instead of 12 etc.

I'm in week 9 now(and haven't missed a day of working out), my jean shorts that use to scream when I buttoned them up are now loose as heck, my big guns are coming back, but I'm not going to post any pics, maybe after my 2nd go round of P90X. :)

If you guys are going to give P90X a go, go all out, don't cheat and eat Pizza and McDonalds, you'll regret it. Get your mind right and BRING IT!

The eating plan is the secret, diet = 80% working out 20% of the plan IMHO!

Guaranteed results if you are mentally tough enough. GL to you on your 90 days!!!

14. JS22

JS22 Say Vandelay!

I just finished chest and back week 2 as well and nearly doubled many of the exercises from week 1. Don't really look much better imo, but i definitely feel better. Never took pics though. Maybe I should, just to see where I am 2 1/2 months from now.

15. Savage58

Savage58 Defense, Defense, DEFENSE

That sounds like a great start WF. I'm in the same boat, it's very difficult for me to change from years of abuse, eating fast food, overeating, binge eating etc. to eating healthy, my biggest change was cutting out Coke, that has been my drug of choice for 25 years, and replacing that with water, has made a HUGE difference in my calorie intake, which has shown me results and the benefits of not drinking it regularly. I still have 1 or 2 a week now, that I think my cravings for it are under control :) That's the evil inside saying I have control.

My advice would be do what you can, don't force yourself to do anything you can't continue to do on a regular basis, ie never eating Pizza again etc. That won't work for me, but I do cut it back to 2 slices, where I use to eat the whole pizza from pizza mart, mmmm dang those were good.

Don't forget your recovery drink, between 20-60 minutes after your workout, it helps with the soreness and muscle recovery, makes a huge difference in energy level as well.

GL and keep at it!