Our next president can't pass a routine background investigation

Discussion in '2008 Presidential Election' started by Folster, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Folster

Folster The system doesn't work.

http://www.spectator.org/archives/2008/10/17/obama-couldnt-be-cleared

A person that can't even become a simple beat cop will have access to our nation's most sensitive information.

Why are presidential and congressional candidates not required to obtain a secret/top secret security clearance. I guess there may be a conflict of interest with which ever party is in control of the executive branch.

2. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

uh, a great deal of what you posted dealt with Obama not being able to pass the routine background investigation because of his associations, but I guess McCain nefarious relationship with Charles Keating and his friendship with domestic terrorist/criminal G. Gordon Liddy would allow him to pass with flying colors because... uh... why? Or Palin's being married to a someone who belonged to a seccessionist party or endorsing their ideas as late as last year?

yes, they all have skeletons in their closet and no one running could pass these tests.

3. Folster

Awesome. Let's scratch them both and start over. Maybe if congressional and presidential candidates were required to obtain security clearances then we'd have less corruption in our government.

4. UncleChris

UncleChris Retirement Doesn't Suck Contributor

Back to reality. If you detest both of them, go vote for the one you detest the least, lest you end up with the one you detest the most.

5. AZZenny

AZZenny Registered User

I don't think there's a politician alive who could pass a polygraph.

Dubya had a DUI, Cheney had two. I suspect that could affect your security clearance if you weren't an elected -- or appointed -- official. Personally, I consider that a lot more dangerous than being appointed to a board along with a former Weatherman, by one of Ronald Reagan's friends.

6. AzCards21

AzCards21 Registered User

I'm all for a mulligan. That first tee sucked balls let's forget it and try again.

7. UncleChris

The whole premise is a joke. Back in the '70's, I had a top secret EBI clearance, with additional clearances for all sigint classes, plus 5 "special clearances." I spent the majority of my 7 year Air Force career working at the National Security Agency at Fort Meade Maryland.

I got busted for fireworks, was accused of marijuana usage, was written up for insubordination to a civilian supervisor, and got busted for drunk and disorderly (bar fight at the NCO Club). Not only did I not lose my clearances, I was never even threatened with losing my clearance at any time (btw, I DID get an honorable discharge).

Unless things have changed a whole bunch, either one of them could get the same security clearances I had. PCF???? Are you out there??? Is it pretty much still the same out there in spyland???

8. KloD

KloD Registered

Great some hack who writes for a neocon website twists crap like who paid Obama's way through law school. Of course he fails to mention that the money was awarding in a scholarship that Obama applied for and was awarded. No, he has to make it sould like some back room dealing.

Posting this crap is trolling.

9. AzCards21

How the hell is this supposed to make us more confident in Obama? I'm just more concerned about you at this point.

10. Folster

It is a relevant topic. And you have no problem when LIAC and others post from Crooks and Liars, Daily Kos, and similar leftwing sites.

11. UncleChris

What..... for the fireworks or the bar fight???? :D

I'm just pointing out that getting a security clearance isn't what most people think it is. Neither McCain or Obama were involved with nefarious characters in terrorism. I saw nothing in the story that even remotely disqualified anybody from anything.

BTW... I was hardly the "bad boy" of my squadron. I had friends who were guilty of worse things than me that never lost their clearances (DUIs, domestic violence, alcoholism). Now, getting convicted of a felony would get you dropped, true, but they never sweated the little stuff.

12. AzCards21

Those 18 to 28 years shouldn't count against anyone. How can one reasonably think when your brain is filled with ungodly sex drive and the joy of alcohol?

Man, just realized males killed by their mother before the age of 28 should be considered abortion.

13. AZZenny

AZZenny Registered User

Somebody want to remind me what Ayers was convicted of? I know Keating was convicted of several felonies and served time.

14. KloD

KloD Registered

All charges against both Ayers and his wife were dropped. They were convicted of nothing.

I'm guessing that was your point though. The real story is that after McCain claimed to have ending his friendship w/ Keating, his wife and father-in-law continued to have a business partnership with him for a decade.

15. UncleChris

psssssttt..... Don't anyone bring up Liddy.....