OT: Gruden's QB Camp with RG3

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by kerouac9, Apr 16, 2012.

1. kerouac9

kerouac9 Blocked by @Cardschatter

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7760128

Four minutes of video and they never for a second actually talk about football. Topics covered:

- Heisman announcement
    - RG3's socks
    - "How about Washington?"
    - The #1 overall pick

Considering that RGIII is a guy who's coming out of a gimmick offense and has some real question marks about how he'll transition to the pro game, ESPN should be ashamed of themselves.

Remember last year how Gruden went after Cam Newton about being able to call out a play in the huddle? This is a complete stroke job next to that.

ESPN has lost all credibility as a journalistic enterprise. Jon Gruden is a clown.

2. AsUpRoDiGy

AsUpRoDiGy Magnanimous

Redskins will be 4-12 with RGIII as the starting QB :)

3. juza76

juza76 Registered

Cam newton was impressive last season.RGIII will be even better.and better then Luck.

4. Holian

Holian Registered

I think alot of people are really eating their words right now in regards to Cam Newton. Nolan Nawrocki of Pro Football Weekly even suggested that Newton couldn't be trusted because he always smirked when doing interviews.

RGIII is a super smart, articulate guy who is in many ways the anti-Cam Newton at least in the eyes of the media. Newton has alot of qualities that makes him easy not to like.

I made a statement last year suggesting that Cam Newton gets ripped apart for the same things Andrew Luck gets praised for. If Newton dives over the top in the BCS Championship when Auburn already has the game in hand, he is described as selfish, but if Andrew Luck does the same thing he is praised as being super competitive.

5. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

And who can forget Oliver Luck asking Miss State for 200K to sign his son?

Wait, that never happened?

Let's be real the reason people questioned Cam is that his dad was openly trying to sell him to the highest bidder so nobody believes they didn't get paid.

Add in him getting booted from Florida for cheating and people rightfully wondered. It carried over to on the field because of the offense he ran at Auburn.

Turned out he's MUCH better but that doesn't mean people were wrong to wonder about him.

6. Holian

Holian Registered

I agree that Cam has his issues. What I was trying to get at is that there were alot of peope who really piled on just because that was the thing to do.

The thing that always bothered me were the comments about Newton not having enough upstairs to handle the qb position in the NFL. He couldn't read defenses, etc.. RGIII runs a very similiar gimmick offense and yet he seems to get a pass.

7. 52brandon

52brandon Registered

lol, yeah, he get's a pass because he's been in zero trouble off the field... I like Cam, and think his "troubles" were overblown. He had a great rookie year and should only get better

8. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

Because Griffin was a great student, in fact he was going to Stanford except they had this kid named Andrew Luck so he picked Baylor instead.

Newton had to steal a laptop and cheat at Florida to try and stay eligible.

Newton had a terrific year but there were legit reasons scouts questioned him.

9. TJ

TJ Biscuits and Cocktails

Agree. Cam had some major red flags coming out of college and people were fair in questioning his character and football knowledge.

As for RGIII, his success in the NFL is predicated on the situation. I'm not sure he can be successful under Shanahan and the Redskins. He could be if given a year (or even half the season) to observe. Instead, he is going to be thrown to the wolves with mediocre talent on the offensive side of the ball. Unfortunately, the FO and the fans are going to want nothing less than RGIII behind center Week 1. They cannot take another day of Beck and Grossman playing.

RGIII needs to work on his pocket awareness and reading defenses. I'm not quite sure Washington provides him with the best opportunity to learn these skills on the fly.

IMO, the only QB in this draft class capable of having a modicum of success starting Week 1 is Andrew Luck.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  10. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

I'm not sure why this is Gruden's fault. He did a much longer program than this with RGIII and Griffin came out looking great IMO. For some reason, ESPN decided to make available an edited 4 minute section but I clearly remember watching about a half hour of this stuff with Gruden and RGIII. In fact, I'm pretty sure someone linked it in a thread on this site a few weeks back.

Steve

11. Monty

Monty 2010 Cardinals Draft Guru

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  12. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor