OT: Garappolo 5y/137.5M

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Dan H, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Solar7

Solar7 Optimist

The Combine has taught plenty of teams not to go with a guy. It's well documented.

2. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

I've been wanting Jimmy G since he was available in the draft. Kid is going to be good. I would love him or Mahomes on the Cards.

Buckybird likes this.
  3. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

I think an argument can be made for either. My preference would be for Darnold, but I get the Rosen love. Hell, if we made an aggressive move, I would just be happy that we identified the guy we liked the most, and made a move to get him.

4. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

Meh. I'm comfortable with Darnold's character as is, right now. If you need the combine for a QB at #1, the guy probably isn't worth it or you haven't scouted well enough.

5. MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease Moderator Contributor

I think it is way to early to be anointing JG as the next great QB. Yes the Niners won against a bunch of bad teams and a couple that were resting starters for the playoffs late last year.

However the Niners just bet the farm on a guy with 7 starts.

oaken1 likes this.
  6. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

Hey they identified the guy they wanted to tie their careers to, got him, and then signed him. I can support that way of thinking. They know they are going into the offseason with the QB position set in their minds. They can build from there.

I would love for the Cardinals to be in that position.

moklerman, cardncubfan and Buckybird like this.
  7. Solar7

Solar7 Optimist

The Cardinals haven’t even had the opportunity to interview the guy. How can you say that’s enough? It’s like hiring some guy off of his resume and not bringing him in for an interview face to face.

8. MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease Moderator Contributor

The Texans did the same thing a few years ago. They spent big on Brock Osweiler after he had success in a couple of games. The Texans thought they were "set" at QB after signing him...

I hear that Brock may be available if the Cards want.

Solar7 likes this.
  9. Buckybird

Buckybird Hoist the Lombardi Trophy

Great post!

You have to have foresight, a plan & then execute it! People can’t knock JG all they won’t, but imo the kid can play many years in this league. It might not work out with a ring, but they tried.

What plan have the Cards had for a QB lately? We’ve heard Keim & others talk about adding a QB more than once & yet they really haven’t tried to hard. Exactly why the Cards are in the mess they are in now.

The Cards need to adopt this phrase in getting a QB imo: “you can’t be right, if you are afraid to be wrong”. Just my 2 cents lol

It’s time & been way past time!

10. Buckybird

Buckybird Hoist the Lombardi Trophy

Almost everyone with eyes could see that was a major mistake by Houston signing him. He really had shown much when he played. While JG had a smaller sample size, he looked & played the part.

The Texans QUICKLY realized it was a bad move after 1/2 a season & moved on. They went & got their guy in Watson & shipped off no playing ass Brock to a retarded franchise in the Browns.

Like Chopper is saying when have the Cards even tried to draft/sign/trade for a potential young stud QB after acquiring Palmer? They haven’t & that’s the issue.

11. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

JG is going to be really good. 49ers are to going to be the ones to beat in this division very soon.

12. Solar7

Solar7 Optimist

Except for the fact that he helped cover for Peyton's inadequacies for most of the year? That Denver was willing to pay him just a little under what he was paid by Houston?

This is what I hate about the cherry picking. The people saying we didn't do anything are only pointing to wild successes by other teams and ignoring anyone who swung and missed hardcore.

Swinging for the fences and watching our team fail for 3 straight years is going to turn the "at least we tried" fans into "same ol' Cardinals" fans.

WisconsinCard likes this.
  13. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

Are you referencing Jimmy or Sam?

14. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

I don't understand the comparison between the Texans signing Brock, and the Cardinals trading up for Darnold.

15. Solar7

Solar7 Optimist

Well, I was quoting Bucky, so not really talking about Darnold, just talking about risks that don't pan out, since this thread is about Garoppolo and the 49ers taking a risk in securing the guy that they had a plan for.

The Texans were very aggressive, identified their guy, and it blew up in their face.

daves likes this.